VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
itruns
Digz
sasktrini
7 posters

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Empty My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 pm

I wanted to make sure that I could get it to fit so I did a temporary set up using the one barrel carb. It fits just fine. It will sit up a little higher when I install the new 2 barrel carb since the adapter plate is about 1 1/4 " tall. Tell me what you think. Remember I will be adding the aluminum radiator, chrome electric fan, chrome shroud, stainless steel radiator hoses and heater hose, a billit thermostat housing, a polished aluminum valve cover with crome oil filler cap so there will be a lot more shiny parts in the dog house.

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Copy_112

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Img_0418

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Img_0419
    The filter is to low right now and I will have to raise it up a few inches once I get the new carb in but you can get an idea of what it will look like.
    My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Img_0420
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Empty Re: My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo

Post by sasktrini Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Looks nice! I wonder about belly pan clearance... will you have an easy way to service the filter? I guess just lift the whole thing from up top, right?

My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo Empty Re: My new cold air induction for my 65 Econo

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I am thinking cut a square hole in the belly pan large enough to service the filter and just make a cover for the hole that can be attached with sheet metal screws for easy removal.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Looks like it belongs there! Nice!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Digz wrote:Looks like it belongs there! Nice!

+1!
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:42 pm

hmmmmmmmmm .......... i thought about doing that a few years ago but never did and now with the 360 and holley 2bbl you got me thinking again. what size is the opening for the top of the carb. better still how about the part number for that piece. we v-8 guys espically the dodge boys don't have a lot of spare room to mess with and even less going down the side of the engine. but if i can make that work it would be like adding 20 hp to the old heap with all that fresh COOL air. nice job mike.......

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:53 pm

The opening in the bonnet is 5 1/8 inches The opening coming out of the bonnet is four inches in diameter. I used a 4" to 3" reducer so I could use three inch tubing. You can get the tubing at Kragan, Auto Zone etc but it is cheap plastic. I paid about the same price and got metal tubing on ebay. Here is a link to the company I got all of my stuff from. http://stores.ebay.com/nolimitsmotorsports-2008_AIR-INTAKE-PLENUMS_W0QQ_fsubZ211642010QQ_sidZ811332860QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

There are different bonnets that all have 5 1/8" openings in two different heights. I used a 3 1/2 height one but you can get them in 2 1/2" height too.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:34 am

looks like a good fit.good job
    scrubba
    scrubba

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2010-01-18

Post by scrubba Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 am

Mike, willl you still be using the " draft Panel under the chassis to help cool the radiatior ? I'm real interested in how it affects the mileage in you're van . Keep us posted , please ! scrubba

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 am

scrubba wrote:Mike, willl you still be using the " draft Panel under the chassis to help cool the radiatior ? I'm real interested in how it affects the mileage in you're van . Keep us posted , please ! scrubba
    I expect the mileage to go down a little since I will be going from a one barrel carb to a two barrel but I will have more hp. Right now I am planning on using a belly pan but I am going to try it with out the pan first just to see how well the new four core radiator and 3000 cfm electric fan keeps it cool. I had an aluminum radiator and 2800 cfm electric fan in my 66 Econo with a 347 stroker (419 hp) and it stayed around 190 degrees and I didn't have a belly pan.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Looks good! I might haveta give that a try on my Chevy.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Barnett wrote:Looks good! I might haveta give that a try on my Chevy.
    A friend of mine just did it on his early Chevy and is very happy with it.
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by Mr Hill Billy Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm

ok can't help but wonder what will happen if you drive through say a deep mud puddle or alot of water. Question

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Mr Hill Billy wrote:ok can't help but wonder what will happen if you drive through say a deep mud puddle or alot of water. Question
    I don't drive it in the rain but if I did the belly pan would protect it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:43 am