VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+17
Twinpilot001
wylee
dix
jrinaman
Lyrad
whopman
panelmanrd
kookykrispy
sasktrini
RodStRace
heretic
m1dadio
Digz
G-Man
EconoCarl
DanTheVanMan
econopoor
21 posters

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Empty New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:32 pm

HI! We are building this G van for a customer who is going to sell it when finished, and we would like some feedback from the people who know best! Any questions, comments, suggestions or interest in buying would be appreciated! Cheers, Rochelle, owner- Blue Star Garage

Restoration will include-
    Lowered, modified dash, instrument cluster& dog box, 350ci engine bored with 4bbl intake, headers, 700R4 Trans.......

Here's some photos so far-
    When we got it.. it was this....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon10[/img]
    Stripped it....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon11[/img]
    Me finished after too much paint stripper!
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon12[/img]
    metal fabrication begins on the engine bay....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon13[/img]
    engine fitting.....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon14[/img]
    transmission crossmember assembly start...
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon15[/img]
    crossmember finished.....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? I_phon16[/img]
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_010[/img]
    and lowered...
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_011[/img]
    modifying dog box...
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_012[/img]

Thanks for looking! cyclops cyclops

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Empty Re: New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:47 pm

welcome to the site and keep up the great work on that ven! afro
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Empty Re: New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

Post by econopoor Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey!! When you get done with the Chevy, think you might want to tackle my A-100??

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Mytrucks149-vi

Just kiddin, Welcome and nice work on the G-10

Duane in Tennessee
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Blue Star,
    Welcome to the site!! Looks like you really have a good start and a great plan! Thank you for sharing your pic's with us and look forward to seeing your van as is progresses.

Again welcome,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Lookin' good!
    Ditto what the others said, 'ceptin Duane! jocolor lol!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:11 pm

econopoor wrote:Hey!! When you get done with the Chevy, think you might want to tackle my A-100??

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Mytrucks149-vi

Just kiddin, Welcome and nice work on the G-10

Duane in Tennessee

Ha ha Duane! sure we will do it, might need a few new panels though! will look mean when its done, with a big V8.....
    Thanks for all the positive feeds guys, i will keep the photos coming as we go along, the boys are working full time on it at the moment now that we have a new plasma cutter (fun!) so should be done with dog box stuff next week.
    Here is a mock up of how the dash is going to look, we are a bit amateur on photoshop but you will get thew idea....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Handiv10[/img]
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Wow!!! Looks great!!! Welcome to the site!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Sure does look good !! Dont know what yer doing for the DH but make sure ya leave room for the seats to mount okay ,,lol ,, Embarassed

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 pm

yeah, the DH is the seat, its a single seater.....center drive.... trying to fit it all in there lol! Here is some of the metal work the boys did tonight.....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? New_im10[/img]
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Well I would recomend firstly a duel circuit brake system is a must.
    Add to that front disc brakes with that V8.
    rear drum brakes are good.
    Power brakes are another idea.

M1D
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Well I think it would take more than just a few panels to fix my A 100, Like all of them!! Fraid it might be a little over budget to fix this one. LOL.

Sweet job on the sheet metal work. Looking great!

Duane in Tennessee.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:45 am

Disk Brakes are on already, will post pics soon, thanks for the suggestion though M1D! Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 am

Dog house coming along, and the seats fit!!!! this is from 2 days ago, more later today..,.....
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? 2011-010[/img]

heretic
    heretic

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by heretic Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 am

very nice!!

How did you lower the front?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

Welcome! Nice work, glad the economy is good enough in your area that your shop is able to get work for a spec sale, rather than just us poor folk that are upside down in our beloved vans!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:10 pm

we lowered the front with pile of parts we had laying around the shop from another project. The springs are monoleaf lowering springs from a 1955 pro-street chevy panel truck. we put a mustang 2 style IFS on it and he gave us all the old parts. Once the doghouse is more complete, I'll jack it up and take some pics.

Kevin, BSG shop mgr.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm

More progress on the DH, Yes it is hard in the economic downturn, and i cant promise that the customer wont be upside down in the thing when its done! we are doing a lot of the work for mates' Rates and the experience (I'm Australian sorry)... and they're pretty hard to get your money out of from what i can tell....do y'all think it will be hard to sell?
    Rochelle
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? 6410[/img]
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Rochelle,
    Our vans are not what the motor world considers "Muscle cars". The are vans, plain and simple... The only true way to pull a profit on them is to find a way to do exactly what your doing while keeping the cost to a bare minimum. Generally getting over 5K for a project is rare unless it is do flawlessly and has all the desired mod's ( V8, Auto trans, POSI rear, show quality interior as well as body and paint). You look like your on your way to doing just that. Keep up the good work...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:45 pm

That is some sweet metal fab! It looks like you have all the big parts and a pretty decent skin to start with. Labor on these things is probably the biggest item you can run into, I know alot of us working by ourselves for the most part and even with some help can take a couple years or more to get them on the road with the mods your doing ! Im sure opinions on what ya get out of them is going to vary, but IMO a decent body and good design on the mechanicals should sell okay. I see I am echoing what Dan has said for the most part...lol
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 am

Great work! There is a first gen G van in my future, but I won't be able to afford yours Sad heck, I can hardly afford what I've got, but that's what happens when you get bit by the VintAGE-Vanning bug! Cheers!

"Mate's Rates"... clever! Welcome!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Blue Star Garage wrote:we lowered the front with pile of parts we had laying around the shop from another project. The springs are monoleaf lowering springs from a 1955 pro-street chevy panel truck. we put a mustang 2 style IFS on it and he gave us all the old parts. Once the doghouse is more complete, I'll jack it up and take some pics.

Kevin, BSG shop mgr.

Do the front springs from a '55 chevy truck directly interchange with 1st gen chevy van springs????

What did you use for shackles? Did you have to modify anything to make the front spring eyes fit???

Please be as detailed as possible, alot of members would love to know if this is a good interchange source that we can use!!!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:19 pm

don't worry, we will have details up soon. it was fairly easy to make the springs work, we had to relocate the front spring hangers. right now we are furiously working to finish the DH. It would have been done sooner but we got sidetracked on a couple other projects. I will post lots of pics of what we did to the front suspension and answer any questions so other people can try it themselves.

later, kevin

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Wow an early Handi-Van! I got one of those......REALLY interested in the build now!
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:41 pm

this guy need to make these dog houses in sections so you can ship
    them flat and sell them to those who need a home for the v8.
    that is some fantastic sheetmetal work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Empty Some new pics and progress!!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:01 am

Have been working on lots of other stuff at the moment so progrsss has been a little less speedy, but wanted to post some pics of the nearly finished dog box, and by request some photos of the lowered spring mounts we made. I will take some pics of the brake conversion soon too. Hope you like it as much as i do! Panelmanrd, would be great to ship the dogboxes out flat but then we might as well just sell a pattern, which could work. Cheers! Rochelle
    [url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_013[/url]
    [url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_014][/url]
    [url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_015]
    And the new spring mounts for front-
    [url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? Gvan_017] Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:45 am