VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

smoke out of breather cap on I6

smoke out of breather cap on I6 Empty smoke out of breather cap on I6

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi guys,
    I just acquired a 65 Chevy panel and am trying to figure out some smoke issues. Have the I6 (230 or 250) and it has a PCV valve on one end (rear) and an open breather cap on the front. Well, the PCV cannot keep up with the crankcase pressure and smoke billows out of the breather and of course come in the cab. The PCV valve is connected to hose that leads to the cast intake at the bottom of the carb, but has a real hard 90 degree angle and is of a smaller size. Looks like a 3/8 to a 1/4 90 degree then back to 3/8. Would that be enought to "back up" the system with smoke, or do our motors have a closed system, and I'm missing some parts?? Or do I need to make some (a closed system) like the thread on PCV valves on this section???? Or do I have too much smoke and may be a bigger problem that just this issue????
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    MS
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

smoke out of breather cap on I6 Empty Re: smoke out of breather cap on I6

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 pm

If you feel pressure coming out of the oil filler cap when the engine is running,,,,,then the rings are worn and the compression is escaping past them and into the crankcase,,,,,,so the engine is worn out,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:38 pm

I was hoping not, but yeah, I put my hand over the filler hole and then let off and it is a STRONG smoke filled bellow of smoke and pressure!!! Looks like that motor may be coming out soon for a rebuild Sad
    Will do a compression test to definitly get a direction. What is acceptable compression on the inliine 6's??
    Thanks for the reply!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 pm

100 to 120 psi is a normal reading,,,,,more important is that they all be equal,,,,,,that engine is burning oil,,,,and that is a foul smell to have in the cab,,,,,,,,if you want to try and make it a little better,,,,,try something like Engine Restore at the Auto Parts store,,,,,,or anything to stop oil burning,,,,,,,you can't make it any worst,,,,if the engine has been sitting for a long time,,,,,the rings could be stuck,,,,,,try some Marvel Mystery Oil,,,,,but you really need to get that engine rebuilt to be happy,,,,,

smoke out of breather cap on I6 Empty New owner of 66 6 door chev 4 window

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Hello everyone,
    I just bought this van in Spokane WA. and will be restoring it. I love all the cool pics that you guys have shown and will load some soon. The van is a 1966 chevy 6 door cargo I believe because of the seat configuration and bumpers, also the windows are not pop opens. I will be re building the 230 and was wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the engine I would appreciate it. These vans are the best Ive always owned Japanese vans but they are so hard to work on and expensive not to mention no where near as cool. Its fun to have a place to share this project! Thanks
    Big Noer Seattle WA[url=http://www.nwlink.com/~phoenix/VAN/r-rear-side.jpg]
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm

If you got side doors, they will come out through there,,,,,but if you pull the pin out of the passenger door, it will open 180 degrees to let the engine come out that way,,,,,or drop it on the floor and pick the van up to get it out of there,,,,,,,

smoke out of breather cap on I6 Nodoor46

smoke out of breather cap on I6 Nodoor47

smoke out of breather cap on I6 Storag10
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Or if you have a good friend with a giant lift! Bill
    smoke out of breather cap on I6 Picture2-7-07013
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 am

WHAT EVER YOU DO.........DONT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT!!! has anybody heard from him?.......maybe he had been driving it......

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:30 am

HI guys,
    Reporting back to you. The motor detonated!!! Was driving about 50 mph and heard a big BANG, and fluids everywhere in the doghouse and a huge plume of smoke out the back... People behind me were pretty suprised!!!!! Motor is toast!! Found another 250 for $100 with 67k original miles on it, so gonna try that. Just dropped the new motor in the other day, and am just finishing up connections and fluids..... I knew it was on it's last leg, but tried to limp it as long as I could... Got another 500 miles out of her before she blew!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Crap, really? ugh! So if this is a sign of worn piston rings, I'm guessing the pistons developed some wobble until it finally chunked and blew (or otherwise blew chunks). So my Ford 240 I6 is in trouble, at risk of the same fate?

Sorry about your luck malibusurfer... thanks for the update.

Last edited by sasktrini on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ford question in Chevy thread, I know! LOL)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Could of just overheated or blown a head gasket, or a rod bearing let go and threw a rod,,,,it would be interesting to know if the engine is froze up or has no compression if you still can find out,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Yeah, I got the old motor out laying in the shop, and am going to break into it and see what the culprit was... At the very least, take the head off and see if anything looks WAY bad!!! If anything is salvagable I'll keep it for a rebuild, etc...
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 am

I'm curious to as to what blew , ,I had a 230 in my 65 GMC in HS that had a habit of busting pistons just above the wrist pins after over revving it, but being 16 I had a habit of over revving it to Laughing

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Well, found the culprit on the 250. In cylinder #2 there was a chunk on piston missing and letting oil past, hence the smoke. It was over heating too I think to a cobination of crusty radiator, not so good H2O pump and lack of belly pan.... I think one of those or all of them contributed too the meltdown. Head is still good, so I can salvage that and possibly rebuild the motor. Thanks for the interest guys....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:48 pm