VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator??

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator?? Empty is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator??

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:47 am

i'm in the process of buying a super six for my 1966 a-100, anyone had, has, seen a dash pot for a Carter BBd??, i've been asking around but no one could answer me for shure, i've sent messages to carb restoration sites, anyone has a better site or ref to go to??, i'm waiting for this conclude the deal with he super six owner, thanks.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator?? Empty Re: is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator??

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm

So are we talking about the same thing,,,,,,this throttle plate return delay????

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator?? Bbd10

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator?? Empty Re: is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator??

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 am

"Hey Men"! i got a picture of "the thing" thank you very much Donivan65, i can now order the other "thing" without worry, all i'll have to do now, is to find one .but from this picture, i can see there's other versions of the BBD carburator depending of the year of the engine......thanks again..corrosive101 Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:34 am

Seems to me, they added those dashpots to carbs around 1975 to keep you from letting up on the gas pedal and closing the throttle plates too fast so you did not run a rich fuel mixture through the catalytic convertor. So I'm thinking if you ain't got no converter, you don't need no dashpot......and its not really a carb part,,,,,,its an emission part that you add to your carb,,,,,,,,

Last edited by donivan65 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:02 am

Catalytic convertor, we don't need no stinkin catalytic convertor. lol!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator?? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:25 am

yup remove and toss it in the bushes at once!
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:45 pm

your lookin for a rare item. if you go by the above picture i think thats a carter 1bbl carb and not a lot of them left. the most common carb was the holley 1bbl easily identified by its removeable float bowl. carter bbd carbs were of the 2bbl version on super sixes and small v-8's. they mostly had a choke pulloff on them and thats about it. the dashpot ones were used on "emmission controled engines". i stand to be corrected on this however.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:47 am

That would probably be a common part out here in California, King of the Smog Controlled Vehicles. Here is a BBD with it on. But its good that JKR jumps in,,,,,I try to help everyone, and if someone has a better answer, post it,,,,just as long as the best information comes out of it..........

is there a dash pot for a Carter BBd carburator?? Bbddash

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:05 pm

I thought(and Still think) that dash pot is for manual tranny, so the engine doesnt die while changing speed or stop at corners, i have now a holley 1920 that always die on corner street or when i'm slowing too fast(i know it's sound funny), i'm always starting the truck on corner or i have to give it some gas so it wont die and put the brake at the same time, not safe!! .so (please ) correct me if i'm wrong,...i'm waiting your replys..thank you all

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm

i just went on wekepedia( internet dictionnary) and what its says about dashpot is: "They are also used on carburettors, where the return of the throttle lever is cushioned right before the throttle fully closes and then is allowed to fully close slowly to reduce emissions of sudden deceleration (compared to deceleration without a dashpot)"...but why is it only on manual transmission?????
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:35 pm

I was told by an old school mechanic that the dash pot was for auto transmissions only. I had a van once a while back he was working on and when it came time to rebuild the carb he asked for the correct one for the vehicle. He said it had been repleced with a dash pot model that was intended for use on auto vehicles only. This guy has been to Ford school every year since he started working for a FORD dealership in 1960. He is retired now and does a lot of side jobs for me. He recalls the days of old when he serviced the 61-67 Econolines regularly. He has taught me a few things about them over the years.
    Anyhow,just to verify I checked my 66 Econoline service manual and it does say the dash pot model is intended for auto transmissions,just like my old school guy told me. Also I ve got a 67 DCW thats an automatic and it has the dash pot on it.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Well I was kinda correct it seems but heres the whole story from Pony carbs http://mustangtimes.net/31-12/pg54.pdf

Post by Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:38 pm

very interessting article, i knew it had a fonction of anti stall but didnt know about the emission and now i know its not only on manual tranny (learning is money in the bank;), i will see if i need the dash pot or not, probably get the engine next week i will keep you inform about my "metamorphose"..thank you all

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am