VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Seth G
vanny
Barnabas
Tony the Tiger
8 posters

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread

Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2021-02-09

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Empty Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread

Post by Tony the Tiger Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 am

I figured it would be a little more appropriate to start a new thread instead of continuing on in my introduction.  As promised!  Here are a few photos of the van the day I picked it up.  More to come.

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Tony_013

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Tony_011

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Tony_012

Tony is aptly named after the included silk tiger.  I was told by the previous owner at the time of purchase that if I didn't want the tiger, he would take it back.

Last edited by Tony the Tiger on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Resized photos)

vanny likes this post

Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Empty Re: Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread

Post by Barnabas Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 am

Nice. Looking forward to more pics.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Empty Re: Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread

Post by vanny Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:21 am

I think the picture is Grrrrrrreat!!! Could serve as a theme for your project and it seems like it already may have! Enjoy the process!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:58 am

You van is my vans twin Smile

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread PMIq8T
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

I decided to play it safe after getting the van to the shop and pulled the front drums to check the brakes.  Both cylinders were leaking and as you can tell from the picture, the shoes were a little worse for wear.  Ended up doing all four cylinders, shoes and new front rubber lines.  Since I had the drums off anyway, I went ahead and did the front bearings.

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Van_sh10
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:09 am

Great start...safety first!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

savage likes this post

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2014-04-22

Post by chrlsful Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:12 am

6dor? i6 200? tiger painted on panel?
    auto, 3onT?
    "Bring it Back" to DD (soon)!
    nice pic
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:46 pm

Whew!  It's been far too long, things got just a little busy and poor Tony has been a little on the neglected side.  I have also clearly been neglecting this forum!

I do have an update.  Tony got himself some new shoes:

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread New_wh10

Found a set of American Racings with old tires on Craigslist, the price was reasonable so a trip on the backroads in Tony with a lug wrench, floor jack and stands took place to verify the wheels would fit.  That trip was quite the adventure.  The seller was up in the hills and Tony did NOT like the elevation change.  We ended up getting lost, going up a STEEP hill/driveway that Tony was just barely able to climb to the top of and promptly died.  Spent a good 10 minutes trying to get the poor engine to start.  The guy who lived at the top of the hill came out to figure out what the commotion was about, loved the van and helped me find my way.  Tony limped into the seller's driveway and a deal was made.

On the drive there I could hear the original tires squealing as I went around turns, something in the front end is clearly out of alignment.  Got back to our shop, started swapping out the wheels with the new ones to find this:

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Fried_10

I doubt that tire would have lasted for another couple miles so we were VERY lucky. We would have swapped out the old tires and wheels with the ones purchased but the seller we met with was a bit of a character. We felt it would be prudent to throw all the wheels in the back and get the heck out of dodge.

More to follow, I've got a bit more time on my hands now so Tony is going to get some love.

Seth G likes this post

vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Congrats! Those wheels look Great!!! Very Happy

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:38 pm

Tony, you should post your pics in the 640-pw width.
    That way you get to see your Whole van. (With New Wheels)
    Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread New_wh10

savage likes this post

Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:02 am

Ahhh! I'll do that for my next post with pictures. I kept wondering why they got cut off.
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am

After the last adventure to grab wheels.  I figured it was time to give ol' Tony a bit of a tune up.  After reading the excellent write up here about installing electronic ignition, I decided that would be the best route.  Ordered a new coil, cap, full set of wires and plugs to go along with the Pertronix electronic ignition kit.

I think it was good I put in new spark plugs.

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Spark_10

Electronic ignition installation went well, I took my time routing the original wiring to all the new wiring associated with the relay.

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Distri10

Overall very happy with the result, engine definitely runs smoother and feels like it has a tiny more pep.  Family has had so many issues lately on other points-based cars with modern condensers that I figured if I was doing a tune up anyway, I'd eliminate that from the equation.

vanny likes this post

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm

kinda like the full DSII (or hybrid w/gm 4 pin if no blue strain ford bx available) if having an after '64 block (dizzy hole) w/non LOM/SCV carb. Wish I knew U 'were thinkin' ign changes.

Like the 'Tony patch'. Established same yr as me? '52?
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 am

chrlsful wrote:kinda like the full DSII (or hybrid w/gm 4 pin if no blue strain ford bx available) if having an after '64 block (dizzy hole) w/non LOM/SCV carb. Wish I knew U 'were thinkin' ign changes.

Like the 'Tony patch'. Established same yr as me? '52?

I have to admit, the Tony patch is not mine, just did an Internet search for an interesting looking Tony the Tiger picture for my avatar.  Figured I'd go for something a bit more period.  A little bit before my time too!

As previously posted, Tony is in dire need of an alignment, I figured before I spent the money on new rubber, it would be prudent to take it in to get aligned so I'm not burning through a brand new set of tires.  On top of that, the van is very, very unhappy driving down the road at speed.  It's a handful just keeping going straight down the road and any sort of bump or road change makes steering straight quite the adventure.

Off to the local alignment shop.  The owner said he'd have to hold onto Tony for a day or so since older vehicles take more time than something with modern suspension.  A few hours later I got a call, "come pick up your van, I can't align it, it needs work."  Got to the shop and I was presented with a list of things wrong:

•Excessive play in drag link, suggest replace
        •Tie rod bent, replace
        •Shocks worn, replace
        •Leaf spring bushings excessive play, replace

None of these came as a huge surprise.  Not of all of them will impact a correct alignment either, but I was happy that he was thorough in his diagnosis.  At a minimum I plan to address the drag link, tie rod, ends and shocks prior to taking Tony back in for a proper alignment.  Looks like I've got some parts to order.
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:06 am

not familiar w/the I beam frnt end, mine's the '77 in the sig below. Hopefully those more in the know will chip in.
    Many do an alignment after an upfrnt safety check (berings, t,rods, drag link, etc) & that seems to B the shop's recommendations. The alignment would come AFTER these checks, maintainence measures - as the alignment would hafta B done again anyway. (Ol rigs - ya get into 1 thing & find ya hafta go backwards to come forward anyway). An alignment is the cherry on top; just like a dizzy recerve is w/ign tune.

