VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Fuel delivery problem

Fuel delivery problem Empty Fuel delivery problem

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi Guys,

we're starting to sort through the van and make a list of its needs. I suppose we should prioritize the list from there but being guys, we'll probably just wing it! We got the ignition wires and all sorted the other day, and we decided to take it for a commando run down the block. Little nervous as its not been plated or registered yet. Seemed ok at first so we went a little further, (all the way across to the only partly developed subdivision across the road) as I turned around and started to head for home, it conked out and wouldnt stay running. Of course, it immediately started snowing and after fiddeling with it for twenty or thirty minutes, started the walk home into the teeth of the snow and wind Mad . Went to look for the appropriate towing gear and my buddy down the road (Ryan doesnt have his license yet) and when we got back there, we monkied with it a little more. After putting the plug wires back to the original configuration (which was wrong by the way) and still having no luck. I got the brilliant idea to put some more gas in the thing. Sure enough, if fired right up. Then I put the plug wires back and it actuallr ran half way decent. The interesting thing is, we added 5 gallons of gas a few days before and it had maybe 6 miles of running time since.
    My question is this I understand fuel tanks are an issue and going through old posts, I've determined that the previous owner replaced the tank in this one. What are the chances that he put the wrong stuff back in the tank and this one isnt reaching the bottom of the tank? And, if thats the case, whats the easiest way to go about fixing this situation.
    Also, when the thing is on, the fuel gauge bounces around like crazy.

Gotta fix this, I aint picking up that kid every time he runs outta gas!

Todd
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel delivery problem Empty Re: Fuel delivery problem

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm

My 1st guess would be a crack in the rubber hose either at the fuel pump or on top of the gas tank,,,,,,when it gets cold, it shrinks and then it sucks air and wont suck the gas out of the tank until you prime the carb and that gets the gas flowing again. Next check the ground wire for the fuel sender,,,should be around the right rear upper shock bolt. Otherwise its the sending unit. Its good to put a clear fuel filter in the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb to see if fuel is flowing. And there could be something floating around in the tank that gets sucked into the pick up tube and starves the engine,,,,then it floats away when the engine dies. Best thing to do is drop the tank,,,,pull the sending unit out and see what the inside of the tank looks like,,,,,you really need to know what condition the tank is in,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks Donivan;
    I'll take a look. I dont think its a line because as soon as I put in more fuel, it started right up no problem. I will definately put the inline clear filter in it and I suppose we should drop the tank for a look see.

Talk to you soon,
    Todd
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:52 pm

A clear fuel filter will help isolate why the carb ran dry. If you see fuel in there and the van quits, then you might have something blocking the main jet or a float sticking. If that filter runs dry, then it is from the fuel pump back, like something in the tank blocking the fuel pick up tube. Thats why they put a fuel sock on the end of the tube. Another test to see if the fuel pump is sucking air is to pressurize the gas tank with air and see if any leaks show up in the fuel hoses and lines from the fuel pump back to the tank. And if if your tank looks like this one,,,,,GOOD LUCK!!!!

Fuel delivery problem VanAgain188

Last edited by donivan65 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:21 am

When I read your thread,kinda concerened me a bit.On another thread,you asked for firing order & location of number 1 plug.I went to my handy dandy Chiltons manual just to be sure,before I posted.Hope i did'nt steer you wrong.
    Donivan is right on your fuel line problem.Theese things are old, and so is the rubber lines.One thing I've found to be true also is what inside theese tanks.When I first got my old Impala,I replaced the sending unit and dropped the tank.Man was I surprized.45 years of dirt,gravel(?),some sort of 'muck' and an old sock(temperary gas cap I guess) was down in there.May be worth a shot.Just my two cents worth.Something to think about anyway.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:43 am

But on that position of #1 plug wire,,,,,it dont matter which of the 6 holes in the distributer cap you put it, as long as you go 1 5 3 6 2 4 clockwise in the cap. Wherever the rotor points WHEN #1 is at Top Dead Center, is right. BUT,,,,where is Top Dead Center???? You can't always trust the notch on the front pulley,,,,,its mounted in rubber and it likes to slip, so you can't trust it to line up the rotor to #1 spot in the cap. And that notch is 2 faced,,,,,,it means #6 also. And you could have other problems,,,,the points wire could be loose or frayed on the breaker plate,,, and when the vacuum advance moves it,,,,the engine dies,,,,then it moves back and the engine starts again,,,,,And you need to have those points adjusted to .016 or that engine will act up,,,,,so you just got to search for clues until you apprehend that Van killer problem,,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 am

Glad you added that pic Donnivan of gas tank.Old resin build-up and funk.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:31 am

On these old vans, you really need to know what the inside of your tank is like,,,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Shame nobody repro's our old tanks ans sending units.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:31 pm

This comes under,,,,,make it work,,,,,,,the 61-64 Impala uses the same 30 ohm resistance unit, but the pick up tube is different,,,,,,so transfer the electrical parts over,,,,,,

Fuel delivery problem Fs10

Fuel delivery problem Fuel_s13
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Are'nt 2nd gen different ohms? Thought I was reading this somewhere else.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:09 pm

That's right,,,the 2nd Gens, (1967-70),,,, are 90 ohm units,,,,which makes them more accurate and steady,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Great info. Thanks again. We've been a little busy the last week or so and havnt had a ton of time to investigate. I've determined that we got the plug wires in the right places. As I said, it was wrong to begin with. Should the weather hold out, we'll invistigate further into what the cause may be. You guys have given us some good info to start. I sure hope the sending unit doesn't look as nasty as Donivan's picture. Jeez man, that thing looks like a serious health hazard. You oughtta be wearin hazmat gear! I'll look for the Impala sending unit for sure. We're gonna try to change hoses, belt . Add an inline filter and then get a look at the rear brakes. I'll keep ya posted
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:41 pm

You should'nt have any trouble finding sending unit on a '64 Imp.Theres a guy in Va. I deal with on my old '60.They are 'Good People'. www.impala-parts.com
    YearOne tends to think a lot of their stuff.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks man.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:20 pm