VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

making progress

dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

making progress Empty making progress

Post by dougtappan Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:37 am

Hey all, Well I figured out my carb problem and now the engine purrs like a kitten .....Never overlook the obvious I bought a different manifold and didn't realise the EGR port on the intake manifold wasn't there. I installed the one from my old manifold ...the engine started up and two easy adjustments later the engine ran awesome. So I drove the van for the first time up and down the driveway..... However, the temp gauge went to about 190..... So the questiion is, is that about right typically and if not am I looking at an electric fan, and if so is anyone running an electric fan , from who and did it help.I will be posting some pics later on today.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

making progress Empty Re: making progress

Post by kookykrispy Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:51 am

190 is just fine, and is normal/typical. I believe the stock thermostat was 195*.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:40 am

190 is fine on a warm summer day, should run a bit cooler when its cooler outside, the stock stat in a 194/230 was a 180, look at any of the spec sheets in manuals, that's what they list...I run a 180 and always stay a bit under 190 if its over 85F ouitside, 175-180 in winter or lower on a cold day. This is of course with a new re-cored radiator and just a stock 5-blade fan.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:40 am

I like 160 or less...... But I don't live in a cold climate.... It's often 120 here in summer, so I generally delete thermostats completely....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:15 am

I kinda believe that an engine needs a thermostat to restrict the flow of coolant so it flows slowly to pick up heat and make it flow into all passages and not just the ones with the least resistance,,,,,and the 20 extra degrees it takes to fully open one makes me use the 160 degree ones,,,,,,,,

making progress Therm10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:21 pm