VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

carb help please

carb help please Empty carb help please

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:58 pm

ok on my 67 230 i have a carter yf4371 it has a vac port on the back of it i assume is for the vac advance, now from what little info ive found and by calling carb rebuilders this is the california carb but this van didnt come with cali emissions. i have a rebuilt yf4375 which is listed for the van and rebuilders say is the carb i should use on my federal type engine but no one knows where to connect the vac advance to because there is no vac advance port on the carb just a base full vac port. basic question is how are you fellas getting vac for dist with the 4375 ???? i cant find any vac line charts for a 67
    oh i forgot to mention the 4371 wont idle right when hot even if rebuilt on my fed type engine, i was told this by the carburetor shop guy.

help scratch
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

carb help please Empty Re: carb help please

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 pm

My favorite carb,,,,,,the distributor hose port is below the fuel hose inlet,,,,,it has to be ported vacuum,,,,,(none at idle) that other port is full vacuum,,,,used by the diverter valve on vehicles with a smog pump,,,,but you can plug it off,,,,,and lets dial in the bad idle problem,,,,,spray some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb at idle,,,,does it get better?? then we can talk Carter,,,,,,,

carb help please Yf_plu10

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:35 pm

the one on the van is the 4371 and its not the right one, its a 66-67 cali emissions only carb. guy at thecarbshop.com said even if the carb was brand new perfect it wouldnt idle right hot on my van. the 4375 i have is a reman and is what im told is supposed to be the carb i need, so are you saying to knock out the plug like in your pic and put in a nipple for the vac advance?
    thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 pm

There are lots of things to check and do on these carbs,,,,,,I surely think every carb would idle on every vehicle that it would fit on,,,,,,the mixture screw would make it work from the 194 to 292 engine,,,,probably the 153 4 cylinder also. The metering rod and main jets and accelerator pump discharge might be a little off. But play with it,,,,switch bases on the carb,,,,You might have a plug screwed in your base instead of the nipple. The 4371s is listed as a 67 230 cu in Cal,,,,,the 4375s is a 67 250 cu in --both for manual transmissions. Lots of things to check,,,,like if you got full vacuum on the base,,,,maybe you got the timing set wrong and you have the idle set too high which causes vacuum to flow. The only real differences I see is the linkage,,,,the pick ups hook up different BUT switch stuff around until you get a carb that works,,,,,they are all the same,,,,,a little bit different in the jet sizes and number of vacuum hose connections. But most problems are fixable on the carb,,,you just need to identify what is the problem,,,,and that usually is too much fuel or an air leak

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 pm

my base has the nipple like one in pic and i have it capped. i ment the plug you have out in the pic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:44 am

That picture was from a previous post about what happens when that little plug falls out,,,,,it sprays gas all over the engine,,,,,,and does not stop until the bowl is empty,,,,,or the engine catches on fire,,,,,,so that is one plug you never want to fall out on you. My van is heading towards 500,000 miles,,,,,so I have had some experience with carbs,,,,many carbs,,,,over the years, lots of problems,,,,lots of repairs to keep those engines running,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 am

that would suck!! my dune buggy burnt down last year because of a carb. so how did you get ported vacuum for the dist with a carter carb??????????????
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 pm

All the Carters have ported vacuum,,,,BUT ,,,,,,if you got full vacuum at idle from that port, your timing is off,,,,,,the deal is ported vacuum is ABOVE the throttleplate,,,,,full is BELOW the throttleplate,,,,so your throttleplate is open too much and the manifold vacuum is escaping and going into the ported slot in the carb bore,,,If you got the timing retarded, the engine slows down,,,so you crank up the idle,,,,which opens the throttleplate and the manifold vacuum starts sucking on the ported nipple,,,,same deal if you are running too rich,,,,you crank the idle screw in and BOOM, BOOM,,,,OUT GOES THE VACUUM,,,,But #1 pest,,,,,POINTS!!!!
    if they aint right,,,,nothing works right,,,,it throws off all the settings,,,Always check the points 1st,,,,then readjust the timing,,,then adjust the RPM,,,then adjust the mixture,,,,so here is a pic of one of my old worn out 4371s carbs,,,,,,

carb help please 4371s_10

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:25 pm

ok i thought the screw in nipple was full vac on a carter, i hadnt started it yet to check. it had a 4371 on it and the vac adv hose ran to the one you have marked full vacuum i put on a 4375 which does not have that nipple. cool looks like im gonna fire her up. i got away from points, she has HEI Very Happy
    thanks for helping me out brother.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Thats right,,,,,that nipple that faces the drivers seat is full vacuum for a smog engine,,,,,it goes to the diverter valve. And the one that points to the valve cover is the ported one for the vacuum advance. It takes a lot of questions and clues to to fix stuff by mail, but sooner or later it gets done,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:11 am