VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Rewire Electrical System

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Rewire Electrical System Empty Rewire Electrical System

Post by southern man Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:26 pm

I tried to post this question in the alternator thread, but for some reason it disappeared, and perhaps it warrants its own thread.

I am about to do the interior of my 64 Econo, but now I'm concerned that perhaps the 45+ year old wiring should be replaced before I cover a lot of it up. What kind of job am I looking at? Are there wiring harnesses' available (I assume no, but can't hurt to ask). I want to upgrade my alternator and will be having a dual battery set up with a battery isolator. It is my plan to run the stereo and separate amp directly to the back up battery, thereby not putting a strain on the existing wiring. Should I just inspect the heck out of every inch, or will that even tell me anything (other than an obvious place that has had the insulation rubbed or scraped)?

I know enough about electricity to be dangerous, but these vans seem pretty simple so I'm wondering if I should just take it on for the peace of mind aspect. Opinions???

Rewire Electrical System Empty Re: Rewire Electrical System

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I used a painless 21 circuit system in my 66 Econo. They are easy to install.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 pm

If you plan on keeping the van you better do it. 1st thing is add a fusible link to the feed line like at the starter relay,,,,,in this way,,,,WHEN,,,,not IF,,,,the wiring shorts out it just blows the link instead of catching your van on fire. If you just work 1 circuit at a time, then it is not too hard,,,,,,,it looks complicated, but break it down into little pieces. Like do the charging system 1st and you will be all fired up to go on to the next system. I like the idea of putting a battery isolator in the van, Kragen has them,,,,,the output of your alternator goes to the center terminal and splits the charge to each battery,,,,and diodes keep the batterys separate
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 am

It is definitely worth rewiring your van. I recently ripped every single wire out of mine, and was shocked to see just how brittle the wire had gone over the years. It looked ok on first inspection, but once i started pulling it out i came across numerous possible fire starters...!!!

Also, the amount of unfused wires comcerned me as well...!!!

I always make my own looms up. Very simple for a basic system like ours, and is definitely something to consider if you know enough about electrics. It is especially good if you are modifying the system a lot.

I upgraded to an alternator in mine, and will be fitting seperate leisure batteries with some sort of split charger system. I haven't decided how to do this yet as there are lots of options, some more expensive than others. My leisure batteries will be used to power the fridge, tv and lighting inside. Everything else will run off the main battery.

Which battery you use for the amp and stuff depends on whether you plan on using it a lot without the engine running. Also, it would depend on your alternator rating, although most are pretty decent nowadays....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 am