VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
VANagain
wideload
donivan65
m1dadio
Digz
xjamesx
10 posters

automatic tranny questions

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Empty Re: automatic tranny questions

Post by Digz Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:28 pm

I can show you what I have gotten to work with.
    automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Lockup10
    My local tranny guy says that the hot rod guys arent running the vacumn switch, just the pressure switch. I think you will want the TV cable, it tells the tranny what to do with itself when ya really step on the gas.Heres some directions out of the boxes.
    automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Instr210
    The vacumn switch will cut out the lock up if you need more gear for like going up a hill (more throttle ,less vac) Im going to try this route.
    My tranny is out of an 83 and has a 4th gear test port, if yours doesnt have the test port, you may have to drill and tap one in.
    automatic tranny questions - Page 1 4thpor11
    Some kits have the plug but you may only need one wire. Hers another diagram .
    automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Instr311
    the 700's dont use any vac lines. Im just using the converter that was with the tranny out of a truck. Also that circuit for the trans should be fused 10 amp. I havent figured out a good way to use a brake switch or mount one anywhere usable. Still learning this stuff myself.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 pm

I am about to deal with the TCC switch on mine right now. I intend to get a marine grade (water proof) push button switch, mount it thought the floor fron the inside right above the brake pedal arn so it is depresed by the brake pedal arm when the pedal is released. I will show pictrures when I get them. This will be cheep and easy. I will get the lowest profile switch I can since it will be on the floor just bellow the brake pedal I dont want it too in the way of anything.

James, I dont think the torque converters are interchangable. The 80's one may not even be a lock up type. Its best to stay with what the 700R4 came with or buy a new upgraded one for that specific trany.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:57 pm

You got 2 circuits to deal with,,,,,,the one to energize the lock up converter and the one to de energize it. And the energizer is in the pan, the other outside it. When the soleniod locks up the convertor, the van is no longer an automatic,,,,it is stuck in 4th gear like a manual trans without a clutch,,,,,thats why they want a switch hooked to the brake pedal to cut power to the solenoid and shut it off so the trans switches back to automatic mode. otherwise the van is locked in gear unless you shift into neutral or have a cut off switch somewhere,,,,,but you won't have time to be looking for switches when you want to stop. And that vacuum switch is another safety switch,,,,,,it unlocks the convertor so it will downshift into passing gear when the engine starts lugging down like going up a hill. And this is the connector that goes into the pan and the pressure switch and solenoid,,,,,

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Repair61
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:34 pm

so i'll need a setup/switch like this?
    http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=334
    and this to make it work properly?
    http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=229
    i am just making sure i am understanding what exactly i need, and if you have any other suggestions, please throw them in...
    and any torque converter for a 700r4 should be fine?
    i saw this one was a decent price and for stock motors:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/242738/10002/-1
    i didnt know what to look for and i want to keep this affordable. i didnt know if i should just get a stock replacement one for cheaper or run one like i just linked...
    i totally appreciate all this input. My van needs this tranny bad and i am clueless as far as trannys go...
    james
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Well,,,, the 700r4 does not use vacuum,,,,,,,it relies on a throttle valve cable for its shifts,,,,,,so you need that cable and a bracket to connect it to your carburetor. And you need a male connector to fit into the female connector on the side of the trans so that you can energize the solenoid which energizes the torque convertor and locks it up which puts it into overdrive. And there are 2 different 700r4 transmissions,,,,,computerized and non computerized that control the convertor. And there are different ways and kits for wiring up the system in the transmission pan, as well as the systems outside the pan. VanAgain is getting ready to wire up his 700R4 and has the kits and instructions,,,,,,so lets get him to explain what he got,,,,,and he got everything store bought,,,,,the other way is using parts off another car,,,,,,there are a few 700r4 sites that deal with how to wire up the systems in and out of the trans pan,,,,,,

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Did Vanagain ever finish the trans hanger he was working on?

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Heres what I am doing for the brake activated TCC disemgage switch.

It is a wheather proof normaly open momentary switch from NAPA. made by Cole Hersee.

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 DSCN0037

Mounted so the brake like switch lever strikes it

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 DSCN0038-1

Its onlt 3/4" tall so its not in the way

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 DSCN0041

Make sure you upgrade the old spring so it trigers the swithes and fully withdraws the master cylinder.

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 DSCN0045-1

M1D
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 am

My tranny hanger still looks like this:

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Tranny10 automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Tranny11

It does the job while it's sitting in my driveway. I've been waiting to weld in the steel tube for the rubber mount until I was sure of the angle of the engine/tranny. Now that I've put in the final blocks to lower the engine, I can finish this tranny mount. Can't wait!

I'm about to post some photos of the TV cable mount I fabricated this weekend. I also got the tranny shifter linkage almost done. Watch for a posting here tomorrow.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:43 am

I've been told by a few Vanners that the 200r4 would be a good choice for our vans too, and you won't have to shorten the driveshaft. Is it true about the driveshaft, and why 700r4 over the 200r4. I know there are different gear ratios, but how will the van drive different.

