VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up??

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? Empty Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up??

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Today I finally decide to stop at that yard to ask about the yellow Ford pick-up I kept seeing for months! Every time I pass that pick-up...I said, "one of the days I've got to turn around and ask the owner about this one!" That bugged me - LOL.

Well, the yard owner said it's fine I can go have a look. It's in worse shape than I thought! Hey, when you are at 200 yards far from where it sat and with 2 wire-barred fences in front... nothing you can do at this point. Anyway, I was able to took some photos for you to see!

He said that it was brought in the yard for storage 5 years ago and whoever owned - has disappeared gone for good. Said if I want it - it can be up for sale, he's asking for $800 for the whole thing, but did say will take offers! I told him straight that at most likely only good for parts.

I've written what I think might be good for parts:

1 good passenager door
    2 Crager GT rims - 14" size
    2 door key knobs
    2 door handles
    Good windsheild (amazing it's in great shape!) and good rear window.
    Good front bumper - straight
    One good headlight bezel - driver's side

There is a 302 V8 engine - not sure what year but my guts tell me it's maybe early '70s, if not late 60s? Who knows since it's not the original engine anyway. Whoever owned had made this into a hot rod -type - as you can see the photos below!

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up001

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up002

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up003

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up004

Last edited by 63Mercury on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding one more part item.)

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? Empty Re: Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up??

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:44 pm

More Photos....

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up005

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up006

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up007

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up008

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up009

Now the reason why did I think it could be a Mercury model and not a Ford? The next photo tell all you need to know.

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? FordEconolinepick-up010

I've copied the whole door VIN tag on the door jamb (next to dashboard), I would have had took a photo but my camera was low on battery.

First line:
    5901190L-149465A Trim: 04 Paint: WH Axle:4.00.1

Second Line:
    Series: M-11 Wheelbase: 90

Third Line:
    Engine/trans: Z-31/D

The VIN plate shows the words "The Ford Company of Canada Ltd" so I suspected the code "M-11" means to be Mercury and that the tailgate shows that word. Can someone confirms with my suspection??

Last edited by 63Mercury on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up?? Empty Re: Could this possible be a Mercury Econoline pick-up??

Post by sasktrini Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Looks like it buddy... the "590" instead of "690", the shape of the front badge...

but WTF... looks like the PO hacked it up! Had to be from Saskatchewan too!

If you could restore the tailgate, it would be worth something. May be a good parts donor... weren't you going to drop a 302in your van?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:45 am

The Mercury econoline pickup are rare for sure, about 2 months ago there was one on craigslist. The truck looks to far gone to restore, but I would see about buying that tailgate and restore that. Ford econo tailgate bring $$$$ I can't even think what a Mercury tailgate would bring

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:41 am

Yeah, I'm awake of the fact the Mercury Econoline PU models are rare... I don't know how many were built since there's almost little or no information for that. This PU above is at the point of beyond for restoring...but then I could be wrong!

Restore ...THIS tailgate? Surprised G-Man, have you seen the rust behind the cracking paint/bondo on back? And with the sheet metal screwed on front, I can't begin to think what is hidden behind there! I'll admit it'd be a good challenge for my metalwork skills and as I love challenges...but that would be a dandy project for me! Laughing

Now, the next questions is: What year do you think for this PU? I have no way of telling from where I see.

And in what reasonable offer, you guys here, think I should give for this truck?
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 am

62-64 would be my guess. I don't have my books with me, out of town. No hump for the big trans, sloped steering column mount and early dash. Guessing it originally had a floor heater. Is that a big enough load of BS! Oh yeah, short doghouse...

And I wouldn't say it is beyond repair, I mean, with all the perfectly reproduced sheet metal available for these you could do it!

Sorry for all the sarcasm, been on a weekend family reunion with my inlaws, out of state, away from my Earlies and my unfinished shop, compounded by the fact it's been raining for two weeks.

Need to see some sunshine!
    Enough whining!
    Later,
    Rip
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:21 pm

That tailgate might take some work, but if done right it will bring a pile of cash that you could use for your Mercury. Plus in a way you would be sort of saving alittle of that old Mercury. Just a idea to make yourself some cash for your project
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:41 am

Thats a Mercury VIN for sure but whos to say the plate hasnt been swapped around? The only things that make a Merc different are the VIN plate,tailgate,horn button and nose emblem and rear emblem if a van. Its easy to swap all that to another vehicle. Apears to me to be a 63 or 64 from the column support but that too could have been changed since the column has been changed to a modern tilt type. Has the 65-67 style front bumper on it. If no floor hump for bell housing then the only way to be certain is the stamped VIN on the vehicle which is on the brace inside the bed by the tail lights,normally the passenger side one. Other than that ,the VIN is under the doghouse lip which you cant see with doghouse installed. Depending on what you need off the truck I wouldnt pay more than $300 for it. WIndshields alone cost ya $200 or more new. The tailgate is where the mony is. The most important part is the stamped center section that says MERCURY. The other pieces can be fabbed up if necessary. Looks to be only on the truck by chains. I dont see any hinges so the bottom probably rotted away. Someone with a MERC p/u needs that I guarantee it. I've sold a lot of tailgates and thats easily worth $100 as is without getting a better inspection of it. I ll pass on the VIN and get a decode for ya.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:33 pm

The VIN plate on door pillar (next to dashboard) hasn't been tramped, it looks to be unaltered - even there are traces of overspray by the paint on there. The plate also have the original scripted title "Ford Company of Canada Ltd". The nose emblem - if you can see the imprint on the nose, you can see the lines like the Mercury emblem would have. Other than that, it's all I know beside the tailgate...which shows the strongest proof.

I'll find time to go back for a closer look and I may want to check the chassis and frame. Even will try get more pictures for the other VIN locations you said where should be.

On my mind for offers... I was thinking of $500 max - no more beyond that. Remember it has the 302 V8 (not original, I know) but who's to say it may be an early 302 block? I'll need to look for the cast date on that block.

Assuming if the truck looks to be savable for a future project, that will be well much later AFTER I finish my '63 van! If it's not good to be saved, then I'll take whatever parts I will need for my van, fix up the tailgate to sell for VAN FUNDS! Wink

A tough decision... when it's about an OLD vintage girl, lol!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 am

You could pick up the truck, load it up on to the trailer and store it out here when you pick up the van... when are you coming to pick up the van anyway?

Post by Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:06 pm

The pics of the truck are not showing on the thread as I look at them.
    I have seen a merc truck econo's over the years. They are a lot less of them than Ford. I have a Mercury endgate here. Not sure what to do with it yet. May use it on one of my project trucks.
    As for sheet metal for these trucks and vans. I find there is not enough. No front rocker panels. Or front and rear roll pans. Or the front floors which are usually rotted. Also the gas filler box on the inside of the truck box or vans. They rust out along the base. and floor there. I wish I could find someone who makes those panels.
    63 merc. Where can I see the pics you posted. The thread says they are in photobucket.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 am

Hi, I took them out to make room in my photobucket account. I'll see about putting them somewhere there. As for the yellow Merc pickup - it seem to had disappeared where it was parked the other day? I don't see it now, I guess it was either sold or moved somewhere in this yard??
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:19 am

No one got that Mercury tailgate on that pickup??? I would still see if you could get that one piece if its still there. I'm sure you could make some coin from it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:19 am