VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Brake Warning Light

Brake Warning Light Empty Brake Warning Light

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Today, I noticed that when I tilt my steering wheel forward. (apply presure on top part of wheel) my brake warning light come on in my dash cluster. Any idea what may be causing this?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Brake Warning Light Empty Re: Brake Warning Light

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Is the ignition on when this happens? Is that the REAL bulb socket in its RIGHT place? That system starts at the brake warning switch at the master cylinder,,,,,,goes to the ignition switch TEST TERMINAL,,,,,then to the bulb,,,,,,the hot side of the bulb is from the ignition switch. So unless you are stepping on the brake pedal, the only thing is that the wire is grounding out. So what are you moving,,,the whole column,,,the dash,,,,the ignition switch,,,,,,maybe wiggle some wires at the bulb or ignition switch or where it comes through the floor at the gas pedal and see if the light comes on,,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks for the info. It is the only light that is coming on when I press down on the steering wheel . There is some play in the column not much to even notice but if I press down on the top of the wheel (closer to the windshield) the light pops up. My thinking is there some thing inside the column to keep it from grounding so the horn will work
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 am

There should be no relation between the brake light and steering column,,,,,,unless someone or something caused one. Does the horn work,,,,,,does the horn work when that light is on,,,,,is there any strange or new wires in the harness that goes up to the turn signal switch,,,,,,,do you have an automatic with a light in the shift indicator? Can you pull off the connector at the brake warning switch by the master cylinser, ground the wire with the key on, and make that light come on?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Thats funny that you mentioned the horn. Today the horn relay stuck in the closed postion and caused the fuseable link to burn out between the starter and the fuse block. Im leaving for Mardi Gras tomarrow. So there will be no working on Candy till next weekend.

One more thing all the wires look to be in there place and nothing seems out of place.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

So the horn kept blowing or at least the relay was energized until the fusible link gave out? Seems like the battery would go dead before that happened but it could happen if that relay shorted out,,,,,,looks like you got some wiring work ahead of you,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:13 pm