VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
savage
crazee
donivan65
Vanish
8 posters

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door !!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Vanish Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Well Don we Got a Radiator today !!!!!!!!!

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Cid__Img667F0320

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 pm

What a coincidence,,,,,,I have a van in my driveway that needs one.....
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by crazee Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 pm

donivan65 wrote:What a coincidence,,,,,,I have a van in my driveway that needs one.....

lol!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Like your pic Bill ,Makes it look like the Holy Grail Laughing How much more suff you have to do to get it on the road???
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Tom it Needs lot's of stuff but the radiator was a Big step for me .... I have been so Darn Broke lately that even getting the radiator back was a BIg DEAL..... The vans at Dons house and sitting there without a radiator ... and wont move.. so I feel good about getting it back.... it just makes it feel like it's moveing forward just a bit ....... Wink

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 pm

How many rows did you go with Vanish? I had em put three in mine. But somewhere recently I heard they can put in two rows that are wider than usual. So the core ends up just as thick as a three row but they say there's more surface area with the wide two. Anyone tried that yet?

I also put in a high capacity thermostat. It's just got less metal in the way, more open (when it is open). That's what the old engine had in it. I figure every little bit helps.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:19 am

I Got it recored to a 3 row ...... HE...... I got more fins per square inch.. But a 3 row ....

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:32 am

Rich This is the themostat you want to use !!!!!!

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! 910157031_L

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:40 pm

At the El Cajon Vanarama yesterday, I left my doors unlocked and look what I found when I got home,,,,,,,a brand new 3 core 1st Gen radiator,,,,,a trans cooler, a 4 way flasher set up and a 2010 registration sticker. Normally when I left my doors unlocked stuff used to Vanish,,,,,,,,,

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Nodoor16

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:07 pm

VANagain wrote:How many rows did you go with Vanish? I had em put three in mine. But somewhere recently I heard they can put in two rows that are wider than usual. So the core ends up just as thick as a three row but they say there's more surface area with the wide two. Anyone tried that yet?

I also put in a high capacity thermostat. It's just got less metal in the way, more open (when it is open). That's what the old engine had in it. I figure every little bit helps.
    A Griffin radiator with two cores cools the same as a five core. The reason being is a regular 3,4,5, core has 3/8" tubes while the Griffin 2 core has 1 1/4 inch tubes so there is more surface area to dissipate heat. I had one in my Vanishing Breed
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Griffin Radiators Are Nice !!!!!! I wish I could have one ..... The down side to all aluminum Radiators is .... When they Leak there Done....... Then Get you wallet Out again.........

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 am

donivan65 wrote:At the El Cajon Vanarama yesterday, I left my doors unlocked and look what I found when I got home,,,,,,,a brand new 3 core 1st Gen radiator,,,,,a trans cooler, a 4 way flasher set up and a 2010 registration sticker. Normally when I left my doors unlocked stuff used to Vanish,,,,,,,,,

He said stuff used to Vanish....stop it...you're killing me...heh. Everyone knows the van fairy left that stuff.....
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:15 am

donivan65, to me that looks more like an overflow tank than a transmission cooler. Polished stainless steel tank and billet cap. But the mounts aren't on the side as they are usually.

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Overflow_2_X15
    The Van Fairy must of known about all the good work youv'e done for your fellow vanners. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:53 am

Getting back to the real reason for these parts, I converted the Blue No Door from a 3 speed to a PowerGlide. And as Vanish gets more parts, I install them on his Van. And he found this Trans Cooler, so it is going on it as well as that new radiator. And them RADIATORS,,,,,I keep finding out more about them. Here are the 4 stock radiators that come in the 1st and 2nd Gens. So many variables,,,,,and they all mount differently. And what do I see,,,,,rows of tubes,sure,,,2,, 3 and 4,,,,BUT,,,,how many across the front,,,,,I see 33, 40 and 48. That surely makes a difference,,,,,Fins per inch,,,,,the new one has 14,,,,the other has 12. And look at the SportVan radiator,,,,1 inch wider than the panel because they bolt the radiator right to the doghouse without using a core support bracket. I am thinking THAT is the radiator of choice for a 1st Gen,,,,,,I need to check VanAgains, he got his recored and lets see what he ended up with. The more I find out, the more I find out I did not know,,,,I will never get ahead,,,,,,,