TtheT (asa logo) was born the same yr as me.
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:59 am

Boy the shop wasn't kidding!  Tony now has a new drag link, tie rod and ends and front shocks.  I was getting tired so I still need to do the rears.  Check out the old and new tie rod!

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Tie_ro10

As far as I can tell, someone chucked a tow strap around the tie rod and the axel and put one heck of a bend in the rod.  It obviously was never going to be properly aligned with that in there.

Another thing the owner told me was that the king pins were worn.  At first I wasn't planning to replace them as I'd need to pull the whole axle out.  Now the more I think about it, I might as well just do it and then not have to worry about it.  That project starts this weekend, wish me luck!

If anyone has any great suggestions as to where I should put the jack stands, not on the axle, I'm all ears. I'm not sure what's rated to bear the weight of the van and what isn't aside from the front axle.

Last edited by Tony the Tiger on Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a question)
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:01 pm

Tony, can I ask where you got the replacement drag link?
    I had mine shipped from Cali and the shipping company had attached the tie down to the drag link and it looks just like your old one… ha ha ha!

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:47 pm

dont know these rigs but frame is one, wheels nother.
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:24 am

Hey vanny,

As far as I can tell Rare Parts is the only company that make replacement drag links for our early Econolines and they only make them in runs. I called them and they are planning to make another batch in a few months but not let me make a pre order. I got lucky and found a local shop that had one left. O'Reily surprisingly shows it in their computer but was out of stock so they may be a good place to keep calling to check on availability.

The part number is Rare Parts #25781

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing. My picture is of the tie rod, not the drag link that goes from the steering box/pitman arm to the knuckle. The tie rod was very easy to source and came with new rod ends.

vanny likes this post

Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:39 am

Tony the 1964 Econoline Build Thread Fronta10

We have liftoff!

Pulling the front axel wasn't too horrible.  Four jack stands under there but I still did not feel very comfortable being underneath while unbolting things.  I feel kind of silly considering I had to detach all the pieces I just replaced the weekend before.  I took the opportunity to hit the axle and knuckles with a bunch of degreaser.  Figured I'd try and be nice to the guy at the machine shop who's going to be pressing out the king pin retainers and reaming the axel for the new parts.

Now that I have everything out, I'm looking at four whole bolts that will drop the springs out from the body.  Since I've got the entire front out out anyway and I planned to have the springs rebowed, I might as well just do it now and put the whole thing back together all at once.  I should be able to get those out an evening this week.

savage likes this post

vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:10 am

Good work and good idea getting it all done at once…do it once and do it right!

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:53 am

re-bowed is a new 1 on me. The tensile strength has gone out (read: sag now due 2 age). Is this the correct treatment (will they bring up temp, quench properly?). I'd go that route (expensive?) only if new unavailable.

"...The tie rod was very easy to source and came with new rod ends...."
    to me all U need is the 'ends'.

If U want... a dialogue here 1st might save time, money B4 decisions are made? Real & good experience on board here.

How do U have the vehicle suspended? If U have concern - that is wise. Good technique (solid suggestions here) could temper that worry & effect greater certainty in your wrenching~

Let me no if being to patronizing.
    Tony the Tiger
    Tony the Tiger

Post by Tony the Tiger Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:59 pm

chrisful, you are correct.  The leaf springs will effectively be refurbished.  Completely taken apart, reshaped where necessary, new busing installed, retainers and all that good stuff.  As far as I can tell there are no new replacement springs available for the van.  I'm stuck with sagging springs with blown out bushings or pay the local spring shop to work their magic.

The tie rod definitely needed to be replaced.  It should be straight as an arrow and the old one had one heck of a bend in it.  If you looked at the wheels straight on with the drivers side wheels pointed straight, the passenger side wheel was a good 5-10 degrees pointing outwards.

Van has four jack stands underneath it, two on each side.  I stuck a long 2x4 on each of the rails/frame of the body to help distribute the weight of van on those two jack stands.  Two more are under cross member pieces that go out to the edge of the body as safeties in case the two ones bearing the load were to fail.  I also had a floor jack positioned under the oil pan while i was under there in case everything somehow failed at once.  I figured it was better the oil pan than me getting squished.  On top of that I did have someone there with me while I was working just in case.

Patronize away!  Always good to have that sanity check, I may miss something or be doing something wrong, this is my first Econoline after all.
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:32 am

"...Patronize away..."
    OK, sorry. 1st off I was worried U were safe, then thought "he's a grown man, whaddaya doin!" If U wish to go full tilt on those springs ask around bout use of teflon slip plates. Small insertions between the leaves some go with as the cherry on top (like a re-curve to a dizzy).

Getting a straight T-rod is nother prerequisite like frnt end geometry - to alignments. But sounds like U got boots on the ground for some guidance. I had none and waisted alota time'n money (usually ya got 1 or the other but my choices create neither) reinventin da wheel. Soon you'll have a safer ride that's smoother, easier to keep on the rd and extended life for ur tires ! Altho a NorEasterner I lived in Modesto'n S. (Newman/Gustine) several yrs and envy ur weather for drivin, campin'n explorin. You'll B out there soon!
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:45 pm

Have you tried Eaton Detroit Spring co. for new springs?

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

savage likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 am