VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
64chevy
donivan65
m1dadio
VanGo66
8 posters

Trans mount measurment??

VanGo66

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2010-09-08

Trans mount measurment?? Empty Trans mount measurment??

Post by VanGo66 Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 am

So, i need to fab a mount for my trans but I am in need of a measurement to make things less complicated. Can someone measure from the center of the output shaft to the center of the trans mount?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Trans mount measurment?? Empty Re: Trans mount measurment??

Post by m1dadio Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 am

??? say what? what are you asking, center is center.
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 am

Im looking for a vertical measurement. We're talking a stock 3spd transmission with the round mount cast onto the tailshaft housing. Im using a NON van full synchro 3spd with a bottom mount. Ill be making a "hoop" that bolts to the tranny on the bottom and hangs from the trans mount on top. I need to know how far from the center of the tailshaft the round cast mount is. From the center of the output shaft to the center of the trans mount. Just like i said.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 am

They started using a synchronized transmission in 1966,,,,,,,I put a 69 3 speed in my 1965,,,,,,but you need longer shift rods, a different splined front drive shaft yoke and bellcrank to connect it up,,,,,,,,and the drive gear in the transmission for the speedometer might not be right,,,,,,,,,here is a choice of TRANSMISSIONS I put in Chevy Vans,,,,,,,,and a 3rd Gen transmission crossmember works pretty good,,,, IF,,,,,you want to put a normal transmission with the mount on the bottom in a van,,,,,,,

Trans mount measurment?? Transf10

Trans mount measurment?? R4g10

Trans mount measurment?? 700r4a10
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Why not just measure the distance using your old transmission? The center to center on the new tranny should be made to be the same.
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Thats just it 64, I don't have an old trans to base things off of. I know where i can get one but i don't want to crawl around in the mud to dig it out just yet. Based on the info donavan posted i may be doing some other mods too.
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:17 am

Donivan I see that 700r4 has the cast tranny mount in it. Will the 700r4 bolt up to a 250? if so how do you get it to shift correctly? What year 700r4 would be needed to make it shift correctly?
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:39 am

You can bolt the 700 right up to the 250 no problem. all you need is the lockup control module so she's shift correctly. I have plans to run one behind my old GMC 302, though that will take an adapter.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:56 am

with respect to "shifting correctly" there is no magic to the 700R4. They install and shift just as simply and correctly as any th350 or th400. The shifting is 100% hydralicly controled just like all other auto transmisions. The trans has to have no internal problems and you must rigg the throtle position cable corretly. Also and BUT, an incorectly wiried up TCC can make the hydraulic part of the shifts all wrong.

The only thing people get unnesssesarily all freaked out about is the TCC lock up which is actually quite seperate from the rest of the trans. The problem here is most people can't get the TCC to work right because they are afraid to change the wiring and switches inside the oil pan . And there is alot of BS out there implying that they are all the same inside and all you have to do is buy someones external wire kit. The TCC is not rocket science , it is a simple switch and solinoid inside the pan connected to a couple external electrical controls. There are kits that have everything you need to change inside the oil pan.

The biggest problem by far with the TCC is that there are about 32 different switching and wiring configurations under the oil pan, from GM set up for whatever vehicle that trans was in. some have extra switches opperated by tempature and some alow 3rd and 4rth gear lock up. You need to change that internal switches and wires to something very simple to work in your van. Its actually very easy to do but most people don't correct it and then sit there scratching their head and concluding that the trans is no good.

M1D
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks for the info M1,

Before to long I might be asking you wire questions about my 200-4r.

VanGo, you may have to drop the engine a little to keep the transmission from hitting the floor before the pan is level.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:42 am

That ring mount is what Chevy used to mount a normal TH350 automatic transmission in their 2nd Gen vans,,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,,the 700R4 is longer so that ring does not line up,,,,,,SO,,,,,,,,you could move the engine forward,,,,,OR,,,,,,,,make an extended version of that mount like VanAgain did to put a 700R4 in his 65 SportVan Deluxe with a 250 engine in it. You got to figure out how to hook up the Throttle valve cable from the trans to the carb linkage,,,,,,,,and run a wire to unlock the torque converter to the brake light switch,,,,,,,but its all working right now,,,,,,,,,

Trans mount measurment?? 700r4_10

Trans mount measurment?? Vanaga22

Trans mount measurment?? Vanaga23

Trans mount measurment?? Trans_10

Trans mount measurment?? Trans_11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:33 pm

I think M1Dadio got to get up close and personal with those solenoids and pressure switches the hard way,,,,,,,,and I think it was due to a computer controlled engine trying to shift a non computerized transmission,,,,,,,but the answer to your question on what year 700R4 to get is,,,,,,get one that came out of a vehicle that did not have a computer in it,,,,,,something like 87-93 or something like that,,,,,,,,and they did have problems with the 1st couple of years that the 700R4 came out,,,,,,,,,, or get a brand new one like VanAgain did,,,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Its quite simple: The 700R4 is generally a good trans. The first few years (pre 87) had problems with light wieght parts and things like that. Like Don said 87 on to around 93 are the simple ones, thats what I'm talking about. All those years were computer guided engines. Seperat from that fact, they also had many differnt wiring set ups inside the trans pan that had nothing to do with the computer. Just Like my 1988, which I had to re-wire inside. I had the damdest time trying to get mine to work and that was because mine was wired internally for a 1993 truck with four preasure switches and two heat switches and a forth gear switch that worked opposite of what was needed. Ablsolutly the only thing my computer has to do with the trans is to "at times" provide an electrical ground to the TCC solinoid (your 700R4 should have the solinoid grounded inside the trans pan through a presure switch or two) This is to alow the TCC to engage IF the other external controls "agree", (brake pedal switch and/or Vacuum switch) also alow for engagement, but all switches have to agree its time. The computer on my machine is nothing more then another off/on switch that your van wont have. Seriously, its not rocket science.

