VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
eco
A100Sportsman
BILLS66
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
Van Halen
wylee
61econoline
m1dadio
15 posters

polishing your alluminum/magnesium wheels

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Empty polishing your alluminum/magnesium wheels

Post by m1dadio Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Heres something you should try if you need to polish your mags.

I spent the $90 on all the crap, the superduty wax, the pollishing tools. the rubing compounds. That process takes about an hour a wheel and though I have done it many times befor, I have just never been all that happy with the results.

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels DSCN0551

Sure the wheels get shiny and clean but they just never get that whiter then Casper look that new wheels have out of the box.

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels DSCN0555-2

Well I discovered the secret today. After trying to polish the first wheel and not being happy with it I decided I would wash off all the wax and polish right down to the alluminum and start again. I figured my wool buffing wheel needed cleaning at the same time. So I poared "fantastic" out of my 1 gallon jug right into the wool pad and used that to scrub the wheel.

Well that fantastic on the buffing pad lathered up into a thick foam so much so that I coldn't see the wheel, so I just did the whoile wheel. I had to use the garden hose to rinse it all off and I couldn't believe my eyes. The wheel was soo brite it was like a mirror finish and silver-white like new alluminum.

The foamed fantastic acted like a cleaning lubricant and the wool polished the wheel.

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels DSCN0554-2

The pictures just don't do it justice. But If you look into the reflection on the left of each wheel inthe two individual pictures, you can see the biege metal building towering up to the sky. On the polished wheel is a bit blured, on the fantastic wheel its almost a mirror image.

Belive me to see them in person its a huge difference.

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels DSCN0553-1

The fantastic wheel is on the right.

By the way, I didnt bother polishing the other three wheels, they all came out the same with the fantastic. I used 1/2 gallon of fantastic $2 worth to do four wheels.

M1D
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Empty Re: polishing your alluminum/magnesium wheels

Post by 61econoline Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Might be a dumb? but did you use the buffing wheel on the buffer or did you just soak it in "Fantastic" and do it by hand?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Empty Re: polishing your alluminum/magnesium wheels

Post by m1dadio Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm too much of a lazy ass to do them by hand.
    I used the wool buffing wheel on the grinder, A little high speed for buffing and polishing paint but ok for clean metals.

As I said I pored the fantastic ( about 4 oz right on the nut in the middle) onto the that "wet"wool buffing wheel you see and went at it. And I did the same with the smaller one on the drill for in the wholes. With both machines , the fantastic quickly lathered up into a thick foam. It is the speed of the machines that made it wip into a lather about like whipping cream. It only took about 5 minutues to do each wheel. Just don't let it dry, one I had to add a little more fantastic. Then I flipped the wheel over and did the painted inside, all the brake dust and road grime came right off with the fantastic. It was awsome! None of it was done by hand, 5 minutes!! done!

My wheels were in fairly good shape allready, I had polished them last year and the year before using the rubbing compound and same machines. They were quite bad when I bought the van.

Before any buffing they looked like this, after buffing with rubbing compound they looked like the first picture.
    polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Dscn0011

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Dscn0012

Now
    polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Dscn0512

M1D

Last edited by m1dadio on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:49 pm

One more tip:

before starting with compound or wax or anything, spray the tires with that tire rejuvinator or armourall or whatever and rub it in. Then wipe the exccess off the rim . That will prvent the tires from having wax stains as the splash wont stick on the rubber.

If you ever got wax or rubbing compound onto dry rubber or black plastic and tryed to clean it out afterwards you know what I am talking about.

M1D
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 920
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:37 am

dam nice, thanks for the tip......
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:39 am

Very nice!!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:58 am

Wonder if this would work on chrome rims also???? I also hate cleaning rims
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7901
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:00 am

Great timing Michel !

I just got a set of "Weld" wheels and will try the Fantastic & Woolie later today.

