I was a little surprised because I had the trickle charger on it.
So I grabbed another new hot battery I had in another car and proceeded to install it. Positive cable on. All good.
Went to install the negative cable and knew right quick something was bad wrong. Sparks and smoke were flying like I was welding my negative cable to the battery, Woah, serious smoking and sparking, scary.
A quick inspection under the hood looked ok. Under the dash, key switch, wiring harness...looks ok. Tried the negative cable again. Same sparks, smoke and scary noises!
So I unhooked the positive cable off the solenoid. Neg cable on. All good. Start inspecting wires off the solenoid.. here we go. The wire off the one wire alternator that I installed through the mounting bracket with the heater hoses, in order to keep it off the exhaust and away from the carb linkage had either overheated from current or vibrated the insulation off of it and was touching bare ground.
NO WONDER THE BATTERY WAS DEAD!!!
The wire was protected in other areas by a black flexible loom and it had melted through parts of it.
Looking back its probably not automotive wire? Not sure. And Ive probably only ran maybe 6-8 tanks of gas through it since I got the paint on it. At this point Im just very happy that it didn't catch fire and burn the van and the garage down.
Im replacing the wire, charging the battery and hoping it didn't fry the alternator too.
Im open for suggestions on the exact type and size wire to use if anybody knows for sure. I think this wire is a #10 guage.
Apparently Im a lucky man.
This is the part that was rubbing on the heater hose bracket right next to the passenger seat.