VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

brake light wiring

freakNeck
    freakNeck

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

brake light wiring Empty brake light wiring

Post by freakNeck Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 am

Hi, I recently read a thread here talking about electrical wiring, and in the thread it said that the brake light wiring goes through the turn signal switch.

Is this telling me that there's only a single filament tail light in use? (Gen1)

(I never really look very closely a the wiring diagram I have buried somewhere in the garage.)

It's a good thing I'm an electrical guy, as it looks like I'll be doing a custom wiring job on all of it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

brake light wiring Empty Re: brake light wiring

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:10 am

When you step on the brake pedal,,,,,it sends juice up to the turn signal switch,,,,,then, depending on if you have the lever off or on the left or right turn position, the turn signal sends juice back down to  the yellow left turn signal wire or green right one to the bulb,,,,,,or both for Braking,,,,,each bulb has 2 filaments,,,,the dull tail light one which the brown wires go to and the bright Brake/Turn filament ,,,,,so yes,,,,,like the right rear Turn/Brake is only one wire, turn signal switch to the bulb,,Green, going to one filament in the bulb....turn signal switch determines if the bulb comes on as a brake light or as a turn signal,,,,
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 am

As explained, been that way on all cars since they started installing signals.  Chances are if you are having flakey brake lights, its in the turn signal switch.  There are a bunch of thin spring loaded reed like wire contacts set into plastic guide pins that make these connections Donivan described.  After 50 years, either the reeds wear out or the plastic becomes brittle or the pins break and they loosen up and bend out of shape.  Fix is to replace the turn signal switch, readily available.  Also the brake switch itself has a gasket between the housing and wafer with the contact pins, it dries out letting moisture and dirt in there to corrode the contacts, it can be repaired but a a new switch is available and easy to do, just did both the switch and the turn switch and now I have working signals and brake lights! Tail lights are dual filament good old #1157's
    NEK64
    NEK64

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2013-03-11

Post by NEK64 Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:57 am

I'm replacing my turn signal switch today....and searched online for a '64 G10 wiring diagram but couldn't seem to find one....do you know of a downloadable version?
    Thanks!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 am

NEK64
    NEK64

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2013-03-11

Post by NEK64 Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:03 am

Thanks Digz....printed and filed!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:33 am

That one's nice, the one in the paper shop manual isn't in color!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:02 am