VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug g van ????

newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? Empty newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug g van ????

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 am

have 68 108 g van started to work on or info on drums & shoes can i still get new
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? Empty Re: newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug g van ????

Post by savage Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 am

Welcome ED. You got a G-20(3/4 ton) van if its got 6 lugs You can still get the shoes ,MC,& I think the back drums($$$) not sure about fronts,or wheel cyl??. Heres a pic of mine[img]newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? File0421[/img]

newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? Empty Re: newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug g van ????

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:41 am

is yours 6 or 8 cyl had my van for 15 years my bro had it befor that this van came stock w/ 307cu 4speed on tree i have put 3 engines in it over years my 350/4speed was the best then was stolen got it back no engine or trans gutted interor started over engine/new interor auto trans got it running engine started to nock parked it for 9years started again installed fresh bored over 307 last week need to strip & repaint need front marker/turn lenses cracked looks like u need bumpers the bumpers on my van are rear ford granda bumpers
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:01 am

Ed, Wow thats cool you had yours for 15 + years I only had the 68 for a few(came from CA full of parts)[img]newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? File0314[/img] Yes its got a 307 with a PG & posi 4/11 rear in it. I've heard of the 4 speed on 6 cyl , but never with a V-8 Cool The side lights are the sams as 3rd gen Chevy vans& I think the front TS are the same as a P -10 panel van(big step van) as I remember you need to do a little sanding to get it to fit. I got some extra used ones, but not in great shape if you need some

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:40 am

is that a 2 speed pg trans ? i would love to have my 4 speed back when the van was stolen it had a 4 speed shifter mounted right next to the driver seat because v8s doghouse is wider the 6cyl my brother mounted chevy vaga bucket seats . mounted a 4 speed camro shifter between seat & engine box & custom made shifter linkage it worked sooo great
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:25 am

Hey Ed,

So far nobody has spoken up on this site about making or finding Disc Brakes for a G20.

The last few times it was asked it ended with the thought that the larger drums on the G20 were more then enough stopping power.

The G10s have smaller drums..

oh, and welcome to the site..
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 am

As far as your lenses go you might consider this..

http://vintage-vans.com/gp_tail_lens1.html

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:08 am

thanks scott the brakes on my van still work good i was just wonding if any one tryed it so i guess the the answer is no my biggest problem now is a broken rear main leaf spring 3'' at pirchs 2.5 at axle 3 leafs front springs need to be rearced or add some leafs too low the front leafs are 3 2.5 3 also with 2 leafs tryed to order new ones some one i talked to told me i would have to send a springs from my van to a spring shop with out knowing a price $$ ????????
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:38 am

I know a guy in Bristol that has some leafs that he may not be needing. They are from the front of a 2nd. Gen and he said they didn't need to be re-arched. I'll shoot him an email to see if he decided what to do with them yet.

Instead of re-arching I added a couple of leafs to the front of mine.

I'll see if I can find the post were someone else on the site had theirs done.

Here's the thread I was working off of when I added to mine.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/g-van-general-discussion-f4/my-springs-are-sprung-t696.htm

newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? Empty springs ??

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:07 am

scott how did u make out on the springs
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am

I'm waiting to hear back from the guy I know in Bristol about those springs. I think they are off the front of a 69 G10, which means they only of two leafs on each side, but I think they measure 3" on the ends, and 2.5" in the center. They probably won't be the right length for the rear of your van though. If he is interested I will just hook you two together, then you can sort out the measurements from the center bolt out, and the widths.

On mine, as you will see in the thread I listed above, I went to the Pick-A-Part and bought some 2.5" wide springs. It wasn't so hard cutting them with a Miter Saw, but drilling for center bolts killed a lot of bits. As you probably saw the springs are in, and I am happy with how it helped the old springs. But I still havent been able to drive it yet, so I cant tell you how good it really is yet.

I did that partly to save money from having to pay for re-arching, figured if this didn't work I could always go back to re-arch. One thing I wonder is what problem will I have from not having the Teflon inserts between the added springs. I really hope I don't get the constant grind from the metal rubbing away between those springs.

If money were no object I would have just taken it to a spring shop..

I think this is the other thread I was thinking about..
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/g-van-general-discussion-f4/leaf-spring-source-t2121.htm?highlight=spring

newbie has any one done diskbreakes on 6lug  g van ???? Empty re spring

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 pm

found a spring thanks to leadfoot told me of a place to find one i dont have $600 ?? forall new springs i dont have a money tree thats y we work on our own vans my buddy is going to pick up spring saturday $ 45.00

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:25 am