VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+17
Twinpilot001
wylee
dix
jrinaman
Lyrad
whopman
panelmanrd
kookykrispy
sasktrini
RodStRace
heretic
m1dadio
Digz
G-Man
EconoCarl
DanTheVanMan
econopoor
21 posters

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

Post by G-Man Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Very Nice work!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions?

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Looking good! Love that DH metalwork! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Outstanding Tin Work!!
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 pm

jsut what springs did you put on that van that you needed
    to move the front bolt back? nice work by the way!!!!
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 pm

sorry about the spring question just had to read a little, 55
    truck front monoleaf, still nice work!!!!

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Hey y'all thanks for the feedback the boys were loving the comments on their work!
    Things have progressed a little but not too much since we had a rusty 71 Celica come in for a full resto- crazy guy!?!

Shaved the bumpers and taken out the grille, not sure what we're going to put in there, any suggestions?????

Also here is a pic of the side exit exhaust opening, we are just going to make a box tip out of stainless to sit in there.

Starting to think about paint now too, he is thinking a burgundy/dark reddish
    ......... Hope you like, please give any comments or suggestions on all of the above, this is a collaborative project that is being designed as we go!!
    Thanks, Rochelle.

[url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Va_00210[/url]
    [url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Va10[/url]
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Wed May 04, 2011 6:07 pm

vertical tubing with cutouts for some fog lamps

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 pm

That might look a little too much like teeth. we want to get away from the whole "mouth" look.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Wed May 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Howdy, I like the burgandy paint colour......on the darker side anyway. for the grill maybe that chrome squares stuff that is used for light lens covers in offices. Try getting it from a Canadian Tire store in your area. EH! lol

Welcome the show.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 pm

something like this?New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Jag_re10it is ford toredor red
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 am

Just a note on the exhaust ports, the interior ribs are open to the rocker panel area, they extend thru the floor and anchor to the back rocker panels. Im sure you were already on top of this but make sure the passage is sealed up well. Again thats some very cool work you guys are doing !

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks for the heads up on the rocker to interior opening. We are also going to have to contend with the torque box area where it attaches to the inner rocker. We will post some pics as we go.

Kevin, BSG
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat May 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Blue Star Garage wrote:

Shaved the bumpers and taken out the grille, not sure what we're going to put in there, any suggestions?????
    New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Va_00210

The factory grill is beautiful, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to remove it? Crying or Very sad I guess your customer wanted something different?

My suggestion: Retrieve the peices you cut out, reconstruct the grille, fabricate some mounts so it can be removeable, trying the keep the factory design & look as much as possible, but then have the whole thing chromed... I've always thought a fully chromed grill would look amazing! cheers

Especially with the front bumper removed and smoothed, you're going to need some chrome up front or the van is not going to look right... chrome the headlight trim rings too.

Please keep the body mods tasteful, some people go overboard and butcher these poor vans with radical body mods and they end up looking kind of stupid... that's why its so hard to find a clean uncut 1st gen these days!!

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat May 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Always wanted to cut my grill out just couldn't ever think of what to do after I got it out. Been watching "Highway Child's" project ever since he cut his out last year waiting to see what he was planning to do. Rochelle, what are your plans for it?

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat May 07, 2011 7:31 pm

We all have seen some hack jobs over the years and no one likes them, but from seeing your metal work on the doghouse I know that won't be the case here. I agree with KK the stock look is very nice, but customizing these vans goes hand and hand with our vans. Without customizing there wouldn't be vanning as we know it today. That's what really started the vanning craze in the 70's and truck'in followed. My 64 I'm doing some things that is not everyones cup of tea, but as I look at it this van would have been in the bone yard if I didn't save it and it was to far from stock to bring it back
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm

I think some nice horizontal bars with the turn signals and a fog lights worked in to break it up would be nice, Id try it.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun May 08, 2011 3:55 am

i think a billet grille with rectangle turn signals maybe up & down , with a chevy emblem in the center.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sun May 08, 2011 4:14 am

i think u r doing great, its ur van. have a good time with it....................
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sun May 08, 2011 11:09 am

How about a steel sheet grille with a bowtie cut out of it, couple square tubes or bar stock behind it blacked out? Or if you have a name for the van, cut the name out with a small bowtie? Maybe bowtie cutouts for your signal lights?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 am

I prefer something that's been fitted to the fabricated stuff.
    How about taking a Nova or Imapla grille and trimming to fit.
    You may need 2 grilles to section together to fit the opening.
    I also prefer a bit of inset, rather than flush mount.
    New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 0704ch_11_z+1964_chevy_nova+

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 1964_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_Hardtop_Coupe_327_Front_1

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the input on the grille ideas. I agree with KK that it's easy to go too far and end up with something that looks a bit "tacky" and overdone. We like to make some body mods to everything we do but our style is more to clean up what the factory did. Examples would be removing marker lights from the corners of fenders and quarters or tucking in the bumper to match the lines of the car better.

With this project, it's hard to guess what others will appreciate. Some people really seem to get into the glam look of the 70's and others more on the conservative side.

We are trying to take a little of this and a little of that and mix it tastefully together. The body already had portholes cut in the sides and we plan to leave those, even though it's not my thing. The bumpers were completely toast when we started and we thought the rolled pan look is a bit cleaner.

The grille also was in very bad shape and we thought it needed something shiny up there. Our basic idea is to replicate the original in stainless and polish it, probably with round tube as the basic construction.

The roof had a vent in it and I'm not quite sure what we are going to do with the hole as yet.

The plan for the exhaust came about because the owner asked about putting on side pipes, after talking it over we all agreed that it would be the wrong look. We figured with the side exit through the rocker it would have the same effect sound wise but fit the lines of the van a bit better.

That's all we have planned for body mods other than repairing some previous mods that were not done well.

Here is some fun we had on photoshop one day playing around with color schemes and hillbillies.

Disclaimer ***This didn't really happen, this is several images pieced together, please don't take this seriously, we are only having fun***

[url=New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Hillbi10[/url]

New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Empty PROGRESS!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 pm

yay some new stuff for you to look at! we have been on other projects for a while, but finally back to the van. we have finished the side exit exhaust.. with custom made tips which we are pretty proud of...and it looks nice! Have a lot more pics of the rocker cutouts, tips being fabricated etc. that i will post soon.
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Img_1111g[/img]
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Img_1112[/img]

And radiator support
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Img_1113[/img]

as soon as the radiator is in we can start it up woohoo!!!

on other progress, we have been repairing rust, most is done but the doors has some wadding stuffed in them and have rusted the bottoms which, uppon further investigation, look farked! we could fix em, but really dont want to spend all that time doing it, and our customer really wants to get the car done.....sooo anyone know where we can get doors that look better than this?????... side and rear thanks for looking!!! Rochelle @ Blue Star bounce

[img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Img_1114[/img]
    [img]New Member building a 64 G modified...comments? suggestions? - Page 2 Img_1115[/img]
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks you for the update, this is one of my favorite builds going on here. The tips thought the body are super sweet!!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm liking the Xhaust tips to. Neat ! Can't wait to see more!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Can hardly wait to see those rocker cutouts when their finished!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:39 pm