VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Side window-> be gone!

Side window-> be gone! Empty Side window-> be gone!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:30 pm

I couldn't wait to rid my ride of that fugly side window. I've put a piece of Centra (sign material) in the hole just for now. I have a little flux core wire welder but I hope to buy a little Millermatic Mig soon, so until then I don't want to weld anything in there.

My plan is to put backing strips around the opening, then a filler piece butt welded in...much like how this door repair is done -> http://www.autobodystore.com/door_rust.shtml but again, not until I get my new welder. Until then, this will have to do. Looks better already!

Side window-> be gone! Window10

Side window-> be gone! Window11

Side window-> be gone! Window12

Next up in the body department will be those roof hooks, but first I need to sort out the electronic ignition wiring that isn't quite right on this new motor..need to get this new motor working right.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Side window-> be gone! Empty Re: Side window-> be gone!

Post by jkr Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:00 pm

check with a good body shop supplier for a product called "3-m panelbond". it is an adhesive that is used to glue body panels on.i have seen it in use and belive me it works. no welding and warping of the metal means less body work later. because these vans have such thick metal you will warp them. you could still put the strips on the inside and then cut your patch to fit tightly in the opening. most body shops only use light gauge sheet metal but doing it this way you can use metal about as thick as the original stuff.when all is said and done just fill the screw holes used to secure the metal together and a thin layer of filler and some long block bodywork and done.note though make sure you remove ALL PAINT from the attaching surfaces.you will not be able to seperate these two pieces of metal if done properly. i tried with an air chisel and they wont let go. heating the metal red hot does however .that warps the metal quite a bit as well.
    jeff

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:19 pm

That's a really good point JKR. I've been considering glueing a piece in and I've been reading a lot about it.

This brand of glue here shows how to use the stuff -> http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsServices/Adhesives/FusorAutomotiveAftermarketProducts/RepairProcedures/tabid/3411/Default.aspx

I have no idea if their brand is better than anyone elses, but their little PDF repair procedures sure make you think about this as an option.

I had found a site where a guy compared samples of metal lap welded, spot welded, butt welded, bolted, etc. to glued together and the welds broke everytime before the glued stuff.

Do you think you can hammer and dolly the metal after? Given that this repair is right on the side of the van, I'm worried about it looking uneven and needing some flattening out...I was thinking welding might be better for hammering work. Any thoughts on that?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 pm

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:45 pm

heating the metal weakens the glue. dolly block on it all day. wont affect it at all.but to much grinding to the point where the metal turns blue or welding with a mig or torch will release the set and weaken the joint "in that area". i used this stuff on a piece of scrap metal and after 24 hours set time put it on the frame bench where i worked and put about 5 tons of force to it. the metal tore on both sides of the glue but did not show any sign of release. makes for an interesting re-repair on the same panel. you have to move one side or the other or burn it free with a torch witch will warp metal all to hell. i can't say about other products but this (3-m stuff) is great and easy to work with.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Okay, the 3m stuff it is then!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I researched the 3m glue a little. It's 3m panel adhesive number 08115. It's almost $100 for a tube, which is really a dual tube that you mix as you squeeze it out. Oh ya, the caulking gun (Mixpac applicator gun number 08117 ) you need to get the stuff out of the tube costs $391.00!! I think some websites might have it cheaper, but still a lot.

So for about $500 I can glue my window panel in. I don't think so!!!

Maybe I'll try and find a shop that will do it for a price, or I'm going to spend $700 on a nice new welding machine and weld it in like plan A.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:03 pm

lol i use the 3m panel goo too
    got my gun from my paint supplier was like 130 bucks
    and around 80 for each "double tube"
    works GREAT but i don't use it often
    had a saturn in the shop for a new window regulator
    and had to remove the outer door skin to do it! junk !
    go with the mig man

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:42 am

Yep...I remember working on a Saturn and having to do that. Only after I removed the inner door panel did I figure it out. LOL

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:51 am

Are you saying that the outer door skin on a Saturn is glued on, making it junk? Suggesting the glue on method is junk? Or are you saying a Saturn is junk? (we already know that btw) Smile

Last edited by enbro on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 am

having to remove the outer door panel to replace a window regulator
    is JUNK lol
    the 3-m stuff is almost too good a stuff to use on a saturn
    bet the glue out lasts the car!
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 am

throw away the saturn and get a dodge

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:19 am

not my ride, it was a customers
    i got a ride home of my own Smile
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:36 am

thats good i know todays gas prices we all need a little egg beater to squeeze every drop of gas we can. i got a 87 buick coupe Laughing im all set for the pga tour! but a saturn, i worked on my sisters a few years ago... never again!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:34 am

Ya, my wife just bought an '89 VW Cabriolet (Rabbit convertible). It's pretty cool and gets good mileage. She was tired of driving the family SUV around all the time. That makes the fleet total 6 now! One too many, my '72 Ford Econoline is for sale -> http://www.enbro.com/ford

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:14 pm