VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Model year title discrepancy

arracado
    arracado

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2018-08-14

Model year title discrepancy Empty Model year title discrepancy

Post by arracado Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Hey everyone, when I bought my van the owner told me it was a 1964 but the title shows 1965. Indeed, not only is mine a 1964, but it's within the first 1300 made. The DMV is making me jump through hoops to decide if they'll change the title to indicate 1964 as the model year, but before I go through all of that, is it necessary/worth it? I don't know if there's any added value to having such a low number, and if there is, if that's tainted somehow by the year being incorrect on the title. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Model year title discrepancy Empty Re: Model year title discrepancy

Post by OutofSight Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 pm

If it were me, I would spend the effort to correct the title. I don’t think it would effect the value either way.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:51 pm

I agree with OutOfSite, better off getting it right now. Otherwise, if you go to sell later, you’re still going to have to go through it then. Will be much easier to sell with a correct title...Just my opinion for whatever that’s worth.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 am

My 2¢: leave it the way it is, as it worked the last 50+ years and nobody cared (never change a running system). IMHO it makes no difference and, I'd honestly doubt anyone would care later on. I'd think that it's only some Moparisti (like us here) knowing about the stuff with serial-no decoding of the VIN. ;-)

On the other hand: would be nice to know how that situation came about.
    arracado
    arracado

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2018-08-14

Post by arracado Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 pm

So in speaking with the DMV it traces back to the original sale of the vehicle, which occurred in 1965. Which is why I would have to jump through hoops in order to get it changed to 1964...it's always been registered as a 1965. It's probably easiest to just keep it the way it is and explain the situation to a future buyer.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm

i bought a dump truck that was built in 74 but sold in 75 and titled in 75, the hole thing comes down to some one wrote 65 instead of 64 and made more money that way , i would not worry about it if the title is clean ,i'd leave it alone

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Maybe one of the reasons car salesmen helped to create their bad reputation...in any case, since you know the reason and the DMV isn’t saying that it must be changed, I know that wouldn’t stop me from buying a vehicle I had interest in! I was thinking the DMV was requiring you to change it. If not, let it be, let it be...there will be an answer, let it be! What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 pm