VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
61econoline
DanTheVanMan
savage
G-Man
8 posters

New '63 Van Owner in Utah

New '63 Van Owner in Utah Empty New '63 Van Owner in Utah

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 am

Hey! New guy from Salt Lake City with a '63 E-100 Van. I owned a '65 E-100 truck some 20+ years go, but spent more time just keeping it on the road for a couple of years than upgrading and customizing it. So... Here are my plans now:

It's got to remain a daily-driver, and it currently kinda runs and kinda stops. I'll be making some improvements and repairs to get it safely on the road, then start making modifications and upgrades as time and money permit. Any input/feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. I gotta make it stop better. Planning on a rebuild of the stock master cylinder and all 4 drum brakes for now. 4-wheel discs when I have the cash for a D&D kit and an 8.8 read end.

2. I gotta make it run better. Planning on a MAJOR tune-up to the 170, plus some Miracle Oil and prayers to keep it running until I can do my 5.0/C4 swap.

3. I gotta prepare for the future, by swapping out the generator for an alternator. Is the generator 6V or 12V? Can anyone give me swap tips? What's the highest-output, most compatible alternator I can get?

4. I gotta lower it. Can I put the springs below the axles, or do I need new springs? I've never lowered a leaf-spring car before...

I've got a 3-year plan for my restomod. I'll post a blog in the coming weeks so I can track the progress and your comments and advice.

Glad to be here!

_dallon_
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New '63 Van Owner in Utah Empty Re: New '63 Van Owner in Utah

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 am

Welcome to the site!!!!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 am

Welcome. Your van is 12 volt. I "think" most everthing is after 53 or 54??/

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:37 am

Welcome. I have a 200 amp alternator in my Econo.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:47 am

Welcome, Enjoy to the site!!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New '63 Van Owner in Utah Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 am

welcome to the site.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am

If you wanted to be different, you could HIDE this Chevy 1 wire down in the Doghouse,,,,,,,,this is as basic as you can get if you want to get away from a generator or mechanical voltage regulator system,,,,,,,

New '63 Van Owner in Utah 100_am10

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks for the Welcomes!

It is SO HARD for me to put ANYTHING "GM" on my van... BUT, if it actually improves the overall cruising experience, AND I can HIDE it... Well, I suppose I will give it a try. Thanks! Anyone else do this? Any wiring diagrams available?

Any thoughts on dropping my leaf springs below my axles?

I'm so excited to get going!!!

Y'all rawk!

_dallon_
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm

The basic thing on this is you just run one 10 or 8 gauge wire from it to the Positive battery cable,,,,,,usually at the starter relay,,,,,,but you got lots of choices of systems if you got lots of money,,,,,you could find a 3 wire GM [78-86] really cheap at the wrecking yard and put it in there. You kind of want a system that has an electronic voltage regulator built into it. You don't want to have to use any of the old wiring if you don't have to. But lets see what else people put on their Fords to upgrade the charging system,,,,,,,
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:03 pm

I am running a 130 amp out of a 97 cougar on my 289.I needed the extra amps for the Taurus electric fan there are a few places that have how to instructions .I gotta run right now. I will post the how to sites later
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:02 am

Welcome... I saw your intro on another forum... if I had the time, I would have told you to come here!!!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

Yeah... The other forum seems more "specialized", but a lot less active... And cool! =)

I found some diagrams to convert my generator to a GM alternator. Thanks!

Can I lower this van without de-arching the springs?

_dallon_
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 am

So what Gm system are you looking at? Those 1 wire are good but I think the 3 wire ones are better,,,,,,that is the stock system,,,,,that 1 wire was invented by hot rodders so they don't have to look at 2 extra wires. The critical part is the sensing line for the voltage regulator,,,,when it sees 14.5 volts it shuts off the alternator. The 1 wire senses the voltage while it is charging,,,,the 3 wire has a wire where you can connect it to the battery so you know that the battery gets fully charged. So at the worst, maybe your battery does not ever get fully charged. And the other wire is what turns on the regulator,,,,,you can use the wire that goes to your idiot light. And if you want that GM alternator to work better,,,,,keep it covered up until you get it down in the Doghouse so it don't see that its going in a Ford,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

De-arching the springs is probably the easiest way to get your van a bit lower. The axel flip is also doable but pretty difficult. You could try to find a drop axel, I think there was an econoline on here that had one. G-man is lowering his van by notching the frame and bagging it. I would think this is the best way to do it but also the most $$$.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:49 pm

"You could try to find a drop axle, I think there was an econoline on here that had one."

That would be me. It was done by the PO, and very poorly, so I ended up putting it back to stock. Not the nice profile it had before, but night and day regarding improved driveability and safety. Perhaps it can be done, but I'm happy to be rid of it. I may re-arch my springs at some point, because I like the lower look, but it is way down the list.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks for the input fellow v-gans... In my tiny head, I think I could flip the axles on top of the springs by moving the spring perches to the bottom and still keep good geometry and ride. I shall proceed and report my findings. (Not this weekend of course, but hopefully before summer!)

I didn't know the Post Office fab'd dropped axles, but it isn't surprising that they would've done a poor job. I've heard hey can mod the sh*t out of a Jeep tho!

_dallon_

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 am

I'm fine with the 3-wire alternator... No one will see it. It's not the wires so much as having an internal regulator. Just a little less clutter. (Like there's ANY clutter in ANY '63 engine bay.)

_dallon_
    mtb_medic

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2010-05-25

Post by mtb_medic Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

hey if you are looking for a dropped axle check out these guys

http://www.droppedaxles.com/

I saw them at turlock swap meet. they can do all sorts of stuff including twisting the i-beam.

Post by Guest Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 pm

welcome... get that van out on the salt flats, because i would if i could. i bet it'd run at 8o mph!!!! lol
    mtb_medic

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2010-05-25

Post by mtb_medic Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 am

I just got an e-mail from sid at droppedaxles.com he said that I can drop my front axle 2"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:45 pm