VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Caster angle from year to year ??

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Caster angle from year to year ?? Empty Caster angle from year to year ??

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 am

I was just wondering if the caster angle is the same from year to year? or if it was changed in later years. Does anyone have this information year by year ? I know that since my pickup is nose down, that would decrease the caster angle some.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Caster angle from year to year ?? Empty Re: Caster angle from year to year ??

Post by rustytoolss Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Well after searching the web here's what I found..if anyones interested. From 1964 to 1966 the caster angle was 2 degrees +/- 1/2. Then from 1967 to 1970 the caster was changed to 6 degrees +/- 1/2.
    I'm sure that the only thing that was really changed was that Chrysler install a 4 degree shim between the axle and leaf spring , to get the new angle. (but I don't know that for sure)The Camber angle from 1964 to 1970 stayed at +1 1/2 degrees.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:42 am

From what source did you get this Intel from? Thanx
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:18 am

There was some web site that had alignment specs for vintage cars and trucks. They were a vintage front end shop. Did not save the site info. Sorry

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:26 pm

I was curious so I dug out my FSM and looked up specs, this isn't a year specific manual so I'm sure this covers all years of  A-100's.
    With the 2200 or the 2500lb. axle the Caster for all is 5 1/2*-6 1/2* with "curb load", whatever that means? The * note says- with shim, doesn't give any more than that.
    King Pin Inclination for all axles is 4*.
    For those that care, the Camber for all is 1 1/2*.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Yeah, the FSM that I have shows 1 1/2 degrees +/- 1/2 degrees. I like the idea of more caster (in the 6 degree range) better control at highway speeds.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:42 am

That's interesting that yours says one thing and mine says another.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:45 pm

I finally got the 4 degree shims installed to increase my caster angle . WOW what an improvement. Now my pickup goes down the road at 70mph and will stay in my lane with ease. I still need to install king pins. But things are getting much better cheers

Post by Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 am

Hey Rusty- where'd you find shims, are they some type of generic shims or stock? Thanx
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:24 am

69A100 wrote:Hey Rusty- where'd you find shims, are they some type of generic shims or stock? Thanx

Summit Racing had them. Summit's part number as follows  DJM-ACC-2PSK  for 2 degree/ DJM-ACC-4PSK for 4degree/ DJM-ACC-6PSK for 6 degree.  The kits come with  two wedge shims, two 3/8" leaf spring center bolts and lock nuts, & two bolt spacers (needed for the extra thickness when adding the shims  The price for the kit was $17.97......MY 64 pickup had 5/16" leaf spring center bolts!!! But Napa had the 5/16" spring bolts in stock. Napa's part number for the bolts is CB-3, the price for the bolts W/nuts is $1.67ea.  Hope this helps. My truck drives So much better.
    PS.. the thick part of the shim goes toward the rear of the vehicle & the thin part of the shim goes toward the front bumper.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:10 pm

After a year now I finally got some shims. Rusty - Did you have to get longer spring U bolts, and if so how much longer? Thanks
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 am

I may have to look into that myself.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:48 pm

69A100 wrote:After a year now I finally got some shims. Rusty - Did you have to get longer spring U bolts, and if so how much longer? Thanks
    I did not need longer U bolts. But if you were to install shims with more angle (6*) , you may need longer bolts. I used 4* shims.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:17 am

I'm following your lead with the 4*, that's why I asked. They just look like the nut wouldn't have a lot of meat to hold it together. Cool, save me some coin on parts!
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:14 am

69A100 wrote:I'm following your lead with the 4*, that's why I asked. They just look like the nut wouldn't have a lot of meat to hold it together. Cool, save me some coin on parts!
    If your shims are thick on the thin edge, or you have more leaf springs than I did. You may need longer U bolts. But with my springs and shims, the U bolts were long enough. Has worked great for me. Good luck

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 am