VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Fuel delivery problems with my 318

Fuel delivery problems with my 318 Empty Fuel delivery problems with my 318

Post by Guest Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:45 pm

This might be slightly interesting and helpful if someone else has this problem in the future. My gas gage is inaccurate, the van runs out of gas when the gage says there is still 1/8th of a tank left. So I ran it out of gas and sucked a bunch of crud into my fuel filter. This of course made the engine run like crap and die a lot. So when I figured it out I changed the fuel filters and that helped a lot but it still struggled to stay running at idle in neutral or stopping at stop signs. Today I decided to drop the gas tank and clean out whatever crap was in there. I found a 4" section of a plastic gas can spout and lots of dark sandy type stuff. Also, I noticed the metal fuel line inside the tank was corroded almost completely shut. I cleaned out the line, pressure washed the inside of the tank and blew out the fuel line b/n the tank and the first filter. I'm drying the tank over night and I'll put it back in tomorrow after work. I think this will solve the problem...hopefully. I'll let you know tomorrow...

jocolor
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel delivery problems with my 318 Empty Re: Fuel delivery problems with my 318

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:24 pm

That is rule #1 when you buy an old vehicle, pull the gas tank and check it out. You are asking for a world of trouble if you don't start out with a good clean gas tank. Rule #2 is the radiator,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:15 am

Change the "sock" on the end of the pickup tube too. Year One has them. All Mopars use the same part.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 am

donivan65 wrote:That is rule #1 when you buy an old vehicle, pull the gas tank and check it out. You are asking for a world of trouble if you don't start out with a good clean gas tank. Rule #2 is the radiator,,,,,,,

Yes I should flush the radiator too, thanks. What's rule #3...?
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 am

Brakes and lines?
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 am

When I clean a gas tank, I drop a short piece of heavy chain(about two feet) and a gallon of kereosine and slosh around for five minuets . You wouldnt believe what kind of crap loosens up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 am

#3 is Brakes,,,,,,,,you don't want to be depending on 40 year old brake lines and hoses. And getting rid of a single line master cylinder is a real good investment. Once you get the basic things taken care of, then you can start fixing up all the rest.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:37 am

benwah wrote:When I clean a gas tank, I drop a short piece of heavy chain(about two feet) and a gallon of kereosine and slosh around for five minuets . You wouldnt believe what kind of crap loosens up.

Wow Ben, looks like someone had a clever idea.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:25 pm

And what was the story that old straps on a tank broke and the tank dropped down and burned up someones trailer full of stuff that he was towing?????? That must be rule #1a

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:16 am

ASparrow wrote:
    donivan65 wrote:That is rule #1 when you buy an old vehicle, pull the gas tank and check it out. You are asking for a world of trouble if you don't start out with a good clean gas tank. Rule #2 is the radiator,,,,,,,

Yes I should flush the radiator too, thanks. What's rule #3...?

Rule #3 is first learn Rules 1 & 2. Laughing

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Well I power washed the tank and blew out the lines from the first in-line fuel filter back to the tank and all I can say is ewww! There was much yuck in there that is all gone now but my little 318 is still not happy. It bogs down at 4/3 throttle (under load) and runs like it's got a huge cam in it but it dose not. I thought it might be missing on a cylinder so I cleaned all the plugs and they looked great. Hmmm. The distributer looks to be clean too. I think it might be time to try a new fuel pump. Someone told me that carbon can built up inside the intake manifold and cause this sort of problem too but I think I'll try the easier stuff first.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:53 pm

mabee slopy timing chain

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:05 pm

benwah wrote:mabee slopy timing chain

How would I check this? scratch
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 pm

I would be sure there is no other fuel filter in the line from the tank to the carb. Also check the points setting and timing, and the centrifiugal and vacuum advance in the distributor,,,,,,all these will cut down your power........
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:32 pm

I dont know if you have electrinc igniton or not, but the bushings in the distributors on 318s can wear to the point that you have to run a wider gap on the points, this results in a sorta miss type thing, (point bounce) easy thing to check anyway, pop the cap and see if ya can rattle the shaft around any or try setting the gap and see if it changes as you roll the engine around.
    Maybe this would be a way to check the chain to ,, hand roll the engine and see if there is a delay in the distributer?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:38 pm

I better make a friend around here who knows a bit more about this sort of thing than I do! I'm starting to feel like a numb-skull. scratch

Anyone around here live near Duluth, MN? I'll bring the brew!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I don't know about the rest of the gang here , but I like these forums because they make remember stuff I thought I had forgotten , I feel like an idiot alot, Everytime someone comes up with a problem I slowly gain a dim recollection of similar stuff from ages ago. Sometimes I even remember it right! Anyway If you think you have the fuel problem figured out move to the spark, timing , worn parts stuff like that, if you have points ,, just bring one of the lobes on the distribtor around to open the points, then move the shaft around to see if you can change the gap if thats tight check the lag in the distributor rotor when you roll the engine by hand I dont know what the specs are for this, but if it seems severe it might be the timing chain.at least these checks can be done for free.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Thats why we come here, to find out things we don't know and to see others have done to their vans. All you got to do is ask. Someone will explain it. The most important repair you need to make is keep the points adjusted. They operate by rubbing on the lobes of the distributor. and for every .001 of an inch that they wear down, the timing retards 1 degree. So you might need to adjust the points every 3000 miles. And that rubbing also wears out the distributor bushing. Points are a never ending problem. Thats why they went to electronic ignition,,,,,,,way more trouble free. If you don't keep those points adjusted, your van will never run right.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:43 am