VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

suggestions for polishing headlight bezels?

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

suggestions for polishing headlight bezels? Empty suggestions for polishing headlight bezels?

Post by Magic Bus Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 am

I have a set that are in good shape, just dull. Wondering what the best way to shine them up w/o actually chroming them. Aluminum polish, fine sandpaper?

I know somebody on here has already did it.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

suggestions for polishing headlight bezels? Empty Re: suggestions for polishing headlight bezels?

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 am

semichrome =polish if alunimum- get at motorcycle supplys.There are others made for alu. yet ive used that for 50+ years now-best for me
    cheers
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

suggestions for polishing headlight bezels? Empty Re: suggestions for polishing headlight bezels?

Post by BvrWally Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 am

Mine were "Polished" for the EconoBar! My body shop guy suggested this, as to "Chrome Plate" them was @ $200 each!!!!! Sad
    suggestions for polishing headlight bezels? JasonsVantoonsbehindtheEconoBar
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 am

Yep, elbow grease and an aluminum polish!
    If you use one of the foam balls used for wheels, try not to push very hard.
    Either do them off the van OR take it off, put a sheet of heavy plastic behind it and screw it back on. Polish it up, then install or remove the plastic and reinstall.
    You can screw it to a piece of plywood or something similar so you can control the drill with both hands.
    There are a ton of you tube videos on how to polish, I'd look at them, but remember that a casting is different than a pressed sheet. Ususally, trim will come back nicely with just polish, but can really be made super nice by starting with 400 grit sandpaper and going through 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit before polish.
    Also, if you go through the whole sandpaper and compound process, it is very messy and safety gear is important.
    At a minimum, goggles, mask and coveralls.
    Using a buffing wheel on a grinder can be dangerous to the part and you! Practice on something similar to get the feel for how to move around without getting you or the part caught in the wheel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:45 am