VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Getting Started

Armison

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Getting Started Empty Getting Started

Post by Armison Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 pm

I bought my Falcon in 1992 from a gentleman named Manny Montoya, a retired iron worker hailing from Westminster, CA. The van was in pretty good running shape and was originally from Denver which is evident by the cancer in the lower panels. This baby was my daily driver and occasional mobile hotel for approximately 8 years. I am ashamed to say that she has been sitting for the majority of the last 8 years. I've been saving my nickels and dimes to fulfill this vow I made to restore her to her former glory or better. As you can tell by the photos this will be no small or inexpensive undertaking but it's time to start moving in the right direction.

I am not the most mechanically inclined guy and lack knowledge, skill, know-how, equipment, experience, time and space to accomplish this restoration but I am determined to see it through. This forum has been a ton of help with regards to parts, how-to's, etc.

I am thinking of starting out by having her towed to a solid mechanic who preferably knows vintage vans and who can do a complete go-through of the engine & transmission, rolling chassis, suspension, breaks and detail the engine. I think this is a logical 1st step - to get it running and back to a reliable ride, then move to the body work and interior.

My question to the group is does anyone have a recommendation for a shop or an individual for hire here in the greater Southern California area (I'm in San Clemente) that can help me with step 1? I'm not in a huge hurry but I'm looking to have it done right. Looking forward to hearing comments suggestions and how to go about this long overdue project.

I bought my Falcon in 1992 from a gentleman named Manny Montoya, a retired iron worker hailing from Westminster, CA. The van was in pretty good running shape and was originally from Denver which is evident by the cancer in the lower panels. This baby was my daily driver and occasional mobile hotel for approximately 8 years. I am ashamed to say that she has been sitting for the majority of the last 8 years. I've been saving my nickels and dimes to fulfill this vow I made to restore her to her former glory or better. As you can tell by the photos this will be no small or inexpensive undertaking but it's time to start moving in the right direction.

I am not the most mechanically inclined guy and lack knowledge, skill, know-how, equipment, experience, time and space to accomplish this restoration but I am determined to see it through. This forum has been a ton of help with regards to parts, how-to's, etc.

I am thinking of starting out by having her towed to a solid mechanic who preferably knows vintage vans and who can do a complete go-through of the engine & transmission, rolling chassis, suspension, breaks and detail the engine. I think this is a logical 1st step - to get it running and back to a reliable ride, then move to the body work and interior.

My question to the group is does anyone have a recommendation for a shop or an individual for hire here in the greater Southern California area (I'm in San Clemente) that can help me with step 1? I'm not in a huge hurry but I'm looking to have it done right. Looking forward to hearing comments suggestions and how to go about this long overdue project.

Thanks All
    Jason

Getting Started Dscn1124

Getting Started Dscn1125

Getting Started Dscn1123

Getting Started Dscn1126

Getting Started Dscn1127

Getting Started Dscn1128

Getting Started Dscn1129

Getting Started Dscn1132

Getting Started Dscn1130

Getting Started Dscn1131

Getting Started Empty Re: Getting Started

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:23 pm

Nice looking van, I really would like to do a window van next. I started with a van with probably as much rust as yours. I took it to a mechanic first and had the brakes redone from the pedal to the back axles. Had him do a tune up and had the carb rebuilt. All this before I did any work on the body. It's rewarding to see a van come back to life, good luck on yours!

Rob
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:41 pm

Welcome Jason! I've got a 64 Econoline Falcon that is new to me, and has already tested me!

If your first concern is the engine, I might recommend having a mechanic do some simple things to get it running, as the engines aren't very complicated. Necessity had me replacing the gaskets in my engine as I coped with a serious overheating issue (kinda horse before the cart, but I learned a lot), and I detailed the engine while I was at it. The tools I have are very basic. Just a suggestion if you have done some work on more familiar vehicles before... these are in a way simpler than more modern vehicles.

Mike (Vanishing Breed) has had some beautiful work done in the Berdoo area... hopefully he will have some suggestions.

Are you planning on doing any portions of the resto yourself? That's a big way to keep money in your pocket. Just take time with the steps you're learning. Get a good manual. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I just read a post about work you were doing... I'm sure there is a lot you are capable of doing! If you're not sure, one area would be disassembly... do one thing at a time, lots of releasing fluid on tough seized bolts, bag the hardware and label take pictures, and you'll be able to reassemble when the time comes. like remove chrome to be sent off for polishing / rechroming, remove seats and stuff for reupholstering... body work will be cheaper if you don't have to pay the labor for removing that stuff...

Look forward to hearing more from you about you and your project!
    Armison

Post by Armison Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Has everyone already seen this? I found it pretty helpful.

http://1965econolinepickup.blogspot.com/
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Post by wacko Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 am

Wow

That's great. Lots of information and they are doing a very nice job.

Thanks for the link Armison.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

I have visited this blog... full of great stuff! Thanks for the reminder... the guy is fixing other things all the time!

Armison wrote:Has everyone already seen this? I found it pretty helpful.

Armison

Post by Armison Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Well it only took another 10 years to get this going but we're off and running on the restoration now.

now.Getting Started Img_0012
    Getting Started Img_0013

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:47 pm