Looking at this chart below, and hearing that I won't have to shorten my axle to swap to 200r4, the Powerglide that came in our vans must have been the 'Powerglide Long'??

I'm a little ways off from doing the swap, but want to choose my transmission now so I can keep my eyes open for a deal, so I'm trying to figure out if I want the 700 or 200. Sure don't mind shorting the axle if the 700 is better.

I guess the next hurdle will be trying to hook the Neutral Safety harness, and the Powerglide linkage, to the new transmission.

Scott wrote:Good reference guide pulled from: http://www.transmissionplanet.com

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Pictur20
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 am

I'm thinking about going with this one because I like the thought of having the automatic van on there. I haven't done the measuring yet, but hope to put it behind the battery box with some kind of shield to keep the mud and rocks from destroying it. The price tag sure is painful though..

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Pictur22
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:28 pm

There's no need to add an additional switch to the brake pedal if you use this method described by Bowtie Overdrive:

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/relay_install/index.shtml
    http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/relay_install/diagram.shtml

I got their kit but the main item is just a relay. You hook up the relay so that power is going to the tranny whenever the key is on. They don't show what's going on inside that relay but 30 and 87a are connected by default (when the relay is not energized). You splice a wire to the brake light wire and run it to 85. 86 goes to ground. When you hit the brakes, the same 12V that lights your tail lights energizes the relay, which opens 30 and 87a (and closes 30 and 87, which isn't used). So this cuts power to the tranny when you hit the brake.

This relay and the wiring will go under the dash. You can tap into the brake light wire right at the switch on the brake pedal. Then run the one wire all the way to the connector on the tranny.

Their second schematic shows how to add a switch to keep the overdrive from ever kicking in, like when towing a trailer or when driving in hills. Looks like it provides power to one of the other tranny terminals which keeps the torque converter clutch from ever locking up. Here's more info on adding this switch:

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/towing/index.shtml

This weekend I'll be hooking up this relay on my van. I'll keep ya posted.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:14 am

awesome! looking forward to how it goes for you as this is my only real winter project on my van but i am a little nervous so i appreciate everyones input on how it went for them...
    james
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:27 pm

bump
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 pm

OK I can't just sit idley by and not comment on this one.

I don't like to talk negative about anything but I have to here.

The wiring diagrams shown on this link.
    http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/relay_install/diagram.shtml

hardly tell the whole story and look to be wrong.

First of all the diagram for the relay set up depicks only one of a possible 30+ different switching configurations inside the 700R4 can come in. I am sure that when one hooks up thier trany with this kit and can't get it to work ,the boys at the sales counter will gladly sell you the internal switch kit, that goes with it.

Don't swet it, it is easy to make the internal wiring right if yours is not correct.

In my GM service mannaul for the 1988 firebird there is 14 very different internal wiring configurations the 700R4 could have come in for that year alone. Some have solinoids that are internally grounded (grounded inside the pan to a valve body bolt) or some come extrnally grounded through the plug (like mine). Some have up to 4 oil preasure switches, and there are four types of switches used, some of those switches are "normally open" while some are "Normally closed" , they come in single post using thier case as ground or double post with no ground connection(mine was a wrong switch in the 4rth gear gallery which was the main reason my trany did not shift right). Other tranys could have one or more thermally activated switches wired in series or parrellel. Again this all depends on the set up it was configured to match the rest of the car that the trany came from.

The rest of your 700R4 is the same as all others, so all you will have to do if your trany is not right is remove the trany pan and change the switches as required, this may involve removing some exsisting switches and making sure the correct kind of switch is installed in the right port and that other ports where unneeded switches were removed are pluged. In some cases you may have to ground the solinoid black wire to a bolt inside the pan if it allready isn't that way.

On the brake light switch thing. It is not so clever and is to easy for anybody with half and elecrically inclined mind to think of this as the first and easiest way to make the TCC deactivate. But there is a reason the Feds told the car manufactures they had to use a seperate stan alone switch on the brake pedal. (it is just way too easy for GM to connect a simmular circuit to the exsisting brake light switch but they didn't!). The 1st problem comes in stopping the vehicle when the brake light switch fails to activate the relay, deactivating the TCC solinoid. If the TCC does not disengage while stopping it will be like trying to stop in a standard transmision vehicle without pushing in the clutch. (That is if your 700R4 is actually working right). Your trany will beet the S#*T out of itself as it downshiffs with the TCC fully engaged. Now I know stopping is kind of a new thing, not so well though out in the day of the early. That early brake light switch is about as reliable as my ex-wife. I installed an independant higher quality, weather protected switch to do the job in my van. Also if you have any elecrical screw ups with your brake light or turn signal circuit or your rear bulbs short causing the park lights to feed back through the brake light circuit, you are going to have a TCC clutch engaging and dis-engaging at will which I can garrantee will buger up your transmision if the TCC trys to engage at a very wrong time

I challenge any body out there with some elecrical knowlege to look at that schematic and guess whats going to happen when you are on the highway with the TCC engaged and you use your turn signal to change lanes ; HA HA HA!!!! Seriously, what are they thinking? Firstly the extra load of the primary coil in the relay will make a standard turn signal flasher goe high speed, and the TCC will go on/off/on/off/on/off with the flasher.