Dan

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Weld_w13

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

polishing your alluminum/magnesium  wheels Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Dan,your welds look like they are in nice shape,My wifes daily driver for 9 years (years ago ) was a 79 2wheel drive big block suburban and I had welds on it . I used heavy metal liquid wheel polish once every 6 months on it. I spent 6 minutes per wheel polishing them (with a rag) and they allways looked new. Bill
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Tried the Fantastic. Didn't work very well on these. Went and got some "Mother's" Aluminum polish and did one wheel, it looks much better. Will try some Diamond plate polish I have tomorrow and see what happens...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Would that work on my dog dish hubcaps? They're aluminum and I can't seem to polish them.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:58 pm

I tried the fantastic with poor results. Mothers worked much better
    A100Sportsman
    A100Sportsman

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-10-24

Post by A100Sportsman Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:09 pm

cool I'll try that. Not sure if you have any stock hubcaps on your vans, but do you know if they would work on them?
    eco

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by eco Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:38 am

I will post the name of the aluminum cleaner/polish that I use when I get back out to my shop. Best cleaner/polish that I have found bounce . I use it to polish on vintage motorcycles everyday.

Eco
    http://www.retro-cycles.com
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 am

Heres an older product from the 50's = Semichrome polish- motorcycle shops sold this and was a small tube & worked great-might look 4 it
    eco

Post by eco Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 am

Check it out. Green Magic Plus.

http://www.greenmagicplus.com

That's some good stuff!
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 am

Looks good but their not showing how much elbow greese is required to get that polish. Thats the important part.
    There are lots of products that polish but they all take hours of hard work to get a shine.

M1D
    eco

Post by eco Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:06 am

Put a drop or 2 on a clean cloth, rub until the corrosion(aluminum) turns black, wipe it off. Before you know it, you are looking in a mirror.

Eco
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 am

Here is a page that covers it from one perspective.
    The restoration is about 2/3rds down.
    http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/
    I prefer to completely clean the wheel as much as possible, then if you want a polished finish, use polish and any tools you have that can get into the various areas. Always finish with an overall rub out by hand.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:31 am

Heres a fix for those alunimum wheels or anything alunimum. Get a chemical from the power washer sellers - commercial - Thats called aan =Acidize solution cleaner. It can be under different names - can be used with a spray bottle or thru a power washer. It is actually a acid solution that removes all the dull corosion on alunimum parts. Made specifically for alunimum large semi trailers. when used spray on = wait a little & spray off - the end result is exactly like when the alunimum was new -bright & shiny. Most sell by gallon or 5 gall & even in 55gall drums- a gallon will last a long time .=Happy Vannin
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 am

Okie-Dokiee...

I've tried most all the others. Most turned out to be just "Snake Oil" Rolling Eyes With very limited success.....

Lets see if I can find some "Acidize solution cleaner" and will let you know how it works.

Yeah, at this point I'll try about anything!!! Razz

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Id try that acid stuff ona spare rim first, I have used it on fuel tanks, clean yes,, shiny maybe not.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Joe, that's a real good idea. I pulled out the "test rim" earlier. Can't seem to find it anywhere..

Matt, Any suggestions on where to find this aan =Acidize solution cleaner stuff?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 746
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:32 pm

That "acidize" stuff is used at truck washes and is generically called brightener or acid wash..... Use rubber gloves when handling and be aware that it can dry in a cloudy streaky finish and require a lot of polishing to fix..... turns the aluminum white.... I wouldnt use the stuff myself, EVER!
    The Fantastik thing is intriguing: I'm wondering if it's chemically similar to 409, Bleche White, or Purple Power (?) and I'm also wondering if the buff wheel had residual polishing compound on it and maybe the  fantastik was releasing and using old compound similar to what would happen if you added diesel fuel to a wheel that had lots of blackened compound on it..... Really, good old fashion red and white compounds are great for polishing wheels as long as they aren't clear coated......My 2001 Astro van wheels had a factory clear coat that got looking really funky and after stripping with acetone, those wheels look polished!
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:04 am

Im betting that he had a well used buffing pad when he used the fantastic. The cleaner wet the old compounds in the wool and that's what did the actual polishing. Not the fantastic its self

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:30 am