VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
EconoUSAparts
Digz
Magic Bus
rhysaccess
Bluelemon
RodStRace
sasktrini
donivan65
12 posters

king pins of the under carriage world...

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

king pins of the under carriage world... - Page 4 Empty Re: king pins of the under carriage world...

Post by Old Skool Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 pm

NOPE,,, never heard that one, its too easy to spin it around and get it too the correct depth, you will have to dress it up anyways, much better without any heat ever applied I would think.
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

king pins of the under carriage world... - Page 4 Empty Re: king pins of the under carriage world...

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 pm

So I guess the 1st rule to changing out your kingpins is to measure the diameter at the groove before putting it all together to see if they built the slot in there right,,,,,,,
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by rhysaccess Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:23 pm

donivan65 wrote:So,,,,,,16.6mm is .654,,,,,,,is that the final diameter reading of the kingpin flat spot on a FRESH section , away from the old groove? Was the pin groove originally too deep or not deep enough for the pin to lock in,,,,,,,,

Sorry - my earlier reply didn't work. Yes you are correct, the dimension was from the flat spot to a fresh section & the groove was previously too deep.

Another task that I now have intamacy with.....that I'll never do again.

Regards,
    Rhys
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Hate to tell you,,,,,,,you are never going to hear the end of Ford KingPins,,,,,
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 pm

What are you saying they are like herpes........................?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 am

Then we still need a cure,,,,,,,,sooner or later, if you plan on keeping a Ford, you are going to have to deal with Kingpins. And it's not going to get easier finding parts or ones that fit. So we still need this measurement on some Ford kingpins to see what a good one is,,,,,,,or if it's a bad one,,,,,,just some information to put in our Ford Kingpin book,,,,,,,,

king pins of the under carriage world... - Page 4 Repai117
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:23 pm

I just measured a New set I got from Macs 0.740 new king pin Dia. 0.653 Dia at the locking pin groove. 0.436 dia of new locking pin. I also noticed the locking pins have three grooves in them that are about 3/4 the length of the locking pin ending in a point.Am I correct in assuming you start the locking pins with the groove end going in first? The Bushings are cleveite Top Bearings? are Trayer. King Pins Have a T stamped on one end could this signify TOP?

Last edited by 61econoline on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:27 pm

The smaller end, needs to go in first. This whole idea, is the pins are supposed to go in tightly, with no slop. Then the tapered pin is supposed to drive in and force the pin outward against the axle, locking it up and not allowing ANY movement. MOST of the force is up and down then, and the bearings are supposed to support the load. I seem to rememeber (ha,ha,ha,ha),, a long time ago, the pins were actually tapered and you could only put them in one way anyways, it seems the new pins are only staked to make them larger from one side to the other. That measurement, sounds correct??? the best way I think, would be to measure and old factory one that came out of the axle in the first place, as that should be correct. Crazy busy on this conversion right now, but will dig up some old ones this evening, and get the measurements, unless I see it posted later on..
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 pm

According to my Napa sets on the first page,,,,the groove is not in the center, so a T for top makes sense to me,,,,,, 0.740 looks like a good number for a stock kingpin diameter,,,,,,I would think the grooves make the pin bigger, so they go in last,,,,,,now lets see if that 0.653 locks that pin in,,,,,,,,
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Not sure when Im goin to tackle this project but when I do I will post my results. Mick
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Let me know if that groove in the kingpin is in the middle or over to one end,,,,,,,,
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:33 pm

The groove in the king pin is not in the middle - but offset. This is due to the bearing that the swiveling axle assembly sits on. T is top.

Measurement at the groove needs to be 0.65" - not the 0.64" as supplied to me (my verniers only go to 1 decimal point).

Regards,
    Rhys
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:29 pm

So how much of an offset is the groove? A Chevy has a 1/2" bearing on the bottom and still has the groove right in the middle of the kingpin,,,,,,
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:40 pm

The centre of the groove is around 0.24" from king pin centre.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 am

is there anybody here in the e van side who can tell me the
    inside dia. of the hole in the spindle where the king pin bushings
    are driven into? looking to replace the brass/ bronze / nylon
    bushings with a needle bearing. Did it with a chevy, now onto
    the fords.
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post by Hangtime Sat May 08, 2010 10:14 am

I need a little help here. I still can't tell which is the front of my axle. Is the alignment hole in the middle of the spring pad offset? It looks to be, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if there is a mark on the axle.?
    king pins of the under carriage world... - Page 4 Axlelo10
    king pins of the under carriage world... - Page 4 Axlesh10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:47 am