VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Another ballast resistor question?

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Another ballast resistor  question? Empty Another ballast resistor question?

Post by BADBADGER Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:02 pm

It is my understanding the ballast resistor is there to reduce voltage to the coil thus giving the coil a longer life among other things. The BR reduces the voltage but generates some heat. With the BR mounted on the rear of the dog house and the dog house is insulated how does the BR dissipate that heat? Would the life of the BR be increased by putting a spacer between the dog house and the back of the BR so air would flow around the BR?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Another ballast resistor  question? Empty Re: Another ballast resistor question?

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Its there to cut the amperage going through the points,,,,,they are the weak part of the ignition system,,,,,,,I would think the engine heat is absorbed by the ballast resistor anyways,,,,,so its a tough little piece of ceramic,,,,,probably dont let any insulation get too close to it would be the main concern,,,,,
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Another ballast resistor  question? Empty Re: Another ballast resistor question?

Post by BADBADGER Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply! My ignition has been changed to electronic distributor with a electromic ignition module but the installation instructions insist on the continued use of the BR.
    So i just thought it woud be beneficial to space the BR away from the surface of the dog house. May or may not have any effect.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Moving it to a place were it gets better air flow may/may not help. Could not hurt any though. But truthfully I owned mopars that were 10 years old. And still had the original ballast. Other mopars would eat 1 about every 2 years or so.
    Just carry a couple spare ballast, I always kept at least 2 in the glove box.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:07 pm

If you have the original type Dodge Electronic Ignition  with this dual Ballast resistor,,,,,,,,they seemed to not last long,,,,,,,,,people started carrying  a spare with them,,,,,,

Another ballast resistor  question? Dscn7815
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:11 am

Better safe than sorry.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:02 am

Yes, I do carry spares, had a 67 a100 back in the early seventies remeber having to cahnge a the BR frequently.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:36 am

Heres the fix-Temp!!= When a br goes bad - Tell Tale symptom is = the engine starts on crank circuit! then when key is released -dies!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad BR!! You can just take a jumper wirt -or unscrew the 2 wires on the BR & connect together! 12 V to points! yet - that BR needs to be changed soon!!Thats your roadside fix when BR goes bad! points will burn!! Now -That being said!= The points well usually need changed also!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYWAYS!! Now -another suggestion- when =EVER=Changing a point set or BR = get one from the =BEST Auto Parts You can !! =NAPA! Tell the counter person you want the highest Quality sets they can get!!!!!!!!!!!! The Marine applications are best !! Rotors also! just like dizzy caps- copper /brass contacts in those will last a long time - Never use any alunimum dizzy caps!! Ill bet if anyone pulls their dizzy cap & looks they will have the alunimum contact s in their caps!! Yes- this stuff costs more - yet will last much longer ! cheers
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 am

Also the NAPA MO6 rotor( I think that's the part number) has a longer brass tip. Which gets the rotor closer to the cap terminals= better spark=less chances of arching.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:44 pm