VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Falconvan
vanny
Keith D
arracado
8 posters

New '64 owner

arracado
    arracado

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2018-08-14

New '64 owner Empty New '64 owner

Post by arracado Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi everyone! Wanted to introduce myself and my van that I just purchased yesterday. After years of wanting to one day have a vintage van of my own, I bought the one listed here:

http://dodgea100.com/1965-panel-van-in-ashland-or/

Couple things...no, I did not pay that price for it! Less than half that, actually, which seemed about right. It's got a 318, rebuilt transmission with very few miles, is pretty clean inside and out, and runs...well, let's just say it runs. Sort of. But I think the issues with it can be tackled with a fresh set of eyes and a different perspective.

The first big issue is the cooling, which then ties into the second big issue, the transmission. As there's no mechanical fan in front of the water pump, the last owner installed an electric fan with a thermostat control unit. It's a Davies Craig 8020. When I test drove it, it seemed to operate fine and we were able to drive the van around town a bit. However, when I picked it up yesterday, the unit was malfunctioning. Anyway I have a support email into Davies Craig but I think I'll also be looking at other, newer options that may be out there. If you have any suggestions that would be much appreciated!

They also dropped the engine to try and improve cooling, which I guess it did. But in doing so the tranny mounts were no longer usable, so the transmission is suspended with cable and has been for a couple years from my understanding. Seems pretty solid in there, but obviously I'll want to get that on there correctly.

Anyway, it's got a vapor lock issue too, but I think that relocating the fuel pump back near the tank should solve that. They installed it right near the exhaust, so I suspect that's heating the fuel up.

The steering box is shot too...it's leaked everywhere and has a flat spot. So there's that.

Anyway, I look at this as the start of an adventure and a learning process, at the end of which I'll have that kickass van I've always wanted. I'll be searching threads and trying to learn as much as I can from you all. Happy to have found this place!

Oh, and I almost forgot...this thing was advertised as a '65 but the PO told me yesterday that he looked up the VIN and it's actually a '64. Have not confirmed that myself yet.
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

New '64 owner Empty Re: New '64 owner

Post by Keith D Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Welcome...

Ryan at blue top steering gears can get that steering box fixed right up for you,   https://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/

Seems like these vans always want to run on the warm side. Make sure the belly pan is in place, put the motor and trans back where they belong, get a good 3 or 4 core aluminum radiator with a good electric fan and water pump. Then you should be fine.

Best of luck with your project...
    arracado
    arracado

Post by arracado Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks Keith, appreciate the help!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Welcome to VV, lots of knowledge and helpful people on this site. Looks like a nice project you've picked up! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask anything because chances are, someone on here has had similar issues and might be able to either point you in the right direction or be able to tell you some things to avoid. cheers Very Happy What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Falconvan
    Falconvan

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2017-10-24

Post by Falconvan Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:44 am

Nice! I'm with Keith; relocate the drivetrain back to where it should be.
    nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2018-05-14

Post by nyc108hopeful Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:46 am

Falconvan wrote:Nice! I'm with Keith; relocate the drivetrain back to where it should be.

Never thought of that. Does that mean using and electric pump? Any suggestion on parts if you have done it? I am guessing you need certain flow ratings.
    Keith D
    Keith D

Post by Keith D Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:36 am

Just get a good flowing mechanical water pump and a good higher flow thermostat (180 degree) and it should be good.

My opinion...
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 am

Welcome aboard!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 pm

my comments are inline and bolded

arracado wrote:Hi everyone! Wanted to introduce myself and my van that I just purchased yesterday. After years of wanting to one day have a vintage van of my own, I bought the one listed here:

http://dodgea100.com/1965-panel-van-in-ashland-or/

Couple things...no, I did not pay that price for it! Less than half that, actually, which seemed about right. It's got a 318, rebuilt transmission with very few miles, is pretty clean inside and out, and runs...well, let's just say it runs. Sort of. But I think the issues with it can be tackled with a fresh set of eyes and a different perspective.