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Nodoor17

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! Cool_a11
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Don I've got another for ya. I've got two 2nd gen V8 radiators and their different thicknesses. One looks like it's two row and the other looks like possibly a four row. I'll post some pic's when I get back home week after next.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:59 pm

GOT ANOTHER VAN?????
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm

No I didn't get another one yet !!!! lol!

The one that looks like a two row came out of the van you cut the roof section out of and the thicker one came with the parts I got from Pat in St.Louis. I'm thinking about putting a V8 radiator setup in the 67 with the 292. Do you know if anyone has tried that yet?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:28 pm

You need the upper and lower core supports, the surge tank and the bypass hose coupler along with your crossflow radiator to change over the downflow 6 cylinder radiator to the crossflow 8 cylinder radiator on a 2nd Gen,,,,,,

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! 4_row115

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! 4_row116
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 pm

I've got all of that stuff. Just need to take the radiator to the shop and have it checked and cleaned. The radiator that came from the red van looks just like the one in the pic you just posted and on the one that came with the parts the core is as wide as the tanks.

crazee

Post by crazee Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:04 am

wideload wrote:No I didn't get another one yet !!!! lol!

The one that looks like a two row came out of the van you cut the roof section out of and the thicker one came with the parts I got from Pat in St.Louis. I'm thinking about putting a V8 radiator setup in the 67 with the 292. Do you know if anyone has tried that yet?

I have the factory V8 radiator hooked to the factory 250 inline in my 67 Chevy 90. ( yes the mounts are all factory installed & engine matches VIN, etc, etc Wink )

Love the surge tank and such.

And the van always runs nice and cool without electric fans or other mods.

I think you'd love this setup hooked to a 292.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks Crazee. I thought I had heard someone here mention that they had that setup but couldn't remember for sure. I think I'm going to try that on my 67. That will give me a chance to use the new fan shroud that I built to see if it fits properly.

Are you using the trans cooler in the radiator or an external?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:43 pm

That upper core mount is welded into the bump outs in the doghouse on factory set ups,,,,,they are bolted in on upgrades,,,,,if you got 3 1/8" tanks on your crossflow radiator, you got room for a 4 row core,,,,,,

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! 4_row_12
    crazee

Post by crazee Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:09 pm

wideload wrote:Thanks Crazee. I thought I had heard someone here mention that they had that setup but couldn't remember for sure. I think I'm going to try that on my 67. That will give me a chance to use the new fan shroud that I built to see if it fits properly.

Are you using the trans cooler in the radiator or an external?

I'm running a power glide and using the radiator to cool the tranny (as per stock).
    Smile

Last edited by crazee on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    crazee

Post by crazee Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 pm

donivan65 wrote:That upper core mount is welded into the bump outs in the doghouse on factory set ups,,,,,they are bolted in on upgrades,,,,,.........e,,,,,

Got The Radiator Recored ToDay For the No Door  !!!!!!!!!!!! 4_row_12

Yepo...........mines welded and stock.

They DID INDEED have the upgraded radiator "option" for 6 bangers in 67.

Sheeeeeet..in those days "ANYTHING WAS POSSIBLE" depending on who you knew and how fat your wallet was.

Mine is a 67 Chevy 90 no side door- no glass- 250 -6 banger/power glide with V8 radiator - 10 bolt rear - and = FACTORY stock ( numbers all agree).

Guess my original owner wanted a few "important options" and was concerned with economy.

A SMART FELLER!
    <wink>

I think I'll keep his original setup.................it seems to work very well.

Smile
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:35 am

crazee, Love the no doors, but find it funny one of the higher valued vans now started out as a van some cheap bastard wouldn't pay the $55 dollars for side doors

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:56 am