VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12244
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Me and Drew have normal mirrors,,,,,,Drew just has his chrome tail light bezels painted black,,,,,,,he is selling that van,,,,,,,it is a SportVan Deluxe converted to a work truck,,,,,,,,

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga16

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga17
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14778
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by vanny Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:58 am

Nice looking van! Has he listed it yet and if so, what is he asking for it?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:05 am

He carries all his tools in it,,,,,,,,,,,it has a 350 engine and trans in it,,,,,,,,however,,,,,,,,it has a lot of rust,,,,,,,,
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:27 pm

In San. Diego? Ocean air rust?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:16 pm

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Massachusetts rust,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:25 am

Yours starts from the top down and ours starts from the bottom up!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 am

I am sure there is rust like this back East,,,,,,Drews and Richs' van are exactly the same,,,,,except Drew has turned his  into a work truck,,,,,,,a HEAVY DUTY work truck,,,,,,so the rust on the van is covered up with fiberglass tape,,,,,,,,,

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Chevy_10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 am

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 5_on_t10
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 am

the 5 amigos !!

vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 pm

A 1965 Full House!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:28 pm

,,,,a full cul-de-sac,,,,,,,,and there are still more 65's in San Diego,,,,,,,
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:11 pm

I would have some copies framed for each VAN that is there.That is a AWESOME line up and defiantly something you don't see very often Good Job Guy's.cheers ..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 am

donivan65 wrote:,,,,a full cul-de-sac,,,,,,,,and there are still  more 65's in San Diego,,,,,,,

Here are a few more of our 1965 family,,,,,,and there are a few more sitting along the road,,,,,,,

Scotty

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Chevy_11

Meno

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Big_3_11

Sean

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Chevy_12

Chris

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Cruisi10

Steve

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Workin12

Tom

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Big_3_10

,,,and Ted

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Ted_0010

Last edited by donivan65 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am

I hope Sean's drivers seat goes wayyyyy back or he must have to drive with his knees in his chest! LOL Looks like your area isn't going to run out of 65 Chevy's any time soon! But you can never have enough, can you?

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:29 am

WOW.!!!! Thats AWESOME to see so many Earleys in your area on the road they all look really good.cheers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:00 pm

These just happen to be 1965 Chevy Vans,,,,,,there are all kinds of other Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Corvairs here also,,,,,,I could do a story on each of them,,,,,,and I'm just talking about Vintage Vans,,,,the Earlys,,,,the ones without hoods,,,,the others don't count,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:58 pm

VanAgain and Leftcoast65 worked on the windows today,,,,I pulled off the steering wheel to center it.....

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga19

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga18

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1048
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks, Don, for straightening my steering wheel and posting some pictures!

It's been a while since I've posted here about my van. It seems like I've been so busy working on it that I haven't had time to post.

Great thanks to Leftcoast65 for coming over every weekend to help out! We work together real well. He has seen firsthand how I operate and now knows why my van project has taken so many years! He's able to put up with my perfectionism but more importantly he keeps me from getting distracted and going off on tangents. Together we've made a lot of progress.

Let's see if I can remember all the things we've put back on the van:

Pop-out windows (gluing in new rubber), including adding them to the rear cargo doors.
    New rubber (from S-10) on doghouse
    Wired up new front running lights.
    Headlights and trim.
    Rewired rear lights (that the body shop had cut!)
    Right-hand mirror
    Wing windows (redid a sloppy hinge rivet on one)
    New fuzzies on front doors
    New glass for front doors (transferred bottom rails from old glass)
    Adapted a passenger-side window regulator to work on the driver's side. (It can be done!)

Meyer, did I miss anything?!

I'll post some pictures later.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:17 am

Nice teamwork. You guys have got a great support system out there! Congrats and keep it up, with pics of course!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Rich,,,,,,you need to accessorize your SportVan Deluxe a little more

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Cruisi14
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

Checkerboard stripes!! Why didn't I think of that?! And that is one heck of a roof rack!

Well, he's someone new to us. Another rare Sportvan Deluxe. Hopefully he'll chime in on our forum.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:39 pm

VanAgain, Leftcoast and Scotty were out there hitting it today,,,,,Rich needs his rims cleaned and painted and white wall tires to get the show on the road,,,,,,

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga10

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga11

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga12

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Vanaga13
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Yup, we are really cranking to get ready for this week's van get-together on Wednesday in El Cajon. Leftcoast65 and I worked on it both Saturday and Sunday. I decided it was a priority to get some new rubber on these old rims. We did a lot of checking around and found that white walls are hard to find these days! As Scotty found out, BFGoodrich no longer makes them. (They sold the molds to Coker, where I could get a set of four for $1000!) Discount Tire is going to order a set Coopers on Monday, hopefully to arrive on Tuesday. Saturday I had them remove the 10-year-old junkyard tires off the 15" rims I got from the junkyard. I thought about sandblasting them or bringing them somewhere to get dipped but in the end, Leftcoast did a lot of scrubbing to get the years of road grunge off the rims. I ground down the scrapes from old hubcaps and sanded down the rusty areas... on one rim and primed it as it was getting dark! 3 to go to get them ready to bring to the tire store.

We adapted a passenger-side inner door handle "remote" to work on the driver's side. (That can be done too!) The splines were shot, as usual, on the driver's side. I had a spare passenger side. Turns out only the backing plate and the actual shaft are universal. So you unbend the 5 tabs to open up the assembly. Then you can press the shaft down through the arm. This shaft can then be pressed into the drivers side arm.

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Door_h10

Here are a few photos of work done in the last few weeks.

NOS Chevrolet emblem installed!
    transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Img_2310

Re-chromed headline trim finally going on after reinstalling headlight buckets and adjusting headlight beams:
    transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Img_2510

All pop-outs installed, including the rear doors, which required drilling and tapping holes in the right place for the hinges and latches:
    transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Window10

One wing window "hinge" was very sloppy and the window frame didn't line up well in the rubber. Ended up removing this little bracket, welding up the hole and redrilling it to be a snug fit on the new rivet. Also added washers under the bracket to try to move the window a bit forward to fit better against the new rubber. Helped a little:
    transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Wing_r10

More photos to come.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:29 am

Wow looks great
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:21 am

Rich unveiled his Sportvan and won "Best Work in Progress" at the van show last night. Here's a few pics I snapped.

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Photo_10

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Photo_11

transmission hanger - Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 22 Photo_12

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:50 am