VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Finally found an Econoline, what to look for???

Finally found an Econoline, what to look for??? Empty Finally found an Econoline, what to look for???

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:10 am

Hey, I am new here and to vans, but I have always wanted one and now have the chance (fingers crossed)!

I have finally found an Econoline, but the info I got from the seller doesn’t match up with the limited info I have on this particular van.

So as a nOOb, I need some advice on what to look for.

What the seller claims to have is a 1967 (window van) with a 6 cyl. 3 speed, he “thinks” it has a 140 or 170 motor. Now what I want to know is, did a ’67 have a 140 or 170? I thought Ford stopped using those and bumped up to the 200/250 after 1965, I could be wrong or he could have an earlier year van???

The other thing he mentioned was the front end had been rebuilt and was “stiff”. I didn’t get the chance to ask what had been done, I am assuming new king pins??? I know this isn’t a Cadillac, would new king pins make the front end “stiff”? Or could something be buggered up I need to look for?

The only other thing I know to look for is rust around the wheel wells.
    So what else should I look for?

Thanks in advance! And with any luck I will have a new Econo!

Here is the only picture…
    Finally found an Econoline, what to look for??? 1967
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Finally found an Econoline, what to look for??? Empty Re: Finally found an Econoline, what to look for???

Post by crazee Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Chrome Crom wrote:Hey, I am new here and to vans, but I have always wanted one and now have the chance (fingers crossed)!

I have finally found an Econoline, but the info I got from the seller doesn't’t match up with the limited info I have on this particular van.

So as a nOOb, I need some advice on what to look for.

What the seller claims to have is a 1967 (window van) with a 6 cyl. 3 speed, he “thinks” it has a 140 or 170 motor. Now what I want to know is, did a ’67 have a 140 or 170? I thought Ford stopped using those and bumped up to the 200/250 after 1965, I could be wrong or he could have an earlier year van???

The other thing he mentioned was the front end had been rebuilt and was “stiff”. I didn’t get the chance to ask what had been done, I am assuming new king pins??? I know this isn’t a Cadillac, would new king pins make the front end “stiff”? Or could something be buggered up I need to look for?

The only other thing I know to look for is rust around the wheel wells.
    So what else should I look for?

Thanks in advance! And with any luck I will have a new Econo!

Here is the only picture…
    Finally found an Econoline, what to look for??? 1967

Having recently rebuilt a 1964 Econoline front end...........NO! - new king pins will not make it stiff. But an "over-tighten steering box" or other botched "fixes" can. ( some dummies always try to over tighten the steering box to fix a worn or misligned front end instead of fixing the front end. This can be very bad and replacement steering boxes are expensive)

It looks in the pic to have "maybe" lowered. If so, this could be the "botched job". "MOST" ( not all) who attempt a lowering job on these screw up the ride and handling I've found. BECAUSE THEY DO IT WRONG and then don't line it properly after on top of it.

I think you could still get the 170 after 65. Also they had 200, 240 stock that year I "think". But a fast look at where the distrib sits and other clues will tell you the engine type.

What to "watch for" are GOOD BRAKES, a non-leaking fuel tank and the MOST IMPORTANT on any flat front van "IS" the state of being of the front end. "MOST" have screwed front ends unless low miles or rebuilt. The front end repair is a big chore and can be EXPENSIVE if you do not do the work yourself.

Another "flaw" in these vans is the 3 speed linkage on the column. This wears out and if sloppy will lock between gears...A REAL PAIN! It can be easily fixed with new bushings and good shifter rods though.

Also look for extensive rusting under the front part of van.........especially that hidden by the belly pan.

There you have "MY OPINION".

Finally found an Econoline, what to look for??? Empty Re: Finally found an Econoline, what to look for???

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Crazee, Thanks for the info!

What signs should I look for that it has been lowered? Possibly?

When you say “screwed front end” do you mean collision damage?
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:14 pm

If it is a 67 it will have a rectangular hole in the floor to access the master cylinder, all other years had a round hole.

Best thing to do is drive it yourself.

Good luck,
    Rip

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Yea, I will test drive it.

Thanks
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:03 pm

The biggest thing to look for is rust, check it out all over. That alone will caust more than any other repairs.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Chrome Crom wrote:Crazee, Thanks for the info!

What signs should I look for that it has been lowered? Possibly?

When you say “screwed front end” do you mean collision damage?

What I mean is wore out king pins, broke springs or spring hangers, messed up spindles, etc. -- but "USUALLY" it's king pins wore out and bad alignment on Econolines.

And YES...............RUST........ No frame...so spring hangers and other critical parts under must be solid or big problems.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 am