VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
DanTheVanMan
savage
BvrWally
G-Man
veefre
PolarBear2
donivan65
Kakster
Scott
13 posters

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run) & 3rd

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Empty Re: Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run) & 3rd

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Scott, I have a set and just now gathering the needed parts. It's does add up, but I think that it will be worth it when finished. $200 for the brackets is a deal and one of you guy's even if your not ready to do the disc's getting the brackets is the first step to the job.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Empty Re: Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run) & 3rd

Post by BvrWally Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:48 am

Ditto to that G-Man! I have mine and am going to install when I get the time! I just wanted to "UpGrade" to M1D's design! I'll then be my selling the ones I have on it now!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:38 am

Would like to get the brackets, but need to pay for the heat ,EL & water Sad
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:12 am

Yep me too. Know this is an old question Leadfoot but what exactly comes with these kits? And why does there seem to be an issue getting them once their ordered?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:43 am

There’s a few different ways to put this together, so leaving it to each person to purchase their own parts gives them choices.

Some people like to use an adjustable proportioning valve, while others might buy a fixed one. If you mount your calipers forward may need a different brake hose, and theirs different bores on the Master Cylinders. The jury is still out on whether the residual valves are needed.

In my case I asked tons of questions on here and quickly became more of an expert on brakes then I ever wanted. Thanks to everyone here, especially Donivan, I’m almost finished with the setup. I went with the Master Cylinder and Proportioning Valve from a 1971 Chevy Van, and at this point I don’t believe the residual valves are needed. But I wont know for sure until I start driving it.

An exact list of parts and part numbers, or specific years and models to buy the parts from, would have been great. Right now the directions list a few different options for calipers and master cylinders, and other stuff, it gets a little confusing. But now that it’s almost over for me, I know everything there is to know about my brakes. In the future when I diagnose brake problems I will have a full understanding of all parts involved.

If a full kit is ever packaged it will be quite costly too. Putting your own parts together as needed lets you spread out the cost over time.

BTW, If you decide to take my brackets I’m going to toss in the needed mounting bolts. They were a little difficult to find, but there’s no reason for me to hang onto them. They are needed to mount the brackets to the spindle arm. I only have two or four of the lock nuts, but I have the six bolts.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:53 am

Dan the kit Leadfoot sells comes with directions you down load here and the brackets. The directions have a list of the parts needed to do the job. I have $340 in parts already and still need brake lines. This isn't a cheap upgrade, but I feel it a needed upgrade.
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Empty disk brake brackets needed??

Post by wdaguy Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Howdy I would like to order a pair of brackets for my 66 Chevy van
    can you let me know availability and cost?? Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 pm

I've got a set you can have for $200,

I'll throw in the bolts, and a couple of lock nuts too.

You can see a picture of them in a post I did in this thread a few days ago, just scroll back.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 am

DanTheVanMan wrote:Yep me too. Know this is an old question Leadfoot but what exactly comes with these kits? And why does there seem to be an issue getting them once their ordered?

last summer after the nats i ordered a batch of brackets
    first the company delayed making them because of a government job that ran over... shortly after i fell on some hard times here
    i have slowly been getting caught up to date
    and EVERYONE who has ordered parts from us has gotten them
    -
    there were a few sets of brackets ordered by vanners who said they wanted them
    and no payment arrived which also added to the hard times of covering all the costs without the funds expected
    as well as MANY inquiries on "how much" and "where to send payment"
    emails with zero reply back...
    i supply misc parts to help fund the magazine and to help the many vanners i know find what they need, we make VERY little after cost to ship the parts to us, then to the vanner ect...
    i may be late sometimes.. but i have always delivered...
    and will continue to do the best i am able
    i would like nothing more than someday to be able to "stock" large amounts of these parts so i can send them faster, but per order orders is all i am able to do and unfortunately delays do happen as a result
    i have ordered another 10 pairs of brackets to have "on-van" with me
    as various events this season and a few pairs here available for sale
    as well as the last couple sets currently due to be delivered will be leaving here shortly along with a few sets of fuzzies and glovebox's on the way now
    anyone anytime is welcome to contact me for questions or order status
    vanmagstaff@gmail.com or 860-485-5253
    (and leave a message if i miss the call!)
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:30 am

I'll personally "Vouch" for LF's integrity any time!!! He's a man of his word!
    B.W.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 am

Just remember reading threads a while back and though there was an issue getting them from the company and wondered why. Not questioning LF's integrity in any way. He's a great guy and does amazing work on the Van iN Magazine ! I would like to order a set some time in the future and wanted to know why they had been delayed in the past...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:01 pm

So Scott, sounds like you nearly are finished. I am on slow speed so I still a ways to go, have to install the new lines, MC, various valves etc., but in your experience how did it go? And out of curiosity, how did you end up with the extra set?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:39 am

he bought a second set from a fellow vanner who changed plans
    and has decided to part with them
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:58 am

I’m pretty close, right now I need to figure out if the calipers I bought are going to work because of where the brake hose mounts to them. I used the calipers from a 71 G10, which are also used on several other 70’s GMs.

