VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Back to the recessed rear license plate

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to the recessed rear license plate Empty Back to the recessed rear license plate

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:25 am

So back to this project,,,,,,and thinking outside the box that Tom put inside his door,,,,,I cut this one off an 86 F**d Van. I like the rounded corners and flange to spot weld it inside my door. But I need to rework the backside to allow the plate to stand up straight in the door....

http://vintagevans.forumup.jobs/viewtopic.php?t=8919&mforum=vintagevans

Back to the recessed rear license plate Amish_10

Back to the recessed rear license plate Amish_11

Back to the recessed rear license plate Amish_12

Back to the recessed rear license plate Amish_13
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Back to the recessed rear license plate Empty Re: Back to the recessed rear license plate

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I put that plate holder into the door and seen how it looks on the Vanz,,,,,,

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair26

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair27

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair28

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair29

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair30

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair31
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to the recessed rear license plate Empty Re: Back to the recessed rear license plate

Post by itruns Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:08 pm

I'm diggin the 7 door concept, but it looks like it may be a handful to drive.

Lookin good Donivan.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:53 pm

ever see one of those license plates??????
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Yeah, back when you would get new thick plates every year (in the middle of winter) and your dad would tell you put them on the wrong ends of the car...

I believe in Illinois you can use those on a '72 instead of displaying antique plates. Not that you would ever want to leave beautiful SD.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks but, me and my 1963 black and yellow original California plates are good.........

Back to the recessed rear license plate Done110
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Looks cool, Don! I would have never thought that a door would fit in place while there's a door already there! Good thinking!

So what do you think of the angle of the plate? Looks like too much, as we had predicted. Did you lean it forward in that last photo? That looks better.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41 pm

My Van, being jacked up in back, has the plate sitting at exactly 90 degrees,,,,,that holder is set at 77 degrees. so I cut a plate that I will install in that holder to adjust the angle so my plate looks pretty sitting there.

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair32

Back to the recessed rear license plate Repair33

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:53 pm

this is a little off topic, but not much: does anyone know where one can find rear license plate light assembly? I might just remove what I have and fill in the holes..
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Don,You done any work to your Amished license plate door??? Took these pics while I had doors to fix laying out[img]Back to the recessed rear license plate File0314[/img] The one on R is for the roll pan(no bottom) on the 65 from NY; The one on L is like how I did on the 64 ND. I drill & plug weld the flat part in from back,& weld corners.[img]Back to the recessed rear license plate File0315[/img] Then get plate box lined up on door and cut hole out,and fit box in and cut to depth,on sides of box,then weld it in
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:00 pm

I welded up the holes from the old license plate light last week. I am waiting for a rainy day to take a break from cruising to get back to it. So what about the diagonal one? And after you cut the hole and trim the box flush, you then weld all 4 edges of the box to the door panel edge?
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:31 am

Must be nice our season for cruising is almost over here. It was down in low 40's last night. Yes Don after its trimed to depth ,and make sure its leaning out just a little(so water doesnt set there) Then weld it all the way around to door skin. Oh yea make sure you put your light in(or cut hole for it) before you weld it in.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:01 am

Its been a 100 degrees for the last couple of days out here,,,,,,so its not that much fun,,,,,,I see you got it split,,,,,is that to slide it into the door? And how deep does that box end up,,, do you push it all the way in at the bottom, then tip out the top for drainage?
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:12 am

donivan65 wrote: I am waiting for a rainy day to take a break from cruising to get back to it.

Looks like you got your rainy day Don. At least up here so it's heading your way. Guess I'll be working indoors today. Maybe I'll finally get those Fiero seats installed.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:36 am

Don its split because that the size of metal I had already cut. The one on my 64 I made the corners where I weled it together. Its about 1/4 to 1/2 from inside of door skin, but you can put it anywhere you want. Joe hows your Fleet of early's coming along??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 7:06 pm