VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Gauge AMPs verses Volts

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Gauge AMPs verses Volts Empty Gauge AMPs verses Volts

Post by Scott Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:26 am

I hear a lot of people say that measuring Volts is preferred over measuring AMPs.

Why?

I get that if you AMP Gauge is reading a + Number then it's charging, and of course, if it's below you need to get more juice in the system or find a leak.

But what would I see in a Volt Gauge? It will normally run at a certain gauge number, and would be lower than normal when the system is short on Volts? How would you tell if it's draining your battery, would it read zero?

I know with an AMP Gauge all power for the Van will flow through it, so a lot of juice and potential problems. So I understand why some might want to use something else.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Gauge AMPs verses Volts Empty Re: Gauge AMPs verses Volts

Post by Seth G Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:34 am

I think the reasoning is that many old amp gauges did not use a shunt and instead ran full charging/discharging voltage/amperage through the gauge. It's a safety issue.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:44 am

seth ic correct with our dodge's from the 60's but don't know about the ford or gm,,,

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:37 pm

I don't think an AMP gauge is "bad" by design. It shows what you wrote - Batterie charging or discharging by approx. what amperage. That's good - but.
    It doesn't really help, if connections, splices and such are bad.

Volt shows the current voltage at that special point where it is measured. Voltage shows you charging/discharging as well (being below "normal battery" (approx. 12.6V, depending on battery status) is discharging, above being charging).

I personally like the fluctuating amp gauge in my classics. Nonetheless, I carry a (more or less hidden) voltage gauge on all of them. Charging with 40 amps for over an hour -twice on a single day- worked flawlessly with a 50 year old ammeter (70Ah battery was completely depleted) - because I meticulously take care of proper cables (gauge!) and clean connections. That's important. Very important.

Both in conjunction and knowledge about interpreting their readings is helpful on the road, to early address problems in the electric system, as they can mount to total losses easily.

Dodge A-Trucks/Vans are just a little easier on this topic, as the do not have the problematic bulk head connector of the usual trucks and passenger cars. That's a single point of failure, if not taken care of proper connection and no corrosion. I don't know about G/E-Vans, though.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:24 pm