VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
wacko
6 posters

Brake line fittings???

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Brake line fittings??? Empty Brake line fittings???

Post by wacko Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:26 am

Need some help. I am trying to remove this t junction in my brake line as I am removing an old trailer brake control. However it is not coming apart too easy and I don't want to do any damage. Any tips on getting this apart?

Also, once I get the t-junction out will I be able to simply thread the brake line back into the second t-junction? Threading B into where C is currently threaded.

Brake line fittings??? 2169776720103359889S600x600Q85
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Brake line fittings??? Empty Re: Brake line fittings???

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:38 am

Well if you don't need A ,,,,just cut it,,,,,B looks like it will unscrew,,,,,then look inside C and see if there is a tapered seat inside it so it matches the flare on the end of line B
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:44 am

Can I use a penetrating oil on the threads? Or will it contaminate the brake fluid?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 am

Yeah penetrating oil and maybe even a" little" heat from a hand held propane torch and wear safety glasses if you use heat.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:02 am

Use the right wrench,,,,,a tubing wrench,,,,,and maybe clamp vice grips to hold the wrench tight against the nut so it don't round off ,,,,but the brake fluid is in the lines not in the threads so you won't contaminate anything,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 am

And if those are 40 year old brake lines, you need to get rid of them,,,,,Napa has the replacements,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:30 pm

pb blaster is your friend Smile
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:13 am

I'd suggest cut the old lines (if soaking in PB blaster and a brake wrench haven't worked) and use a 6 pt. socket over the cut line. Hard to get ahold of little devils sometimes. Good luck, Mark
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 am

That trailer brake line A looks to be copper tubing,,,,,,and its fitting don't belong there,,,,line B needs to get back to where it came from,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651

Post by Scott Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:48 am

The lines don't cost that much, just a little money and time.

Just cut off the treaded ends so you have something to match them to at the auto parts store. Bending them is easy, bleeding them will be the pain. Pick up some Speed Bleeders, like the ones listed below, I bought mine from Autozone, off the shelf in the 'Help' parts. Also, measure the lengths you need, I connected a few sections end to end to make it to the rear wheels. Also consider replacing the larger line going to the back with the smaller size.

m1dadio wrote:Brake system designers and engineers say to use the smallest lines you can get away with. In automotive that would be 3/16". If you look into the line conections on you master cyliners and differential valves you will see the port is not larger then 3/16 regardless of the nut size. Larger then nessesary lines are heavier, harded to manufacture, but most of all the fluid "movment" within them is reduced. Meaning the amount of action taking place in a larger line for any given system is less. This results in stagnation of the fluid, Since DOT 3 and simular fluids are "hydroscopic" in nature, they tend to develope sludge and cause internal corrosion in such areas. Especially if they are subject to a heat sorce, so avoid having your lines close to hot exhaust if you can, and change the brakes fluid every two years, more often in wet environments.

M1D

donivan65 wrote:Sure is a lot of bleeder problems going on,,,,,,I think you will have a hard time blleeding a new or empty brake system by pumping the brake pedal,,,,,even if you use a vacuum pump,,,,like if you are doing the LR wheel,,,,,it sure is easier for the pump to suck air through the seal on the RRwheel rather than going all the way up to the master cylinder for fluid,,,,,but I think doing all 4 AT THE SAME TIME works best,,,,,and by pressure, not vacuum,,,,,thats why I am liking these check valve bleeders,,,,you crack them open and pump the pedal,,,,,everything is pressurized equally,,,,they worked really good on the last van we did. So think about it on your way to buying another gallon of brake fluid,,,,,,,

Brake line fittings??? Bleede10
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651

Post by Scott Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 pm

I was talking to a guy the other day that is rebuilding his 1958 Plymouth Belvedere, also a daily driver. He said the previous owner had cut the emergency brake because the cable got in the way of an engine swap. The brakes seemed fine so he didn't see a problem with driving it. His wife and daughter drove it one day and the brake line blew-out on the freeway. Lucky for her she had enough freeway to put in neutral and coast to a stop.

Since brake lines deteriorate from the inside you cant just visually inspect them.

She's just lucky she didn't have to stop quick because a car or kid got in he her way.

Not trying to preach, just that its important for us all to remember the risks of depending on forty year old lines.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Keep preaching Scott,,,,,,NO ONE should be driving around with 40 year old brake lines and hoses,,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:20 pm

I got it apart and removed the unwanted trailer brake line. I ended up using vicegrips to break it loose. I am sure they are not the original lines as there are some napa tags still on them in places.

Brake line fittings??? 2996722650103359889S600x600Q85
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 745
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Experience has taught me you don't take short-cuts with brakes and tyres Smile

I had a local Certified Brake guy hand make all my brake lines. New wheel & master cylinders, new shoes and drums.
    Brake line fittings??? C83c91bc

Post by Guest Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:44 pm

cool wacko glad you got it. i usualy replace my brakes,lines and fuel lines but these on my van are in primo shape at this time. i may replace them next year just because but for now they are great.
    jeff
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

Now you need to get rid of that 1 line suicde master cylinder,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:21 am