VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
BvrWally
donivan65
sasktrini
wdaguy
8 posters

tranny leaking through speedo cable??

wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Empty tranny leaking through speedo cable??

Post by wdaguy Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:39 am

Howdy,has anyone ever had tranny fluid leaking from their speedo cable. The outside of the cable, close to the trans TH350, is wet and leaving a puddle. have any good fixes?? Thanks I love you
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Empty Re: tranny leaking through speedo cable??

Post by sasktrini Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:58 am

not an expert... haven't done it before, but I think it needs a new o-ring. simple to do.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Empty Re: tranny leaking through speedo cable??

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Unscrew the cable off the transmission and check and see where the leak is coming from,,,,,if it is in the center of the housing, then some of them have a seal in there or the plastic gear shaft could be worn out. And the outer section of the housing has the o ring on it like sasktrini said.
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by wdaguy Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Hey Donivan , its 109 today in Tucson, when will you be visiting?
    Just kiddin, San Diego is the place to be...!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:51 pm

I don't live near the Beach and Ocean,,,,,So I know how you feel,,,,,Its over 100 out right now,,,,,,,120 in the Sun,,,,,,,but at least I can drive West and get away from it when I want,,,,,,,,

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Workin17
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Geeeeeeez!!!!!! lol
    B.W.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:11 pm

wow guess i shouldnt complain about 90 degrees down here in tampa
    ricecube384
    ricecube384

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2014-08-01

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Empty Speedo Cable Drip

Post by ricecube384 Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Love the search function. Resurrecting an old post here, but have a question about a drip from the speedo cable. If i unscrew the speedo cable from the trans to replace an o-ring, is tranny fluid gonna drain when disconnected? I have a small drip i'd like to fix, but wanna be prepared.

THANKS!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:12 pm

IF,,,,,,we are talking about a 3 speed,,,,,the cable is is in dry land,,,,,,,the housing has an O ring ON it,,,,,the gear has no seal,,,,,,some transmissions do have a small seal in the housing to stop the oil leaking past the gear,,,,,,,,but jack the rear wheel up,,,,,,and stick a rag in there to stop the leaking,,,,,I dont think there is much in a 3 speed,,,,,but be fast  with the rag with an automatic.....

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Dscn5225
    oldgoalie
    oldgoalie

Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2014-06-04

Post by oldgoalie Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Must of the older manual tranys don't have a seal for the gear just an "o"ring around the outside of the speedo gear bullet, like donivan65 said. There is a replacement for it that has a seal in it. They are about 10 bucks. I would think a trany shop in your area would have one. I think they are also still avalible from a GM dealer. Ask for a steal one that fits a T-350, they are the same size but have a seal for the gear.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:11 am

Here is the one that the TH350 uses,,,,,it is drilled out for a seal,,,,but if your leak is from the outside of the housing, then you need an O ring,,,,,if it is from the inside of the housing , then you need a new plastic gear,,,,,or get the TH350 set up,,,,,

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Dscn5229
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:48 pm

ricecube384
    ricecube384

Post by ricecube384 Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 am

Thank you much for the replies. Donivan - Yes its a manual 3 speed, but not sure on the trans. I know the engine was swapped for a 6 from a 66 malibu, but the previous owner never mentioned the trans so guessing its the original. I'm assuming/hoping patching this fluid leak will remedy the bouncing speedometer readings when i'm on the highway? Mechanically challenged over here, but this seems doable even for me. Thank You Gentlemen!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 am

The odds are the O ring on the housing is bad,,,,,,but the bouncing could be a dry cable,,,,,so you reach up behind the dash, unscrew the cable housing from the back of speedometer,,,pull it down,,,,,pull the long cable out of the inside of the housing,,,clean and wipe some oil on it,,,put it back together,,,,,OR,,,the plastic gear that the lower end of the cable goes into is worn out and the cable is slipping in there,,,,,,OR,,,,,the speedometer is worn out or needs some lubing,,,,,so step by step,,,see what you find,,,,,,you don't need to be a mechanic to fix your van,,,,,you just need to want to fix it and do each thing we tell you, one step at a time.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 am

These are the official transmissions for our vans,,,,,,,they HANG from the van floor,,,,,car transmissions sit on a crossmember UNDER them,,,,,you got something like this??

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Muncie11
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:32 am

Un-related to the discussion, but I have the lower type trans and cover plate in my '64, except the rear shift lever attaches like the one in the top picture with a keyhole and retaining bolt into the shaft, not a clamp style collar like the lower one. Its stamped GM and has the 4-bolt cover plate, what do you make of that? different models/makers? I guess I am lucky, the speedo cable does not leak and the needle is rock steady at all speeds!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 pm

The 64 has different levers,,,,,,but I think they would snap off when the engine and trans moved a little, so they went the other type,,,,which usually stripped out after time.....

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Nodoor18
    ricecube384
    ricecube384

Post by ricecube384 Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Definitely the trans on the top w/ 7 bolts. Thanks for the vote of confidence on fixing the van. Oddly enough my dad was a tank/diesel mechanic in the Army for 20+ years then did another 20+ as a civilian. Unfortunately the knack for turning wrenches didn't pass on to me.  Neutral 

[quote="donivan65"]These are the official transmissions for our vans,,,,,,,they HANG from the van floor,,,,,car transmissions sit on a crossmember UNDER them,,,,,you got something like this??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:55 pm

,,,,,you ain't missing much if you did not turn out to be a mechanic,,,,,hot, dirty work,,,,,,being blamed for every problem that comes after you fix one for someone,,,,,,,,,surely not the profession that people admire,,,,,,after they get their bill and they still have problems,,,,,,In my book, they rate right up there with Dentists and the DMV........but thats the good transmission,,,,,it has an oil seal and synchronized gears which the 64 and 65 did not have,,,,,,I put one in my 65.....we got lots of types of transmissions that fit into our vans,,,,,,,,

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Transf12
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 am

donivan65 wrote:The 64 has  different  levers,,,,,,but I think they would snap off when the engine and trans moved a little, so they went the other type,,,,which usually stripped out after time.....

Yeah, when I got the van it kept popping out of 1st and the PO said oh its been that way for a while, just hold the gearshift until you need to shift to 2nd! Turns out, the lever retaining bolt was loose and bent with a chewed up soft steel washer so it was on at an angle and flopping around. The keyway was a little boogered too but once my mechanic put a grade 8 bolt and washer on, its been fine ever since and no more popping out of gear.

tranny leaking through  speedo  cable?? Nodoor18
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 am

,,,,just for the record,,,,,,,,I am a retired auto mechanic,,,,,,,,,,I have never let one touch my van in all the years I have owned it.......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:19 am