VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

leaf spring bushings

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Empty Re: leaf spring bushings

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:47 pm

Those shackle bolts sure look like our 7/16" bolts with the 9/16" sleeve built on it that we use the HB 930 bushings on,,,,whats the plan for the cartridges,,,,,,you going to do them or have a shop do it?
    redvango
    redvango

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2015-06-27

leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Empty leaf bushing

Post by redvango Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:35 pm

Yea doni: I must have misunderstood the sleeve term? The sleeve being a separate part that the bolt went though? I would think those wood be some kind of grade carriage bolt? the one's at a hardware store wouldn't have the smaller thread pattern? I bought grade 8 bolts with nylon lock bolts for energy bushing sleeves! As for making all the bushings to fit My buddy has a auto repair shop that he has a separate building for just hot rods and show car's to work on an the main shop for regular repairs! He said i'm more the welcome to come and use his lathe machine to turn the front bushing down to size as long as i clean up after! Their 1-3/4 OD to what you mic said 1.61 and cut a 1/4" off and that's the susenion.co part# 9.948 and cut down the shackle bushing to the right width
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm

Looking at the nut, you would think its just a 7/16" bolt, but you need something between the side plates for the nut to tighten against, a sleeve or spacer,and that determines the ID of a bushing, a metal cartridge has all that built into it,,,,but it has to be an EXACT fit, rubber or nylon bushings expand a little so they are easy to install,,,,,,,how about the other springs,  unless you put the van on blocks or a rotisserie, I just put my jack on top of the spring, take the bolt out and jack the spring down a little and see what the condition the cartridge is in and decide what to do.  

leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Dscn0320
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:35 pm

Ok: Here's what I see !? The shackle bolt is a 1/2 "round sleeve as you see by my pic! not 9/16" With the threads are 7/16"? so when the shackle's are put together the hole is only big enough for the thread's to go though and the sleeve can't so that make's the width by tape (not exact)2"3/8 wide the square part of the bolt fits flush on the inside of the shackle when you tighten their self locking nut GM made the width is preset by GM Factory! The urethane part energy 4.2126 has a sleeve made for a 1/2 bolt!! So cut the urethane sleeve a1/16 under and the bushing an 1/16 over 2"7/16? Done! now that's the shackle's! When i go take the front cartridge at at my friends shop and turn the new bushing down as much needed  I'll let you all know how that came out!? I've got the van on 5 ton adjustable blocks all the way around but I'm going to do the front springs all done first because the back will be harder i have the duel exhaust i have to deal with to get the springs off *^$#%&$# So to be safe get the front done first!! I took the steering arm off and drop the axle just down enough and made a wood u shape cradle the axle to sit on to get the spring's out! to me to put a jack to lower the spring to see how bad the bushing is your lucky nothing shifted or you could have a bad day!! remember don't play with loaded springs or gun's And Doni your right it can't be to lose or to tight it has to be just as if GM made it SPOT ON!!!! JOHN (REDVANGO)leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Resize23
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:00 am

leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Resize33
    leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Resize34
    leaf spring bushings - Page 2 Resize32
    This is the Prothane #19-610 bushing for the front of the leaf springs I turned down to size on a lathe machine and to cut all the sleeve to the 2.5 " as needed ! I turned the bushings from 1-3/4 down 1.6 OD and cut to 1.25 length! the super grease that comes with the shackle kit you have to put on all moving parts when put every thing back together or you may get squeaking!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:53 am