VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Question for Don

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Question for Don Empty Question for Don

Post by Digz Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I am trying to figure out if this column I got from a 2nd Gen is a 2 speed or 3 speed set up. I have this pic of the selector detent from the bottom of the column.
    Question for Don Autoshifter
    I have both auto trannys available, just need to know which one to use.
    Thanks, Joe
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Question for Don Empty Re: Question for Don

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 pm

I guess its a 2 speed,,,,,but at the worst it would keep you from manually downshifting into 1st,,,,,and you could probably live with that,,,,,,you could file the notch a little big bigger if you had to,,,,,,this picture is a 1st Gen PowerGlide shift lever lockout

Question for Don Pgprnd10
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Thank you.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

That explains why I can't shift into low in my 64! I have a TH350 with a PG shifter.

Thanks Donivan, glad you were able to help Digz on this.

Later,
    Rip
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:37 pm

At least you aint got it hooked up to a 3 speed column where you don't know what gear you are in and you are not able to enjoy the thrill of shifting into reverse going down the road,,,,,,or Park,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 pm

That scenario is exactly what Im trying to prevent, its hooked up like that now and with the missus going to be the main pilot ,Its gotta be way more bullet proof.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Man those are informative pictures. I just hooked my auto up to a 3 speed STD colum.
    I have access to a 2nd gen that has an out shifter. Will those parts fit onto my 1st gen colum and box?

Thanks guys

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 pm

There seems to be some complications on adding the 2nd Gen auto trans detent and lever to a 1st Gen. The 2nd Gen has the shift lever shaft built onto the lever assembly. On a 1st Gen the shaft is separate, connected to the lever assembly with a clamp. I don't really know if the 2nd Gen shift lever and shaft will mate with the 1st Gen column,,,,,maybe you will need the whole column . But this 1st Gen PowerGlide set up seems to be the best deal out there for a 1st Gen auto trans conversion right now.

Question for Don Pgleve10
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks Don:

I would dought there is a first gen auto shifter assembly for sale so I will dream up a way to make mine like th auto detant.

What about the nutral safty switch? I have the 700R4 which the safty switch was on the 1988 colum. Do you have any ideas or pictures of something I could build up?

Thanks
    M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:00 am

Well the real PowerGlide safety neutral switch is attached to the bellhousing bolt and is connected to the shift lever on the trans with a rod. So that is the basic set up. I guess you just have the housing of the steering column. But without the tab on the shift tube, the switch won't work. So mount the switch and weld a tab on your steering shaft? How about mounting a starter type push button in such a fashion that when the trans is in Park it compresses the button which allows the circuit to close and the starter to energize. But if you are in any other gear, the button is out and the circuit is open. You would not be able to start it in neutral or any other gear but you surely would have to be in Park to energize the starter. Or other mechanically activated switches could do the same thing. But there you go,,,,,VERY BASIC ideas,,,,,to build on........
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:34 am

Im glad M1 brought that up, I hadnt thought of that yet, scratch There are some switches available that I have used on re-fitting back-up alarms on older equipment that would be fairly weather resistant if mounted underneath, those used either a rollerball kind of detent or a spring type lever arm, which was more forgiving on adjustment, usually a small slip sinker type of actuator is put on a shifter rod with a set screw to allow for adjustment. Inside the cab Im thinking a number of different brake light switches might work. Just food for thought over a cup of coffee.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 am

M1, I used a 2nd gen colum(3 speed standard) on my 64 ND . I just used the out side & the 1st gen box(&shaft) & mount(Drop??) the ++ is you get 4 way flashers & the turn sig switch is alot cheeper & easer to find.The - is the 1st gen SW hub is to small, so you use a 2nd gen SW . or a newer Chevy SW.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:32 am

Don: how long is that auto shift lever. center to center from the shaft to the shift rod hole?

My first atempt at using the 3 speed shifter was useless because the 3 speed shift lever at that bottom piece was too long and I ended up with Park to low 1 all happening in about 4" of handle movement which was imposible to control.

I think I can make a detant plate up and modify the 3 speed unit to be like the auto unit, and incorperate a switch at the same time and place.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:32 am

Now thats something we need,,,,,,,Safety neutral switch and lock out detents for the auto trans,,,,,you don't want to start up the van in gear on fast idle it will ruin your day.....But I will try and find a 2nd Gen set up so we can compare pieces and see what looks adaptable,,,,,,Digz might have the set up......here is a 1st Gen 3 speed assembly,,,,,,

Question for Don Shift_10

Question for Don Shift_11

Question for Don Shift_12
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks for the pictures Don. I think I can modify that 3 spd cluster into an auto cluster quite easily.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Go for it,,,,,,,,,we need something,,,,,but don't be cutting a hole in the top of your doghouse cover and mounting a shifter in there,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:12 am

No I wont be doing that, I will build up an auto shift gate out of the 3 spd one I have.

This is what I have now

Question for Don Dscn1910

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Here is a picture of a 1964 that has been converted over to a PowerGlide from a 3 speed. I would say the cross shaft bellcrank is the compensator for the difference in the manual and automatic trans lever travel.

Question for Don Tree_210

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 am