The later years of this trans that has many solinoids controling each gear shift is called the 40lLE or the 60 LE and the 80LE. That is the series of trans that must have the moduel to control the shifting.

Basically in you 700R4 there is a solinoid that alows oil presure to go to the TCC and lock it up. That soliniod is two wire, power and ground. The power wire comes out of the trans and through a brake pedal switch that opens the cercuit when brakes are applied(dissengaging the TCC) and you can also have that power feed through a vaccum switch so when the engine load increases too much; increased manifold vacuum will brake the power to the TCC and disssengage it. You can get an adjustable vacuum switch, recomended.
    The ground side of the TCC solinoid can also be switched (my computer does that, it uses all kinds of imformation from many other sensors to decide, but essntially all it can do is say yes or no for TCC lock up, what I like is I can program what thoses values must be. I can very easily change up exactly when and how my TCC works and at what speeds it can or cannot engage at.

For your 700R4; some afternmarket kits just ground the TCC solinoid to the trans case in the pan and bypass any internal presure switches. I don't recomend this as it will alow for TCC lock in both third and forth gears, I think that makes problems. I also don't recomend using just whatever presure switches are in the trans valve body untill you know what they are and what gallary they are in. Some are in the third gear passage some are in the fourth gear passage. Some factory switches are heat sensative to dissengage the TCC it the oil geats to hot(which it can if you are not running the external vacuum switch) Some factory switches either one or two pin, may ground or not and/or may be normally open or normally closed. I recomend a kit that provides a normally open single poll switch that is installed in the forth gear port. With the ground wire conected to this switch you will get TCC lock only in forth gear. You need to have your power wire through a manifold vacuum switch and I highly recomend a normally closed switch be used on the brake pedal to dissesngage the TCC the instant you touch the brake pedal.

M1D
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm running a 700 out of an 83 Camaro, simple and easy, I doubt a 6 banger is gonna tear up those "weak" parts.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't mean week as in no good, What I mean is in later years they beefed up a few items.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 pm

The fact is that they made some some changes to make the 700R4 more durable,,,,,,,,so in reality we have 3 editions of the 700R4,,,,,,,the original,,,,,the modified ,,,,,,,the electronic,,,,,,and there is a code on the side of the case that tells you which one it is,,,,,,,,just in case you don't want to shell out the 2 grand for the modified hot rod ones,,,,,,,but all the information is good,,,,we need to learn as much as we can to make the choice that fits our needs,,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Trans mount measurment?? Av1xui10

you can see on this guide that the three letters, which are codes that can be deduced from a shop manual for that application, indicate that the engine size is identified ( the v6 trans is built lighter then the v8 trans) and "solinoid wireing type" is what I was blabering on about. My GM shop mannual for the 1988 fire bird (donner car) shows 23 different internal wiring/switching configs for just that year and model alone. My whole point in all this is that most people think thier trans is junk because it dosn't act right and in reality many transmisions are junked when all they need is the internal wiring to be matched up to what it is being used in.

I don't think any of these transmisions are considered "not good". I really think only some body into serious performance or a transmision rebuilder might notice any difference. For what we use them for any year is fine as long as the trans is good. You might want to stick to a V8 trans though.

Also I do believe its the later years that become increasingly more complex in the internal wiring and most of those aftermarket kits return them back to the simple opperation. And its easy to change

The biggest problem I had with mine was believing I had one year and model of trans until I opened it up to fix it and found out it was not at all what I had been led to believe it was.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:09 pm

,,,,,,,,,,,the good part is I am sitting here and in 5 minutes I learn the information that took M1D probably weeks and some money to figure out,,,,,,ain't the internet wonderful?????
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 am

' love the net! That's how we all got to meet up as well!!!! Smile
    B.W.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43 am

Couple other things about beliving your trans is no good.
    Because of where the TCC draws its oil presure souce from; it the TCC is electriclly activated and trying to lock up right from the get go it will make the 1,2,3 and 4 shifts all hapen way to early. Did I say too earl, no I ment way way too early like as in (all els being correct) moving away from the stop sign at normal city acceleration you will be in fourth gear befor you get to 30MPH. Most guys who just installed there trans go stright to the logical thought that the TP cable is too tight. So they jerk with that until there fed up and conclude the trans has a problem and is no good.

When you want to adjust the TP cable and/or just feel how your trans is shifting. Simply unplug the TCC wireing from the trans and test drive without it.

Also many of these lock up trans have a grounding switch wired into the 3rd gear oil gallery so the TCC can lock in 3rd. I think this is not good especialy for older transmisions and alot of re-builds. I have whitnessed the TCC lock in 3rd and stay locked through the 4rth gear shift. This makes for a hard 3rd/4rth shift and depending how much ware the trans has it can also cause some kind of miss alingment of shafts and you get a vibration in 4rth. Just touching the brake pedal releases the TCC and the vibration is gone and does not re-occure even when the TCC re-engages in the allready established 4rth gear.
    This was happening in my trans so I eliminated the 3rd gear lock up capability.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:19 pm

OK M1D,,,,,,,since you are closer to the chart than I am,,,,,,,,what are these 2 transmissions laying in my garage,,,,,,,9TJ074N and 7YWM147H???? There is a decal with the code and barcode like on the left side of the bellhousing on these 700R4 transmissions,,,,,,,in case you forget your reading glasses trying to read the stamping above the right rear corner of the pan,,,,,,,,,,

Trans mount measurment?? 700r4_11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am