VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Fire Starter or Needed? Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Fire Starter or Needed?  Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?  Empty Fire Starter or Needed? Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?

Post by Scott Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:26 pm

I’m about to start rewiring the doghouse and need advice on what alternator to use.

The van is being converted to an electric fan and I’m using the harness found at this site. http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/MarkVIII.html Since I will be adding A/C at a later date they said I could purchase the wire kit that includes the A/C option, that I can just wire around it until its needed. They also suggested I just use the 94 Cougar fan since it’s nearly the same as the Mark VIII fan, but only cost about $70 at http://rockauto.com/.

The fan draws so much power they recommend a minimum of a 105 AMP Alternator. But, since I am adding A/C later, and would like to support other electrical accessories, they recommended a 140 AMP Alternator.

To help with picking an Alternator I have been reading over this site. http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

Given everything I just explained, do y’all think 140 is to much or about right? I want a three-wire setup, but looking for so many amps puts me into something newer. Am I wrong about that, are they still three-wire setups what a newer plug? These High AMP units expect to be plugged into a computer, but is it needed? I’m going to keep trying to put this together with a high amp, but I would like to know from some of you if I’ve gone off the deep end.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 740
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Fire Starter or Needed?  Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?  Empty Re: Fire Starter or Needed? Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?

Post by kiwimopar Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm

I am running a 100 Amp one-wire unit myself. It only draws what is required, and so far I pull about 30 Amps tops to charge up after starting, or when lights run. Remember your battery will do some of the work.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Fire Starter or Needed?  Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?  Empty Re: Fire Starter or Needed? Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Running a "250 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR" with a dual battery setup.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Fire Starter or Needed?  Which Alternator do I use, and how many AMPS?  Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Scott I used the same fan and the same wiring kit in my van. Its a good choice.
    The Toarus fan is what I have. It is a 17" blade that almost fits my rad complete. The Mark VIII fan would have been a better choice because it is an 18" blade and the shroud would have fit my rad 100%.
    You can find pictures of my install in the "cool down that engine" post in the "This is how its done" link here.
    I have the 105 amp alternator, yes I think you should go newer on the alt because they are smaller but have more output. I don't have any extrorbinary electrical load, I have no problems with my system.
    They say you need a 100 amp alt because that fan can draw 100 amp spike if it starts from off to high, That would stumble an engine with a smaller alternator.
    BUT the vertue of that wiring relay system from those people is it can be set up so the fan never starts from off directly to high but steps through low on its way up to high and back down from high. Thats what mine does and it is hard to see any effect on the charging system.
    I also have to tell you, that fan is so effietient mine has not yet needed to go to high speed.

I think the 140 amp alternator is a bit much, the newer versions come in all sorts of ratings. I think a 110 or 115 will be lots for what your planning.
    M1D
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm

130 amp out of a 97 cougar running a taurus electric fan and a stereo amp,ac will come some day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 pm