If you are using this relay in your van make sure the wire from terminal 85 of the relay gets connected to the brake light wire in your van that goes from your brake light switch up to the turn signal switch and not one of the brake light wires heading to the back. On the 1st gen that wire is the white one.

Now that "trailer towing hook up diagram" that is rediculas, let me explain, the intension of the extra switch is to shut off the TCC so it can't engage when you are heavy towing right? Firstly, in order for that TCC relay systen to work, the TCC solinoid has to be internally grounded and it gets its B+ signal via the red wire( the TCC is engaged when the solinoid is activated) which means the relay is a nomally closed relay (pins 87A and 30 are connected with brake light off) Power is at the 4rth gear preasure switch (which needs to be a normally open descreat switch which closes in fourth gear). Then only after you are in fourth gear the power will activate the TCC solinoid engaging the clutch. When power is applied to the primary side of the relay via the brake lights, the relay will pull and break the conection between pins 87a and 30 which will turn off the solinoid, dissengaging the TCC. Or if you down shift out of 4rth the presure switch will break power to the TCC and dissengage the clutch. Thats whats suposed to happen, so take a look at the added in switch on the blue wiire, what does it do? The only thing it can possibly achive the way it is shown is to bypass the 4rth gear preasure switch and allow the TCC to be engaged in any gear. Whats up with that??? That would be like up shifting a 4 speed standard trany all the way through the gears without using the clutch.

If you want to dissable the TCC for towing, you need the added switch to be on the red wire between pin 30 and the "key on wire" to cut B+ power.

Then on the other hand maybe I have it all wrong, maybe some one wants the TCC engaged more often when towing, but if so why in any/every gear?

It is a fact that both the trany and engine run a little cooler while crusing with the TCC engaged. But thats while crusing, not pulling a trailer up a hill. Most factory 700r4 set ups have other devises incorperated to dissengage the TCC when under heavier loads then cruise. The above aftermarket set up does not; unless you intend to add one (which is what the "towing switch" is for)

M1D

Last edited by m1dadio on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong word used)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm

So what about the switch problem on yours,,,,,,,was it bad,,,,,,wrong,,,,,,or not compatible with the rest of your van????
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 pm

I discovered the trany that was bolted up to my engine in the donner car was actually a 1994 transmision. The wiring inside was completly wrong and did sort of resemble one of the 1988 700R4 models, and had a switch in the 4rth gear port that worked actually opposite to what my computer needed.

Even though my computer though the trany was always in 4rth gear it was trying to turn on the TCC electrically but the TCC would not engage because it needs the 4rth gear oil gallary preasure to physically work. I forget now exactly how it happens hydraulicly but when the TCC solinoid is activated but the forth gear oil presure is not there the trany thinks it needs to hurry up and get into four (something like that) so my trans would up shift all the way to forth before I got to 15 MPH.

Anyways I have the diagram in the mannual of how my trans is supossed to be wired and what switches are suposed to be where so it was quite easy to make it right and now it shifts at exactly the speeds the book says its supossed to shift at.

Mine was like this when I opened it.
    http://www.wonders-in-wood.us/images/hotrodboard/700r4/vb3.jpg

I had to eliminate that two wire thermal switch and change the single lead switch with the green connector (in the 4rth gear gallary) from the normally open one to a nsingle lead normally closed switch for my set up.

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Here are a couple other examples of just how different the internal wiring can be set up depending on what you want.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/376600_inst.htm

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Like I said, that relay wiring set up will work if your transmision is like the one depicted in the diagram. If it is not, it is quite easy to change it.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Now that makes sense,,,,,your 1988 computer was not compatible with that 1994 transmission,,,,,,,,,and you thought swapping in the whole 1988 system would avoid any mismatched parts,,,so it just goes to show you, that you just don't know what you are going to find out there,,,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Thats so true, half the time just never know what your getting and the other half the time your not getting what you thought you were.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm

You know Michel, one day, when we are long gone, someone will be posting that they have just bought a Silver 65 Chevy Van and it needs fixing but the Chevy Van Manual just doesnt cover anything of what is on it,,,,,,and they will be asking if anyone has ever seen another van like this,,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:25 pm

LMAO!!! you got that right.

M1D
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:05 am

It's funny to here that Don. I have seen many vans in my search and looked at the work done by past owners of vans and asked myself "What were they thinking?" and others you can see their plan as soon as you see there van. All different and all very unique.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:56 am

You can also add, " What was I thinking", as you go back to an old repair that you once did,,,,,,And what about our houses,,,,,,someday, somebody, is sure going to be surprised when they find certain modifications that we did because it needed to be done to make our life better,,,,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Oh I know what you mean! Had a few of those in my lifetime. OK, maybe more than a few!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

automatic tranny questions - Page 1 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm