VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RF Man
Seth G
Twinpilot001
Abitibi
8 posters

Need new carb & distributor, suggestions?

Abitibi
    Abitibi
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Need new carb & distributor, suggestions? Empty Need new carb & distributor, suggestions?

Post by Abitibi Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:28 am

I'm getting a bad vacuum leak at the throttle linkage on my 1965 240ci carb and don't think it can be fixed since it's the body part where the throttle shaft is attached that's worn out.

I also have another vacuum leak at the vacuum advance on the distributor. My van has 70,000 miles and everything is pretty much original (and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible)...

I think the distributor can last a bit longer but if I'm going to fix up this van I'd rather get a new one now.

The only distributor I found so far is the Mallory but it's a lot of money and I'm not sure it's worth the expense?

Carburators seem to have more options but since I need to order those parts and likely drive an hour to pick them up I want to make sure they'll fit. (BTW, not sure if my carb is a Holley or the Ford one).

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Mr. D
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Need new carb & distributor, suggestions? Empty Re: Need new carb & distributor, suggestions?

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:19 am

Just get a new =Pertronix dizzy!! As for the carb??many options - even can re-bush / repair that throttle area!! Newer one is best!! cheers
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Need new carb & distributor, suggestions? Empty Re: Need new carb & distributor, suggestions?

Post by Seth G Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:23 am

The vacuum diaphragm unit on the dist can be replaced. Local parts store should be able to get you one.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=936240&cc=1441352&jnid=514&jpid=0

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=45390&cc=1441352&jnid=514&jpid=1

Like Twinpilot mentioned the carb throttle shaft can be bushed by an experienced carb guy or machinist. But probably better to get a new one. The correct bushings are likely available @ Mikes Carb Parts. What carb is on there now? Manual choke?

If it's an Autolite 1100 you may have a hard time finding a good replacement. If it is a Holley, it's already been replaced. The Holley 1940 replacement carb may be easier to come by in good condition, it must be the 240 sized carb and must have a spark control valve for correct load-o-matic operation.

Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks.

It's a manual choke but like I said I'm not sure which one and the van is at the shop now so can't check it out.

I might just change the vacuum diaphragm if new distributor aren't available.

I've been told a 400 Holley would work or this one:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/TMC0/192/02431.oap?year=1967&make=Ford&model=Econoline&vi=1501371&ck=Search_carburator_02431_1501371_2392&keyword=carburator&pt=02431&ppt=C0359#itemDetailTab_\

Since I need a new one, is there a better option for this stock engine?

Cheers
    Mr. D
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 am

You're pretty much stuck with carbs that utilize a spark control valve which have a unique vacuum advance signal for the distributor. That carb in your link is an Autolite 1100 or 1101 and is most likely what is on your van now. That's a good price and it will be a direct bolt on replacement. Be very careful replacing your distributor, it also has to be the correct, vacuum advance only, load-o-matic type. And be advised that when putting a new distributor in the engine the gear must be broken in like when cam and lifters are fired for the first time. They wear in together. A slathering of moly paste or cam break in lube and 20 minutes of alternating between 1500 and 2200 RPM, then cool down. Also be sure and have the crankcase filled with an oil with at least 1200 ppm of ZDDP or use an additive. Good Luck!

Alternatively, b/c you want/need to replace both the carb and the dist, it would be a great time to upgrade to a Duraspark II ignition system, distributor and a post '69 carb or a universal carb like one of those Argentine variable jet Universal 1 barrels. They have a manual choke. Hard to find later ported vacuum carbs w/ manual chokes.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:35 am

Having a 240, you could also find a 2-barrel intake manifold and that would open your options way up(If it all still fit's in the doghouse width-wise, may not). An Autolite 1.01 or 1.08 venturi 2100 would probably be a good fit for the 240. A new Holley 2300 350 cfm could probably be made to work but may be oversized for the engine. Could also go with a Weber 38/38 or 32/36 or Holley 2400 with the appropriate adapter.
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:11 am

Great info, thanks!

