VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

starting issues / ballast resistor

Laserwolf

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2016-03-19

starting issues / ballast resistor  Empty starting issues / ballast resistor

Post by Laserwolf Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:32 am

Hey fellas, so yesterday I was reversing out of my driveway when e-pup stalled and would not fire back up. It cranks and chugs but won't start, almost like if it was flooded. I gave it a couple hours, tried again, but no dice. Slept on it, but still no dice. A friend suggested it may be the ballast resistor. I'm the not most mechanically savy guy but I'm learning. Changed several alternators, starter solenoids, minor and easy stuff like that. Never messed with or even new much about a ballast resistor before. Did a quick google search and one thing I read said they should be left to expert mechanics but it looks like a simple part. Any of you have any experience with this or any other suggestions on what the issue may be? FYI, truck was turn key up until this point. Fired up every time first try and drove like a champ ( other then REALLY having to gas it to not stall in first gear and reverse )

I'm running with a 200 straight 6. Three on the tree.

Thanks in advance,
    LW

Last edited by Laserwolf on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

starting issues / ballast resistor  Empty Re: starting issues / ballast resistor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:51 am

The coil and points like 6 volts,,,,,,,,so in the wire coming from the ignition switch is a ballast resistor that cuts down the 12 volts to 6,,,,,,so simple test is to take a test light and hook it to ground and probe the Positive side of the coil with key on and see if you got juice to the coil,,,,,,if you do, move the test light to the Negative side of the coil,,,,if the points are working, the test light should blink as you crank the engine,,,,,,see what you got,,,,
    Laserwolf

starting issues / ballast resistor  Empty Re: starting issues / ballast resistor

Post by Laserwolf Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks for that! Would it even be turning over if it was the BR? I would think it would act more like it had a dead battery or something if that was the case. It's chugs likes its about fire up.
    Laserwolf

Post by Laserwolf Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:43 pm

so closer inspection i see the choke plate on the holley carb is stuck open (photo 1 ) and the throttle lever (photo 2) will barely move. When pump the pedal or pull down on screw/spring (photo 3) fuel squirts into carb as it should. What to make of it all?

1. starting issues / ballast resistor  Ftpt9i

2. starting issues / ballast resistor  30tno9k

3.starting issues / ballast resistor  2rqo8t3
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:55 pm

its all about tests,,,,,,take some carburetor cleaner and spray it down into the carburetor,,,,then see if it starts,,,,,1st 2 basics for it to start are fuel and spark,,,,,,spray some fuel down in there like carburetor cleaner,,,,,get us some clues,,,,,the ballast resistor is just for AFTER the van starts,,,,,when it is running,,,,,nothing to do with the starter,,,,,to help it start, the starter relay shoots 12 volts to the coil to give the spark plugs a little more juice until it starts and the ballast resistor takes over,,,,,so 1 step and 1 system check at a time and you will find the problem,,,,,
    Laserwolf

Post by Laserwolf Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks! Fuel squirts in no problem but I haven't tried carb cleaner. Headed to Canada in a few hours for some mountain biking so it looks like I'm gonna have to mess with it next week when I get back. The input is much appreciated!
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:00 pm

You need to check for spark. Not sure why your friend went right to the ballast resistor wire as a possible culprit. Coil maybe bad, points, etc. Like Don said, it's all about test. It's a simple system, start at point A and work through it. Sounds like you've got fuel if you see it squirt, the fact that it ran and then died and wouldn't start negates the choke as the cause. The fact that it won't fire at all after that poiints to an ignition problem. Step one, is there spark?
    Laserwolf

Post by Laserwolf Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:22 am

Hey hey! Back from Canada ( with a broken wrist Crying or Very sad ) and was able to pinpoint the problem. It was the coil. Too easy and I was even able to swap it out one handed. She fired right up first crank after sitting for a few weeks and purred like a kitten. Thanks for the input everyone.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Glad you worked it out cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:20 pm