VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

latest update

latest update Empty latest update

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:46 am

Ok;

I told the wife, she's ok with it. The best part is, due to a scheduling conflict, Ryan got his present last night! He'll sign up as a member today I'm sure and properly introduce himself. We kinda punked him a little. My buddy asked him if he wanted to do some painting for a few buck at this house. So we went over to look at the painting job and were poking around when he asked him to go get a ladder out of the garage. Funny part was, after he saw the van, my buddy told him that he was the winning bidder on Ebay!
    Well, we finally told him and he's pretty pumped up about it. We did a cap, rotor, plugs and wires which helped but I'm afraid the carb is toast.

Couple quick questions:

1) where do I find the numbers to identify the engine?
    2) what is the proper firing order? I want to make sure the plug wires are in the right places.

I want to thank you all again for the warm welcome, He got a real kick out of reading the thread. We'll get some photos taken today or tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Todd
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

latest update Empty Re: latest update

Post by Nightmoves Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:21 am

Hey Ya Todd.
    Firing order on '64-70 6 cyl.1-5-3-6-2-4 (kinda like SSN,you just dont forget those things) but i did go back & check,to make sure i wasnt gettin dyslexic.
    6 cyl id num. "the number is found on a pad at the front Right-hand side of the cylinder block,just to the rear of the distributor"-Chiltons Auto Repair Manual '71
    Thats pretty cool the way you punked Ryan.Makes even more fun when its your own kid ! Haaaaa Enjoy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:44 am

I think doing what you did only made the gift cooler. Look forward to hearing from Ryan.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 am

haha, We've been having fun with him. If I have it right, the number I see is on the cylinder head, just behind the distributer. The number is horizontal. If thats the one, it reads I think 4435F24. Does this make sense? Also, this is a really stupid question but on a distributer cap, which is number 1? And does it run clockwise from there?
    Thanks again
    Todd

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 pm

also, on the right side of the block, right under the GMC logo is another number, is this significant?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:28 pm

ok Gman, you were right. It is a 194.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 pm

#1 is the closest to radiator.w/seqince(cant spull too good) runnin in clockwise order.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:47 pm

ok, I suppose I should move this discussion to the G section.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 am