The first big issue is the cooling, which then ties into the second big issue, the transmission. As there's no mechanical fan in front of the water pump, the last owner installed an electric fan with a thermostat control unit. It's a Davies Craig 8020. When I test drove it, it seemed to operate fine and we were able to drive the van around town a bit. However, when I picked it up yesterday, the unit was malfunctioning. Anyway I have a support email into Davies Craig but I think I'll also be looking at other, newer options that may be out there. If you have any suggestions that would be much appreciated!

Get a high flow mechanical fan from summit racing and put it back on there, leave the electric as well if you like, the issue is really "airflow in the engine box" and not airflow over the radiator.

They also dropped the engine to try and improve cooling, which I guess it did.
    put it back to stock

But in doing so the tranny mounts were no longer usable, so the transmission is suspended with cable and has been for a couple years from my understanding. Seems pretty solid in there, but obviously I'll want to get that on there correctly.

put it back to stock

Anyway, it's got a vapor lock issue too, but I think that relocating the fuel pump back near the tank should solve that. They installed it right near the exhaust, so I suspect that's heating the fuel up.
    the OEM fuel line location runs down the passenger side frame rail and right past the exhaust manifold, this super heats the fuel before it ever gets to the carb. the high temps in the engine box cause the carb to boil and floods the engine. its a fuel temp/air flow issue. reroute the fuel lines up the firewall behind the engine, add an impeller type fuel pump (ditch the mechanical) and enjoy less vapor lock/carb percolating

The steering box is shot too...it's leaked everywhere and has a flat spot. So there's that.

search this forum, someone recently posted a link to a place that can rebuild the steering box.

Anyway, I look at this as the start of an adventure and a learning process, at the end of which I'll have that kickass van I've always wanted. I'll be searching threads and trying to learn as much as I can from you all. Happy to have found this place!

Oh, and I almost forgot...this thing was advertised as a '65 but the PO told me yesterday that he looked up the VIN and it's actually a '64. Have not confirmed that myself yet.

Congrats on the van, hit us up for any additional info that's needed
    Falconvan
    Falconvan

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2017-10-24

Post by Falconvan Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:22 am

I wouldn't overthink it. They made these vans with small V8s and kept them cool. Just need the basics in good working condition. New water pump, right sized radiator, right sized mechanical fan with a shroud and the belly pan in place.
    arracado
    arracado

Post by arracado Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 am

So now that I've had it up in the air I can see a few things I couldn't before. Namely, the original crossbar that the transmission mounted to has been cut out! D'oh. So I think the path of least resistance is to have a new crossbar welded on and leave the engine/tranny where it is rather than try to put it back up. The engine mounts are solid.

Is there a basic rule as to how much space should be between the front of the radiator and the doghouse? There's some room there that I think could be used to reinstall a mechanical fan. As of now, the electric water pump is all that's moving water, the mechanical one isn't connected.

Secondly, the belly pan is a piece of very thin plywood. And the transmission cooler is just laying on top of it, not mounted or anything. Been looking for a belly pan but maybe having one fabricated is easier?

Anyway, appreciate all your help and comments! I'll probably be taking most of this to the Between the Seats forum to keep it on topic Smile
    Keith D
    Keith D

Post by Keith D Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Just to confirm...

The transmission is original or original style A100?, meaning that it has a mounting "loop" on top of the very front part of the transmissions tail section. The loop normally has a bushing in it that hooks via a bolt to mounting bracket, the mounting bracket then mounts via 4 bolts to a flooring cross member.

If you are saying that the flooring cross member has been cut out you will want to get it replaced as I believe this will make for a weak floor in that spot.

You can post in the part wanted section for a belly pan, someone should be able to help you out.

Keith
    lear0
    lear0

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2017-04-28

Post by lear0 Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm

i just can't grasp someone lowering a motor in a a100.beyond all the work,everything  has to be getting close to the front axle. pinon angle between trans and rear end?
    but anyway,i'm parting out a a100 auto this weekend, if you need that frame crossmember  let me know and i'll look at mine.it may of already been hacked.
    arracado
    arracado

Post by arracado Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks everyone, I’ll snap some pics and get them posted this afternoon when I’m back from camping. And Lear I’ll hit you up about the parts!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:50 pm