VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RodStRace
Scott
donivan65
G-Man
8 posters

removing the steering column????

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

removing the steering column???? - Page 2 Empty Re: removing the steering column????

Post by G-Man Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks Joe I'll take it
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

removing the steering column???? - Page 2 Empty Re: removing the steering column????

Post by Scott Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 pm

RodStRace wrote:Scott, I'd suggest offering your pages to this site:
    http://www.oldcarmanual.com/
    I'm sure they would be happy to host your info. You could point to it there.

Thanks for the link, but right now I'm having fun with it. When I have to travel for work it gives me Van stuff to do while I sit in a hotel at night.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for all the pics and suggestions as I too am removing my steering column. Other than a dent in the column tube and fried blinkers it seems pretty okay. Very little play which kind of amazes me. Anyway, I want to get it out to clean it out inside and out and to clean up anyrust in that section of the frame. Am going to try something I've done in similar boxes on VW busses. That is, clean it out and fill it back up with synthetic axle grease like Mobil 1. I know this might be a prob in really cold climates yet that synthetic grease has a super low gell point. Hence, I've never had even on a cold day it feel hard to turn. Anyway, after using synthetic grease in a number of boxes, they really turn smooth and easy afterward and (it's probably psychosomatic) yet they seem to have less play as well. Wish me luck with the pitman arm, they are always a bear if never R&Red before. Thanks again!!!
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 am

Got my steering assembly out easier than most. Looks like somebody had put copper anti seize on shaft of pitman arm--hence it came out with minimal time and my gear puller just fit. The dent on my steering column shaft turned out to be the factory indent for the stock strap.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm

That flat spot on the column is for the wiring harness to pass thru between the strap and column. Not pretty but it keeps it from floppin around.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun May 16, 2010 4:35 am

Went down to Ididit on Friday told them what I had and they had all the parts in stock to make the change to a aftermarket steering wheel
    removing the steering column???? - Page 2 00110
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun May 16, 2010 6:03 am

Ooooow! Now that's pretty!!!! Don't even want to know the $$$$...

Very nice!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

removing the steering column???? - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 am

It's really wasn't that bad. I had a 30% off coupon that helped. It's a tilt column which pushed up the price a little. The stuff you need to make it work adds a little. All in all it was about $350. If I restored a stock one it might have been $150 I bet. My old column had nothing no wiring, horn stuff would have had to be painted it was a mess
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun May 16, 2010 6:46 am

That opens you up to a larger steering wheel selection also I would think ?? Yep sure is pretty.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun May 16, 2010 9:04 am

Joe I got a new one @ Ididit, there display was damaged so they ordered me a new one. I'll post a picture when it comes in

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Do they have steering columns for manual ones? Wondering if your install went well too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:14 pm