What's the advantage to go with the Duratrack II over the stock set up with Pertronix?

I'm not looking for big power, just good fuel economy so I'd probably stay with the stock manifold...
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Hotter spark, wider gap is possible, more efficient, less misfires, better cold starting and presumably better mileage. And you can plug an MSD 6 ignition box right into a Duraspark II dist or use a common HEI 4-pin module on a heatsink w/ a TFI coil. Duraspark I dist look identical to points distributors, but DSII is preferred b/c it is a higher output system than DSI. The additional space inside the cap allows a hotter spark to be transmitted w/o crossfire. DSI is probably no better than pertronix. The other big advantage of going to a Duraspark ignition is getting rid of the Load-O-Matic advance system and carb.

2-barrel manifold probably wouldn't fit anyway.
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:10 am

As SethG said, the DSII with HEI will make an unbelievable difference in idle and throttle response. I've also heard that a couple of horsepower is gained because the engine is running so much more efficient. I can't speak to the big six(240 & 300), but it will make a 200 come alive. I've also purchased one of the new Daytona Parts 1 barrel carbs and it seems to be working great. I've used petronix, but the DSII/HEI setup is better.
    Mike
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:48 am

I'm now sold on the DS2, I'll likely get it from these guys. A bit more than sourcing a used one but new and bench tested/adjusted.
    http://classicinlines.com/DSIIswap.asp

Now on the hunt for the carb! Seth mentioned post 1969, Rf Man one of the Dayton...
    Would the Autolite 1100 I posted above still be a good option?

Cheers
    Mr. D
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:53 pm

The 1100 is incompatible with a DSII distributor. It uses the distributor you already have with vacuum only advance that is tuned specifically for the 1100's spark control valve.
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Seth G wrote:The 1100 is incompatible with a DSII distributor. It uses the distributor you already have with vacuum only advance that is tuned specifically for the 1100's spark control valve.

I figured that much after reading some more on how these things work. Thanks again Seth, you've been extremely helpful!

Cheers
    David
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:05 am

Abitibi----here you go-------  
    http://daytonaparts.com/

You can get a reconditioned DSII from any parts house for about $60.
    Hope this helps

Mike
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:37 am

RF Man wrote:Abitibi----here you go-------  

You can get a reconditioned DSII from any parts house for about $60.
    Hope this helps

Mike

Daytona also sells new "Holley" 1904's made from the original molds as Universal Carb...great carb, I bought one, no issues at all, worth the price.
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks! I'm trying to find a Duraspark2 locally then sourcing a carb that will match, thanks for the leads! Sounds like it's the way to go but that means my van will be off the road longer than just fixing the dist. and getting a new L-o-M carb...
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Mike[/quote]

Daytona also sells new "Holley" 1904's made from the original molds as Universal Carb...great carb, I bought one, no issues at all, worth the price.[/quote]

how much was it? looks good
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:12 pm

I paid $299 + $20 shipping.
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Just a heads up with the DSII if you decide to go that route. I too was going to use a 4-wire GM module, but after researching the pros and cons of both systems (Duraspark module vs. GM module) I ended up going with the bare bones MSD setup - Street Fire. It uses the same harnesses as the 6AL and up but is budget friendly. It gives the same three spark pulses across 20 degrees under 3,000 RPM per cylinder and the same rev limiter. You can get get it anywhere - even Amazon Prime. It's plug & play and fool proof. Just an idea if you are wanting to upgrade your ignition system.
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, might give it a try along with their coil. Still trying to find a Duraspark2, hit 7 scrapyard Today and no luck. There's a few on ebay but can't confirm if they are the right one or not?

If all fails I can either go with a remanufactured Carbone or maybe a MSD dist...
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:44 pm

I ended up going with Das Boot suggestion and found a good deal for the MSD ignition and coil. Just a heads up about the coil, I just about bought their Blaster 2 canister coil but found out it Can't be mounted on its side. Gotta go with their Blaster high Vibration one. About the same price anyway.

