VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Belly pan louvers

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Belly pan louvers Empty Belly pan louvers

Post by itruns Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 pm

My A100's belly pan has a whole bunch of small louvers that look factory. Was this stock or did someone punch these in?
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Belly pan louvers Empty Re: Belly pan louvers

Post by benwah Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 am

ive never saw one louvered and ive seen a lot of a100s! sounds cool, ive added a 4" hood scoop on my 65 belly pan just to get a little more air forced to the radiator.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for the info. At speed, the louvers make perfect sense. The thing that concerns me is that if it's hot and your idling, the hot air from engine compartment is going to get recycled instead of using the cool air from the grill.

Then I saw how the Chevy's look -
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/this-is-how-it-s-done-f19/belly-pad-repair-t143.htm
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 am

i know a few guys run a small electric fan in front of the radiator and use it when they get stuck in traffic. tried it with my 68 with a fan off a fiero, it did make a diffrence it could have been smaller too then the fan crapped out so i removed it . the hood scoop works well cheap n easy from jc whitney 35$ and some popribits a can of rustolium black and a couple of cutting wheels for the air tool, keeping your early cool as it looks, priceless!!!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:07 pm

I don't know why Ford & Dodge never added the louvers Question You would think they would have. The same over heating problems we have they had right out of the factory
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm

G-Man (and others with louvered belly pans): What are you running in your early? Do you have any cooling issues while idling? There have been many suggestions as how to make improvements to the cooling system, but each has its pros and cons.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:03 am

In my opinion you don't want louvers. This would take away from the air that is supposed to be directed over the radiator!
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:17 am

I would agree with Nate here. I saw a A-100 with a louvererd belly pan and the owner said he was going to take it off cause of the negative issues mentioned here. I run the stock belly pan on my A-100 however I took and cut the front floor and made a tunnel so that air would come through the top of the grill as well and go directly into the rad. I run a big aluminum rad that is fully shrouded with a SPAL brand electric fan and that thing stays cool as a cucumber. When I am out stuck in traffic it will get up to 185 and that is it.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:19 am

I've got Ter's aluminum radiator with a shroud in there and I'm putting the patch panels in soon, so I'll see how well the system works in summer while sitting in traffic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:36 am