VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
wideload
Twinpilot001
Vanadian
whopman
Lyrad
panelmanrd
Sporto's 67
ChevyVanMan1
63chevyvan?
BILLS66
xjamesx
gotavan
BvrWally
m1dadio
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
mo_1040
Scott
Digz
donivan65
wdaguy
25 posters

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Empty Re: disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by BILLS66 Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 am

Digs,I here you on the geometry ,Friends that did mine sent the arm and the other piece out and had the machine shop shave them to get the correct geometry. Bill
    disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 113
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Empty Re: disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

This would be the BZ/Wildbill/Nova type flat disk brake bracket mounted.

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Dbk110

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Dbk210
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 am

Great help guys...What can happen if the lockpin bolt busts?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 pm

If that lockpin comes loose, it will probably beat itself and the axle hole to death,,,,,so you are taking chances,,,,,the backside of that shock bracket seems to cover the back of the pin,,,,,but I would drill that hole in the front side of the bracket bigger so that it fits around the nut on that lockpin,,,,,you might have to add some other support to the shock bracket to keep it from rotating on the shock bolt......
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm

There seems to be some confusion generated by all the different brake opptions being shown on this thread. I have had people making inquiries about the M1D brakets and they are asking questions about how to move the shocks and such.
    Avoiding all that extra work, NOT moving the shocks or messing up the steering geometry is exactly why I put so much design and testing into the brackets that I have redesigned and built. It is my oppinion that the less you tamper with, the safer and more reliable the end product will be. And I can still bring in disc brake conversion to the front axle at the same or less cost then the other opptions.

It is allways interesting to see what others are doing. Great pictures and thank you for the additional information on brake options.

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Dscn0410

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Lh_sid10

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Dscn0411

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Empty Cost and availability of disc brake brackets for 2012

Post by m1dadio Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:32 pm

If any body is or has been thinking about having disc brakes on their van, Read this because now is the time to think harder. The next few weeks will determine whether I will produce any more Disc brake brackets or not.
    I am at a dilemma, “again”, do I put out $2500 to $3000 and have a batch of brackets made up and then have to wait a year or so to get my money back or do I spend the cash on the next phase of my van, the interior? And not make anymore brake brackets?

I have finally sold all the brake brackets I had from the last batch. The guys whom I know that have purchased several sets of brackets are unwilling to part with them which means there simply are no more disc brackets available at this time.

In order for me to put out the cash to have another batch of brackets made up I need to first generate a list of ten or more vanners who will be committed to buying the brackets within a week or two of their being produced. I am setting a dead line for this list by Jan 6th 2012.That would probably mean a batch of brackets could be ready by mid Feb 2012 at the earliest but may be March. So if you or anybody you know is undecided on this topic now would be a good time to help them decide.

If you want Disc brake brackets you must Email me with your request/intention to buy; and which brackets you want at m1dadio@shaw.ca

Posting on this thread that you want brackets or “PM” me will not get your name on the list.

I will keep you posted on how many people get their name on the list and what the outcome is on Jan 6th2012. Following that, should there be enough interest I will ask for a deposit from each person on that list.

More imformation on my three different disc brake options can be found on page 21 of this thread.

A couple of disc brake concerns/questions have come up in the past while that I think should be addressed at this time.

The first; “How much to do disc brakes on my van”?
    The following is not price quotes or estimates; they are general numbers from previous experience. The cost to do your van is subject to many variables like what year your van is, what state of disrepair the brakes are currently in, do you have a sway bar, have any adjoining parts been previously modified and so on.
    Separate from that the simple answer is between about $800 to $1000 for a decent, basic Disc/Drum duel circuit manual brake system conversion if you do the job yourself.
    That is cheap! as far as disc/drum conversions go. Lets put that into perspective with some other examples. Go online yourself and look up disc brake conversion for very popular and abundant kits for cars like late 60s mustangs, Novas, Chevelle and so on. Kits for those very popular vehicles are anywhere for $850 to $1600 depending on the Car and up for higher performance kits and some require addition machining or costly changes to the vehicle. I would think those kits should be cheaper then that because they are so popular and mass produced by the thousands, usually in China.
    You can also see brake kits in the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range, you know those are “made in America” brake kits.