Now I need to find myself a distributor asap! Feels like I'll just pull the trigger on one of the re-manufactured Carbone or if I'm allowed to use a MSD in a collector status vehicle I might consider it as well...
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 am

jimthefred wrote:Mike

Daytona also sells new "Holley" 1904's made from the original molds as Universal Carb...great carb, I bought one, no issues at all, worth the price.[/quote]

how much was it? looks good[/quote]
    About the same $300 and change, I added the clamp on air cleaner adapter, well worth it, been pleased with it for almost 2 years now, runs perfect, needed re-tightening of screws once, but that's all....
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Abitibi, I'd go with the oem Duraspark II unit. Anything else is beyond overkill. Besides, I'm not sure they even make a distributor for these engines. Cardone #84-2669 comes with everything you need but plug wires for $50, and is a brand new distributor made in China , not remanufactured. The Cardone #30-2669 is a Motorcraft unit remanufactured in the USA and doesn't come with the rotor, spacer or cap. Some might argue that the remanufactured motorcraft unit is better, but it will likely cost quite a bit more once you buy a quality rotor, spacer and cap. And the remanufactured unit will also likely require a core charge, unlike the new unit. Cardone is an American company and remanufactures almost everything it sells in the USA. It may be advantageous to have the new distributor recurved by a dist guy w/ a dist machine if you can still find one around(ask your local speed shop or machinist guys), but not necessary.

Did you order the MSD to Duraspark wiring kit for the msd box?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Accessories/Harnesses/8869_-_Cable_Assembly,_Amp_Female_To_Ford.aspx

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=842669&p=rock

http://www.carid.com/cardone/domestic-electronic-distributor-mpn-30-2669.html

Vantasia wrote:
    jimthefred wrote:Mike

Daytona also sells new "Holley" 1904's made from the original molds as Universal Carb...great carb, I bought one, no issues at all, worth the price.

how much was it? looks good
    About the same $300 and change, I added the clamp on air cleaner adapter, well worth it, been pleased with it for almost 2 years now, runs perfect, needed re-tightening of screws once, but that's all....

jimthefred, unlike Mike w/his Chevy, you will not be able to properly replace your Econoline carb with this Daytona carb until you upgrade to a Duraspark dist/ignition system. The carb does not have a spark control valve and afaik no Daytona version of it does. The Ford version 1904 does. If your distributor has a 1/4" oil pump drive it will be more difficult to upgrade to a Duraspark distributor.
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm all lined up! I ended up going with this new distributor from O'Reilly. It's a Richporter, has good reviews and comes with cap/rotor (about $85).
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/RPT0/FD11/02780.oap?year=1979&make=Ford&model=F-150&vi=1121061&ck=Search_02780_1121061_-1&pt=02780&ppt=C0334

I also bought new spark plug wires (8mm) from Summit. Cheap but decent ($32).
    Now just waiting for all these parts to arrive...

Thanks again everyone that chipped in, there's a reason this forum has such a good following!

Cheers
    David
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:41 pm

[quote="Seth G"]

Did you order the MSD to Duraspark wiring kit for the msd box?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Accessories/Harnesses/8869_-_Cable_Assembly,_Amp_Female_To_Ford.aspx

[quote="Vantasia"][quote="jimthefred"]Mike

I'm not sure if I need it. The MSD ignition I got is their Street Fire cdi (5 serie) and that harness is for the 7 or 8 serie. I'm confident I'll be able to make my own harness... hope so anyway Wink
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 am

Its easy,,  bump up to the 300 Carter and use also its air cleaner as it has a paper filter. Bolt on no head aches.  NOTE:  They do have an inherient issue with the screws UNDER the carb coming loose at times.  300 with a shorter and larger venturi than the 240 carb...
    vic

Need new carb & distributor, suggestions? 000_0410
    Need new carb & distributor, suggestions? 000_0411

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:29 am