It went pretty smooth, but it took me a while too. I didn’t just do the front, I rebuilt or replaced everything brakes on my van. When I bought the van last April the Master Cylinder was full of sludge. The first thing I learned on here was to replace all the brake lines because they corrode from the inside, and they are 40 years old.

Since the brackets were being fabricated I started by replacing the rear wheel cylinders, the drum springs, and then moved on to replacing the lines. The lines were a little bit of a learning curve. I pulled them all off the van, measured each one, figured out the fitting sizes, then sat on the NAPA website till I figured out what all I needed. The drop hose took a little figuring, and it wasn’t easy matching the brass t-connector. Although I found one later at the company where I bought my Proportioning Valve. Since the disc brackets hadn’t made it yet I spent my time cleaning, undercoating, and repairing some floor rust.

As far as my time spent on the actual disc, it’s been a real learning curve. I know Donivan is pretty sick of teaching me at this point, but I finally got it... I think.. When you start spending money on all the parts you want to make sure you get it right the first time. There are different options, like what Master Cylinder you want to use, and what calipers, and do you want an adjustable proportioning valve or a fixed one. Figuring out what pieces you want for your setup is the hardest part. Putting it all together is pretty simple.

Right now I’m not sure if the calipers I chose are going to work, the hose seems like it’s going to hit the shock, or point towards the ground. And I confirmed that my 14” rims won’t fit over the calipers. Now I’m budgeting for new rims too.

I ended up with an extra set of brackets because I found another Vanner that decided to part out his van instead of fixing it up. I was doing all kinds of stuff while I waited for the brackets I ordered, but I was really just holding out for them so I could continue with the brakes. I found the extra brackets posted on another site so I jumped on them. At the time my dream was to get this van finished, and then buy a 64 van to hot-rod. So having an extra set of brackets would cover me for the next one. Now that I have put so much of my time into this first van I have changed my mind about getting a second one.

I choose to use the Master Cylinder, and Proportioning Valve from a 71 G10. The Proportioning Valve cam from http://www.inlinetube.com. It was kind of pricy, but I wanted a new one so I bit the bullet. They also have the elusive Rear Hose Tee connector. The tee is 7/16-20 on one side, and 3/8-24 on the other 2 sides. Its listed in their catalog as part number: GMTEE01

I also used http://www.partsamerica.com for some of my parts, like the rotors. Good pricing, even with shipping. On their site you can also look up a part, then tell it to show you what other vehicles that part was used on.

If I don’t get any takers on here for the extra brackets I will probably list them on eBay, then post a link to the auction on the various van sites. I would much rather have them go to a Vanner on here though.

One more thing that might be helpful, here is a pic of the brake layout that was on the van before I started. The list of NAPA part numbers are just a reference to help you pick what you need.

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Brake_10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:25 pm

You could also get the braided steel hoses, which are all the same, just different lengths, and you choose what adapters you need to make it fit on your van,,,,,,,

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Chevy_21

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Chevy_22
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Wow, those look really good..

And whats with the rubber hose coming from the differential? I've got that on mine but havent found the other end of the hose. Does it just stick up into the body?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 pm

You are looking at a genuine 1970 California Emission System,,,,,,the tank is off right there and there are 7 hose connections on it,,,,,,,the 4 corner hoses go up into the right rear corner of the van into a vapor separator then to a cannister up front. I could probably get you a good deal on this system,,,,,,,,

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Chevy_23

Disk Brake Kits (2nd Run)  & 3rd - Page 2 Workin19
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:45 pm

And if you do have a hose coming off the differential, its a vent,,,,,some just have a cap right there,,,,,some have a hose that just hangs around the gas tank tank,,,,try to point it out of the dirt and water,,,,like face it down and back,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:19 pm

and what ever ya do.. don't plug that hose or vent from the diff
    the pressure will build and blow out the axle and pinion seals
    so make sure the hose isn't plugged either.. gotta breath!
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 am

I am one of those guys leadfoot is talking about not responding... I have been meaning to and just have been extremely busy and it slipped my mind. All i can say is sorry! I do really want to do this conversion but at the same time have so much other things I need to do to my van... I know I will be doing it sooner or later. The first step would be getting these brackets...I appreciate the fact that people take the time to make these custom parts and share them with other vanners, along with all the great advice and tips and knowledge of the site members.
    I will send out payment for a set of brackets on Monday, Feb. 16th.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:11 am

no problem Mo i wasn't pointing any fingers or toes
    we'll watch for it

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:30 am

Mo if something has changed please let me know
    , no payment here as of today ,just letting you know incase it was sent...
    if anyone else is interested in a set please also let me know ASAP
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 am

Got it mailed out on Tuesday... So it should be there soon I hope?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:50 am

ok thanks i'll check the box tomorrow
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I've still got an extra set of Disc Brackets if anyone is interested.

My poor van has been gathering dust for the last three months since my job has me traveling three weeks out of each month. I've got all the parts tossed in the back right now, hopefully by the end of June I'll be able to get back on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:45 am