VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

coverting windows to solid?

langan
    langan

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2010-05-22

coverting windows to solid? Empty coverting windows to solid?

Post by langan Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Anyone post any patch panels for door windows? Thinking could cut at belt line and peal off window skin and weld in new no window patch? Kinda how you do old car doors
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

coverting windows to solid? Empty Re: coverting windows to solid?

Post by Digz Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:26 am

I don't believe there is an actual panel available for the uppers. But the idea doesnt sound to bad compared to the work that has to go into just filling the holes. You might find some rusty bottom side panel doors for candidates? That would also gain you the lateral support to keep the new metal from drumming ( I know there's a another word , just can't think of it).
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:36 pm

It could be done with sheetmetal, if you wrap around the edge. Keep in mind that the sheetmetl is slightly (VERY slightly) domed for strength. The inside brace would have to be fabbed or else you would get the drumming digz referred to.
    I saw an HHR Panel that had the tailgate window filled in this way, the builder said it took several tries to get the compund curve correct, but since he replaced the entire upper skin there will never be a 'weld line' showing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:54 am