For you to have access to a “custom” disc brake bracket created for a very small van market that only does about ten van disc brake conversions a year, and made so the do-it yourselfer can complete it in the driveway with basic hand skills and without any major modifications to any other van parts and for only $800 to $1000 is extremely reasonable value for your money.
    Lets break that down a little further.
    Of the “front axle” conversion to disc brakes the brackets had been costing about $260 shipping , with comprehensive installation instructions with parts list and all (this is likely to go up in price on the next batch by about 20%) and with the rest of the (very common and very available at your local car parts store)rotors, calipers, hoses and other misc parts come in around $225 depending on the cost of parts where you live. The “front axle part” has been costing usually under $500, the brackets being the most expensive part of that.
    Add to that a replacement master cylinder, new lines, fluid, and other needed valves are around $300 to $350 depending on your van and its needs. Some people choose extras or higher grade parts and that’s where this conversion can cost between $800 and $1000, or more if you want higher quality or performance chrome everything.

If you want to go to four wheel discs add about another $500 to $1000 to do the rear with operating park brake and all. If you want to go to power assisted brakes add around another $500 or so with all the design and fabrication of relocating the master cylinder.

One other concern I have heard from several vanners is the lack of consistent availability of disc brake brackets to the G van community. I think this very post and everything script above speaks to why that is.
    Said another way; the economic laws of “supply vs demand” are always at play affecting both inconsistent supply and higher costs. The real problem is the very small number of vanners doing disc conversions, about 10 or 12 a year. If there were 50 or more vanners doing disc brake conversions each year I could then make these brackets available all the time and at less then half the cost they are now. But that isn’t what’s happening; the market (demand) is just to small.

thank you
    M1D
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:05 am

M1D,
    PM sent.

Email sent.. Hahaha!!

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:20 am

M1D,
    e-mail sent.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Got my deposit in for two (2) sets!!! Wahoooo! cheers cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 am

I sent mine too but havent got any confirmation yet. Lol. He still having PC issues?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 am

Matt, He still has a few PC issues I think. And know he's still waiting on a few folks who put their names on the list to make their deposit as well. I got mine in early since I missed out last time!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah I sent mine as soon as he told me it was a go to have them done.
    clinsenbarh
    clinsenbarh

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2011-12-14

Post by clinsenbarh Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 pm

He posted just the other day that he had gotten two payments.
    I think he said he was getting close.
    Charley
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 am

No more patence needed!! The brackets are in and I just audited the batch.
    They look real good, best batch thus far.
    All of you whom have sent deposits will be getting an email from me within a couple days, I can't serve everybody on the same day.disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 More_b12

M1D
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 am

Wahoooooo! bounce bounce bounce

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

chester42
    chester42

Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 am

All-right, Can't wait to get some goood brakes on the 64 !!
    Thanks Michel cheers
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I just mailed out five sets of brackets tonight, You lucky ones know who you are, you will be doing disc conversions next week end.

I sent emails to every one who paid deposits for brackets and some others on the list as well. So If you wanted brckets you probobly got mail.

I have a few extra sets so anyb ody else who wants to do disc brakes send me an email at m1dadio@shaw.ca

Also: some people are concerned they can't or just don't want to do the hub modifications for these disc brake conversions so I am aquiring a couple sets of hubs and will do the hub mods on an exchange basis for those who would rather pay to have that part done for them. I havn't calculated an exact price yet but it will likely be something like $115 plus a $70 core charge on the contingency that your hubs are usable. Just send me an email if you needs the hubs prepaired for your conversion. this hub thing will be availible to those who have bought disc brake brackets from me.

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Just mailed out another four sets tonight. Theres going to be alot of safe stopping going on this year.

If anybody else is on the fence about disc brakes or not, I recomend you make a choice real soon.

M1D
    NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Post by NipRing Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh I definitely want, but my funds are limited at the moment due to being out of work. Sad
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:47 am

Hmmm.... Got to be customs holding up the mail again. I always forget about customs delays...... bounce Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:45 pm

According to the tracking web site, all those brackets mailed out this week have left Canada and are in the hands of the US postal service.

You need patience.
    This is Dan heading to the post office for his brackets. LMAO!

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Cid_9_10

M1D "I kill me!!" LOL!
    chester42
    chester42

Post by chester42 Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:58 pm

All my parts are in garage waiting on the brackets to arrive. Illegel workers can get here faster. Should put brackets in their packs !
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm

m1dadio wrote:According to the tracking web site, all those brackets mailed out this week have left Canada and are in the hands of the US postal service.

You need patience.
    This is Dan heading to the post office for his brackets. LMAO!

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Cid_9_10

M1D "I kill me!!" LOL!

The only thing slower than Customs...... "The US postal service" Rolling Eyes

m1dadio wrote:This is Dan heading to the post office for his brackets.
    And with the price of Gas we all should get "Parting Gifts!" lol!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Got one word...................

"WAHOOOOOO"

Guess what I"eeeeeeeee got in the mail today???

Thank you Michel !!!

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 14 Img_0115

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

chester42
    chester42

Post by chester42 Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:04 pm

ME TOO! They look great!
    THANKS Michel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:01 am