VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

caster ???

gkpost
    gkpost

Number of posts : 224
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

caster ??? Empty caster ???

Post by gkpost Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:32 pm

caster ??? Post_013
    Been a while since my last post. The int has a long way to go and I still have no stereo. But I love my van even though it sucks to drive. I've got the "Hot wheels" look I was going for and now I need to get the caster correct. I'm sure not the first guy that has gone for this look so I'm asking the pro's. HELP. I was going to get some 8 degree after market wedges and see what happens but figured I'd ask you first.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks again GK.
    gkpost
    gkpost

caster ??? Empty Re: caster ???

Post by gkpost Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:37 pm

OK so the pic did not happen the way I hoped. The ass end of my van is way high with huge tires and as you can see very tiny tires up front.
    caster ??? Post_014
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Caster needs to be about 4 degrees,,,,you need to go to an alignment shop to measure it and see what shim you need to make it end up that way,,,,,,
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 am

Nice paint job!
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:32 pm

If the van is going to be level, 8 degrees might be a little excessive, but if you are going to have a hotrod nose-down rake, some of those degrees will go to the rake........Basically, caster is the kingpin angle front-to-rear, as viewed from the side with the brake backing plate removed....
    When the bottom of the kingpin is farther ahead than the top you have positive caster. A forward rake rolls the front axle forward, subtracting from any positive caster you had..... This will reduce the van's preference for going straight down the road by default and instead of steering off from the center, you will have to "corral" it back to center constantly....... Positive caster allows you to take your hands off the steering wheel in confidence of going straight...
    Caster can be easily measured at home using a magnetic dial protractor from the hardware store ($20 maybe?) and a six inch long piece of angle (2"x 2")
    What you will do is stand the piece of angle on one ear against the flat mounting surface of the top of the axle right against the u-bolts with the flat of the angle up and parallel with the ground....You will use the flat to stick the magnetic mounting base of the protractor and read it....
    Backing up some, you will want to be on a level surface with properly inflated tires and the van loaded to ride and set to your preferred rake. Use your protractor to first measure the level of the surface, because you will want to compensate the van's measurments for any degrees of unlevel in that surface.....
    Ideally, You will want about four degrees of net positive caster to get good stability going down the road..... Wedge shims are used on top of the axle with the thick end to the rear to achieve positive caster..... Good Luck!
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks for the help I'll fix asap and let you know how I do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:01 pm