VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
m1dadio
Skulptorchaz
6 posters

Latest and greatest best way to insulate??

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Latest and greatest best way to insulate?? Empty Latest and greatest best way to insulate??

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Hey guys,
     I am looking at past insulation methods in the insulation forum but wanted to put out to, hopefully, more members, a question as to what is "currently" the BEST way too insulate your van.
     I am putting the question in interior forum as well so if you would, please answer there. I'm hoping that is OK. I am just about ready for insulation and REALLY want to do it correctly and use the best products.
    Thanks!!!!
     Chaz
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Latest and greatest best way to insulate?? Empty Re: Latest and greatest best way to insulate??

Post by m1dadio Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:05 pm

what ever you use you need to think about air flow and moister entrapment or you may end up with an always damp moldy smelling rusting van. I wont do insulation. I think an aux heater and bigger AC unit is the way to go. and dont paint your van a dark color unless you want the heat of the day to warm the van up.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Latest and greatest best way to insulate?? Empty Re: Latest and greatest best way to insulate??

Post by AzDon Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Yes, White or pastel paint color, Roomy engine box streamlined inside with plenty of airflow.... rust protection primer and paint inside followed by elastomeric/microbeads mix...next, foil-backed stick-on foam sound deadener and then closed cell foam to fill the rest of the space behind the paneling.....I think the key is to coat the inside metal well so that any "cold sweat" is held away from the metal....I'm not so sure about the "air space" thing, unless the air spaces are vented. Also, stuffed walls makes the interior quieter...... Something I've been considering is to have floor-to-ceiling fitted upholstered pads that fit between each vertical rib and have front-to-rear ribs screw into the uprights to contain those fitted cushions.....rib strips would be aluminum flatbar and I'd have the cushions sewn up in blue denim.....Thick, padded, simple, and easily removed for cleaning
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Sounds about like what I had in mind. The difference would be sound deadening black rubber mat with foil back, then my first "coat" would probably be Geocel Proflex roof sealer for moisture protection. (Awesome stuff, clear and very sticky.) Would have to let it "air" for awhile. Then the insulation. I'm still trying to figure out the best stuff.
    Thanks Don!
    Chaz
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm

I used lizard skin on my  van did the walls, in the doors, roof, and dog house and cover ..and did the floors with bed liner  for what i cost it better be great ..
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm doing the homemade lizard skin..........for the reason you stated - they are proud of it!!! I'm just not sure what actual insulation I should use. And time draws near.
    Chaz
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 am

I got lucky there a friend works at a auto body supply house and had some damaged cases .. they sure were not free but he did cut me a good deal
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:17 am

That's sweet. Good deals are ...........good deals!! Smile
    Speaking of which, I have found LOTS of good deals at RV surplus stores in northern Indiana. I know not everyone can get to them but the internet can help. I found BEAUTIFUL chocolate brown elephant hide ultra leather for 8.00 a yard!!! A new electric jack knife couch for 175.00. And lots of other good stuff. I go to Ickes RV Surplus. 765-728-5668. They don't have a website but good people to work with and talk to.
    Chaz
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van
    Rick's 66 Chevy Van

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2011-03-06

Latest and greatest best way to insulate?? Empty insulate

Post by Rick's 66 Chevy Van Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 am

what about rinno lining??
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 am

That would act more like a sound insulator but not much R-value. It would probably be ok to use with ceramic spheres that you can put in paint to make Lizard skin. I'm not sure how well it would work.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:42 pm

I've been to that place. I bought a retractable 11' awning from him years ago when I was living in Marion, IN, along with some roof vents and odds and ends. Great prices and he has loads and loads of stuff. You name it, he's got it.
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm

yep, he has a boat load of all kinds of stuff. It gets my creative juices flowing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:08 pm