VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

gauge problems

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

gauge problems Empty gauge problems

Post by oo3 Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:30 pm

my van came to me with gauge problems - with a little internet research i was able to fix them - i posted this info at the yahoo a100 forum also - The fuel and water gauge are both supplied voltage by a mechanical voltage regulator – it is not uncommon after many years of use for the regulator to go bad – or as it was in my case the windings of both the reg and the fuel gauge had overheated enough that both were bad – the regulator is in the gas gauge of all places – I don’t know if in later years they switched to an external reg in the vans – I know they did in cars - I didn’t bother with another mechanical reg, I went with the solid state 7805 fix – there are several articles on various mopar sites with details - http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-instrument-voltage-regulator64.html - here is one – if you look on their site they have a link to a gauge troubleshoot and also another regulator mod if you want to get more complicated - I also opened up the fuel gauge and clipped the reg out of circuit - http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_limiter - this is a ready to go solid state regulator with some advantages but will run you a little more money - some checks - with gas gauge out looking at it, in the up position – terminals facing away – if it is like mine terminal on right had red wire – this was 12v in – middle terminal black wire to water temp gauge – this is 5v app out – left terminal green wire to gas sender – with a multimeter ohm check middle and left terminal – that is gas gauge and 5v terminals – should have low ohm reading – if it is open most likely gauge is bad - if you want to get a visual drill one of the rivet heads holding the face on off – you only want to drill the head off – then push the face aside – you will see the gas gauge winding on the left (again gauge facing up) - with a fine wire attached to the middle and left terminals – if the gauge is still good you can then use it and do the solid state rectifier mod- whatever reg you are using when first install and checking isolate the water gauge first - - that is unhook the 5v line to the water gauge (from the gas gauge) – is case there is any problem from the 5v source you wont cook your water gauge at least – I have also read on other forums the temp gauge can become inaccurate over time - mine was - hope this helps - oo3
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

gauge problems Empty Re: gauge problems

Post by BvrWally Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks great info!
    B.W. Smile

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 am