VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
crazee
wacko
mo_1040
Nightmoves
BILLS66
61econoline
PolarBear2
Kakster
kookykrispy
13 posters

windows in the doors or solid doors.... that is the question!

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

windows in the doors or solid doors....    that is the question! Empty windows in the doors or solid doors.... that is the question!

Post by kookykrispy Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Hey everyone, I have a 65 GMC panel... has non-opening windows in the side doors and rear doors. I recently talked to a guy with an 'all solid' van and he wants doors with windows, so I have an opportunity to swap for some solid doors. My van needs bodywork and paint anyway, so having mismatched color doors is not an issue for me.

What's everyone's thoughts on having solid doors? Are they ok just on the sides? or would solid rears be cool too? I'm wondering about the reality of daily driving a van with all solid doors. Seems like such limited visibility would be difficult in some driving situations... but that being said, pretty much all the greatest custom vans from the olden days were all solid. What does every one here think??

Should I go for it, both back and sides solid? or just the sides? or keep my windows?

All opinions welcome
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

windows in the doors or solid doors....    that is the question! Empty Re: windows in the doors or solid doors.... that is the question!

Post by Kakster Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Driving by mirrors alone is a challange and at times you might just have to "go for it" and hope no other cars are coming. I vote for at least rear windows. I added a side window door to help with the passenger side blind spot, but thats me. What others think we shall see.
    Kakster

windows in the doors or solid doors....    that is the question! Empty Re: windows in the doors or solid doors.... that is the question!

Post by Guest Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 pm

I agree...I would at least keep rear windows. Solid sides looks nice, though. I would probably only go for 1 side window, at the very most. my .02¢
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Fri May 29, 2009 5:20 am

If you have a nice set of mirrors and keep track of your surroundings driving a Van with no windows isn't tough.

Neither of my Vans back in the `70's had windows. `72 E=150 had a solid slider and the `69 G10 had solid side doors. Both did have rear door glass but it was used to fly Van Club Colors. The `72 had lath and curtins on the inside of the glass and the `69 was mirrored out and paneled over from the inside. I do like the look of back doors with glass, but from the outside only.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Fri May 29, 2009 5:28 am

my 2 cents is rear windows ,solid side. rear cameras are pretty cheap to for the no window choice
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri May 29, 2009 5:57 am

While in the body shop I went with solid side doors ilike the solid sides,with good mirrors no problem seeing .Bill
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri May 29, 2009 6:50 am

As for myself,I'm used to driving a vehichle havin only side mirrors to go by.But in a lot of situations it's great to have that blind side view eliminated,example:lane changes,backin out of parkin places.
    Besides the local Guestapo or 'Rednecks with Badges' can't stand it when they can't see in a vehicle.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 am

I would jump at the chance of having solid doors. Solid rear and sides...If I had solid rear doors I'd find some port windows to put in the back doors for a little light. I wont cut up the side of my van for those little windows but I think they look neat in the back doors. I would have my wife stick her head out the window and tell me if it's clear to move over Very Happy

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 am

solid or bust! i spent quite some time looking for my '67 because something about having no windows appeals to me. you do have to have that 'go for it' attitude sometimes, but conservative driving and california mirrors, helps out a ton! you spend plenty of time at stop signs and lights.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 am

I vote for solid. I have know idea what they will be like to drive with, so this is purely for the cool factor. I feel its either all windows or no windows.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Fri May 29, 2009 9:21 am

It's all a matter of taste and driving ability.........

So now you have my "realistic & honest" opinion.
    Razz

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2009 10:23 am

I vote for all solid. It gives the van a clean simple look.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri May 29, 2009 10:40 am

[b][i]I think solid in the side and windows in the back for this reason only that your van would be a cave in the back. That little bit of light will help people see whats inside at events. You don't want all your hard work going un-noticed if you fix the interior.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri May 29, 2009 6:21 pm

I have solid sides and windows in back as well and have no issues at all. You just have to use your mirrors and some common sense....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

windows in the doors or solid doors....    that is the question! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2009 6:30 pm

I was all solid for awhile, 1 set of doors were in REAL bad shape. So I put the window doors on the back again. I liked it both ways, but as G-Man said, its REALLY DARK with no windows. Kinda hard to back up with a cave and no camera, but I have small mirrors too.

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I have solids on the side and windows in the back, but I dont have a rear view mirror so I can tell you its not that bad. I would defenetly go with solid side doors, and if you feel like it, solid doors in the back cause it looks cool.
    -Ryan
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri May 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Thinking backup sensers or remote camera would be cool...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri May 29, 2009 6:55 pm

No Windows any where !!!!! Gets my Vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazee

Post by crazee Fri May 29, 2009 6:59 pm

SIX-FO' wrote:I have solids on the side and windows in the back, but I dont have a rear view mirror so I can tell you its not that bad. I would defenetly go with solid side doors, and if you feel like it, solid doors in the back cause it looks cool.
    -Ryan

Side doors????????............whats that?
    lol!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri May 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Oh, you a funny man 67..... I must admit I dream of a 1st Gen no door. But at the same time glad I have them, they really do come in handy.....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

crazee

Post by crazee Sat May 30, 2009 7:35 am

DanTheVanMan wrote:............. But at the same time glad I have them, they really do come in handy.....

Handy for what?????.........helping women escape? scratch
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Sat May 30, 2009 10:31 am

My thinking back in the day was if you want windows get a station wagon.......
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat May 30, 2009 10:58 am

crazee wrote:
    DanTheVanMan wrote:............. But at the same time glad I have them, they really do come in handy.....

Yep, the name "Crazee" fits you!!! So, I'm curious. I have never seen the inside of a seriously customized "No door" how about some pic's?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

crazee

Post by crazee Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:
    crazee wrote:

Yep, the name "Crazee" fits you!!! So, I'm curious. I have never seen the inside of a seriously customized "No door" how about some pic's?

It's all here------>
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/member-s-showcase-f2/mini-members-gallery-t2744-15.htm

Now stand in the corner for 10 minutes and pay better attention in the future!
    lol!

BTW----->
    Have not done anything to the "70's time capsule" yet except mechanical, new tires, curtains and cleaned it out and wiped and polished the paneling. Bed gets installed next. Then flat black paint & drag the airbrush out and go "CRAZEE" on it.
    Wink
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sat May 30, 2009 3:03 pm

I like the no window look all around, and that's what I've got now. I had an A100 30 years ago that had windows in the back door only, and while those windows threw some light in there, I had curtains covering them up so they were useless for seeing what was behind you. That said, with the west coast mirrors, and one convex clip-on attached to the passenger side, I could park that thing on a dime, and see everything I needed to otherwise.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:39 pm